Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography is unlawful and a sin  (Read 7497 times)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: Photography is unlawful and a sin
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48:16 pm »

Strange how what was old is new again.
Long ago I was taught by my betters to show respect. It involves courtesy and kind regard, and took a long time to learn.
So this is now "PC"? How we have labels for everything. Well, if you like.

David Sutton

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 11:23:31 pm »

The opposite of superior is inferior, not backward.

The opposite of backward is advanced.

So your pontificating is missing the target.

I find it curious that as I get older am not afraid to speak my mind. I don't care so much what people think about that, so am going to reply direct.
I am happy to go with the word "advanced".
That word will be defined by each culture according to what they value, and no doubt to show themselves in the best light.
I like having good food on the table, I like being warm in winter, I like it when people are moved by my photos or music. But the only thing I really value now is what lies in the heart.
According to what I value, are you more advanced?
I can't see it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 12:46:10 am »

Being backward/advanced is a temporal statement of fact... like in 7th vs. 21st century. It is not a moral judgment. A society could be advanced and decadent or backward and moral, or any other combination. By the way, we are talking about societies, and you keep referring to individuals. Once again, you are missing the target.

David Sutton

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 01:28:02 am »

Being backward/advanced is a temporal statement of fact... like in 7th vs. 21st century.
QED

By the way, we are talking about societies, and you keep referring to individuals. Once again, you are missing the target.
A problem with English, Slobodan. I was using "you" in the plural. In fact, "we" would be more accurate I suspect. No moral judgements intended or implied.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 01:38:31 am »

But, but...MY invisible man in the sky says something different than YOUR invisible man in the sky...I KILL YOU!

David Sutton

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 02:11:25 am »

But, but...MY invisible man in the sky says something different than YOUR invisible man in the sky...I KILL YOU!

Indeed. There is a lot of that going on in Syria, and you'll find a thread on what should be done about that here in Coffee Corner.
This is a discussion about a cleric in India issuing a legal opinion about photography. An unpopular one as well, judging by local opinion there.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 04:52:26 am »

Indeed. There is a lot of that going on in Syria, and you'll find a thread on what should be done about that here in Coffee Corner.
This is a discussion about a cleric in India issuing a legal opinion about photography. An unpopular one as well, judging by local opinion there.

No wonder! Bollywood is a lifeline to millions: their jollies, just as Hollywood and Tin Pan Alley are/were to the rest of us. I remember being taken to the movies when we lived on the outskirts of London during WW2... Betty Grable still flickers in my mind. Folks braved being buried alive in rubble to get some relief.

Many, many years later, long after London had become a forgotten part of my juvenile mind, I happened to have reason to go back for a while; as fortune would have it, I returned to the very same local cinema (still not rubble!) and saw Dr No. On the whole, I'd have been happier with old Betty.

I don't think that any 'system' will ever crush the human spirit and its need for expression and/pleasure of some sort.

What's left when you take it away? You might just as well risk your life to get some of it back.

Rob C

BJL

Photography is unlawful and a sin ... say some muslims, not all
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 02:35:50 pm »

Depicting people in illustrations contravenes the laws of all the People Of The Book.  Nothing new in this.
Not all muslim groups hold that, even when it comes to images of humans: note that shiites often carry photographs of religious leaders at public religious events, and some parts of the islamic world have produced some wonderful representational art. For example, visit Google Images and search for "islamic miniatures", or better yet see an exhibition of some of that amazing, finely detailed artwork.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up