Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Blurb projects have you done or have planned?  (Read 2590 times)

Iluvmycam

What Blurb projects have you done or have planned?
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:38:41 am »

Rob C

Re: What Blurb projects have you done or have planned?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:29:01 am »

Who or what is Blurb?

Rob C

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:34:06 am »

Printed a wedding (from LR).
Needed a rerun due to dented edges and a strange line in some images.
Realized it is the same Indigo stuff everyone else uses but even even more pricey then the Eureopean competitors like CeWe, so why bother.
Next book will be from Saal or someone else who uses Injkets on photo paper.
The Indigo output is not my cup of tea for those prices...

cheers
afx

Iluvmycam

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:59:07 am »

Printed a wedding (from LR).
Needed a rerun due to dented edges and a strange line in some images.
Realized it is the same Indigo stuff everyone else uses but even even more pricey then the Eureopean competitors like CeWe, so why bother.
Next book will be from Saal or someone else who uses Injkets on photo paper.
The Indigo output is not my cup of tea for those prices...

cheers
afx

I am doing my first book, so don't know what to expect from Blurb. Are there any good short run book printers in the US beside Blurb?

I wonder if Blurb does better qulaity with their super high priced thick photo papers? I ordered samples of most of their options. So will see what quality I get shortly.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:01:03 am by iluvmycam »

Iluvmycam

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:59:47 am »

Who or what is Blurb?

Rob C

Short run printer on demand that will sell your books.

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 10:02:20 am »

I am doing my first book, so don't know what to expect from Blurb.
The same as from Apple or anyone else using an Indigo.

Are there any good short run book printers in the US beside Blurb?
No idea, my focus is on the other side of the pond.

I wonder if Blurb does better qulaity with their super high priced thick photo papers?
I think their better paper looks better. But order a swatchbook and see for yourself.

cheers
afx

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:06:43 am »

Short run printer on demand that will sell your books.

Thanks for that - had no idea.

I always thought anyone who'd publish my books would have to be nuts; I realise the new business plan would allow me to be nuts all by myself!

;-)

Rob C

Iluvmycam

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 12:51:28 pm »

Thanks for that - had no idea.

I always thought anyone who'd publish my books would have to be nuts; I realise the new business plan would allow me to be nuts all by myself!

;-)

Rob C

Abosolutely! Make a book. I think you can even publish it as a PDF or Ebook and it wont cost you much.

I have 11 books planned. 4 are already shot, the other one's depend on people cooperating to let me shoot.

AWeil

• http://www.awl-photo.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 05:58:08 pm »

Concerning Print on Demand and Blurb: I have been to the Photokina in the last years where all the print on demand companies display their offerings. The offers in price and quality vary immensely but have improved sharply over the last four years. That said Blurb sort of takes the middle ground - both in price and quality.
Yes, the thicker paper feels better. It is more of a haptic experience than a visual experience. The images do not look better but the book gives a more 'valuable' impression.
The thick uncoated matte paper needs special preparation of the image files - the paper used muddies blacks and details, so take that into account when preparing the files (images need to be slightly lighter than for inkjet output/details/sharpening parameters!).
Blurb in general has issues with true black and white images. There is a color shift with images appearing warm in artificial light and greenish in daylight. To soften the effect, it is a good choice to slightly warm up all B/W to a soft sepia tone. Yes, I don't like it either - but it is the best one can do.
Color images have no issues that I could see so far.
Software to prepare the books: Somewhere in between easy and truly terrible. Try the variations for yourself and you will see. It also depends on your personal preferences and how creative you want to get with your books. The more personal customizing and layout specifications you want, the worse it gets - no numerical input in layout, just some diffuse drag the mouse and locked spaces for the cover design. Best choice would be to get the Blurb Plug-In for Adobe In Design and take it from there.
Customer service (in Europe) is excellent. Mistakes on the Blub side are rare and if there is an issue it is promptly taken care of.
Well. In all, it depends on what you need your books for.
Best
Angela

Iluvmycam

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 06:11:25 pm »

Thanks Angela for a great rundown. My first book was largely BW, so I am worried about the color shifts. I should know in a few days one way or another. The rest of my books are mainly color.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 06:56:30 pm »

Blurb in general has issues with true black and white images. There is a color shift with images appearing warm in artificial light and greenish in daylight.
Part of that is due to the Indigo itself, part to their profile and some due to papers (some having HUGE amounts of OBAs). I agree, very neutral B&W is difficult on this kind of output device.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Iluvmycam

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 08:50:16 am »

Have you had any success with adjusting your files to fine tune things at Blurb when ordering additional books?

I was thinking of using the first book as a proof and make adjustments for the 2nd book.

Does that work at Blurb? Is there work dependable as far as repeatability? Or are the same files all over the place with succeeding generations of the same files?
Pages: [1]   Go Up