Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thethered shooting in the field -> any tips on computer / device ...  (Read 2186 times)

julienlanoo

Hi,
I am getting fed up with CF cards, as i am constantly saving them from absolute disaster, ..( using Lexar Professional 800x 8GB UDMA7; as with Lexar i have to save them 2 times less than Sandisks )..

So i am thinking lets go Thethered from now on...

I've seen on the internet a guy who uses a Macbook ( not pro) a white one, where he thrown away the DVD and put a SSD in its place, so one could use the RAID function of mac os X... ( 2 SSD 's mirrored) ..

Any way, my question,
I am in search of or:
-a microcomputer with a firewire port ( Phase one P45+ , wich i use), if possible i would like also 2 SSD's in it, ( and if realy possible a touch screen)
OR
- a weather proof case for the Macbook AIR ( wich i use for thethered inside), thus a case that protects the keyboard and screen from rain/water..

Any tips ? .. or other techniques ? ..

--> the best would be an Ipad with extra space :) / and external HD's :) :p

greets

jerome_m

Re: Thethered shooting in the field -> any tips on computer / device ...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:30:22 pm »

I am getting fed up with CF cards, as i am constantly saving them from absolute disaster

That is both surprising and worrying. Why would you have so many problems with CF cards?

DanielStone

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:46:03 pm »

Are you swapping cards between a dslr(canon, Nikon, etc..) and your digital back?

This caused problems for a friend of mine, now he uses cards designated for each system, separate

just wonderin

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:28:39 pm »

I have never had a problem with CF cards and have been using the same ones for over 6 years.  Only recently, after I upgraded to MF, did I start getting a thick red strip down the middle of my images (maybe once every 500 shots) on one of my cards.  But I attribute this to using an older CF card with a slower speed on a DB. 

I agree with what Daniel said, dont switch cards between systems. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Go Go

• New York Editorial Photographer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 04:26:14 pm »

In addition to the above, older card readers may not be compatible with the new UDMA 7 cards.
If you have an older Lexar reader contact Lexar.

adammork

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 04:40:37 pm »

Same here, never had a single problem with cf-cards - Knock on wood.... With +500.000 exposesures, yes I do timelapses ;-)

Have only used Sandisk - separate sets of cards for each system - allways format in camera - switch off when changing cards....

/adam

andyptak

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 05:24:30 pm »

If you're willing to consider a PC, I have something that is now surplus to my needs that should do the trick. Please PM me if interested. Thanks

julienlanoo

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 04:13:30 am »

Ok 1 i have to say, Lexar after sales are PERFECT!!!, 5h from problem discription to replacing them..
I send an email 18h40 (yesterday) had an awnser at 21h (yesterday) and at 23h they send a mail to replace them..
Realy BRAVO! Lexar for  your prof help..

Why my cards get used up so fast, I DO NOT KNOW, i practically only use my Phase one, they are storred in a think tank Pixel Pocket rocket,

i might not have luck with a production batch , where i ve bought 10 of ..
(in total i've got 40 Lexar 8GB Professional 800x cards, as i like to keep a backup extra of the shoot when i am gone a week on my cards; above the 3 copies on SSD's)

I have the latest readers
and ingest them with Image Ingester Pro ( as for this moment C1PRO ingestion isn't working that good, i am w8ing for the update, and teh IIP ingestion is much more precise, with a extensive Metadata function, Also i don't loose time applying Metadate after the ingestion. -> Note to C1PRO -> Extensive metadata BEFORE ignestion, saves time!! )

It was even worse with Sandisks, any way, a small hands up for the Lexar professional service!!!

julius0377

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 08:00:35 am »

I've seen on the internet a guy who uses a Macbook ( not pro) a white one, where he thrown away the DVD and put a SSD in its place, so one could use the RAID function of mac os X... ( 2 SSD 's mirrored) ..
This is not a great setup unless there is also a backup function being performed.

If you want redundancy (one unit can go down and the other still functions) this is fine. If you want protection against file corruption, you need to get a copy of the file onto another unit, that will not be touched after it has been copied. Mirrored drives just make a mirror, so if you corrupt a file on one, it will be corrupted on the other drive as well.

Any way, my question,
Any tips ? .. or other techniques ? ..
Check out the location cases from these guys: http://www.iworkcase.com/epages/62303355.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62303355/Categories
Also when using a cable, get the Foba Balpe (or Balte depending on camera) to secure the cords to the base plate. It's arca compatible and funcitons with most popular tripod heads that use this standard.
On the topic of cables, here you can find all kinds of lengths/angles: http://www.usbfirewire.com/fcable99.html And if you are on USB, you can get "High-Flex/Continuous Flex" cables that are the kind used in industry robots where they have thousands of movements and bends on the cable every day.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 10:02:33 am »

This is not a great setup unless there is also a backup function being performed.

If you want redundancy (one unit can go down and the other still functions) this is fine. If you want protection against file corruption, you need to get a copy of the file onto another unit, that will not be touched after it has been copied. Mirrored drives just make a mirror, so if you corrupt a file on one, it will be corrupted on the other drive as well.

Absolutely. RAID is almost worse-than-nothing (in that it provides a false sense of security) regarding backup for the use-case the OP describes. Of all the data-loss I've seen our customers suffer the least common is a hard drive crash.

Here are a few of the many ways you can lose data which an internal RAID will not help you with:
User error (not always the photographer, could be the tech/assistant/etc) resulting in deleted, overwritten, misplaced, formatted, or otherwise mishandled.
Software error like the infamous OSX update which changed the way file-caching was handled resulting in, for a brief, but horrifying period before everyone patched their software to accommodate the change, where some software and camera combinations would seem to be recording the images but if the software crashed there were no actual files on the hard drive, only in an ethereal cache which evaporated when the software crashed
"Kaplunk" meaning the laptop/drive/camera took a swim, was pulled off where it was sitting, or otherwise suffered catastrophic damage

Moveover most hard drive failures do not happen spontaneously but are preceded by some period of clicking, deteriorated performance, or won't-boot-first-time indications.

The chance of a hard drive instantly failing in the middle of a shoot is extraordinarily unlikely.

Incremental, user-prompted, frequent, physically isolated backups are IMO the most steadfast way to protect against the myriad sources of loss. They also happen to be extraordinarily easy for almost all use cases. Super Duper, Carbon Copy Cloner, or any of the other backup software and an external drive (or two with one being rotated out and placed outside of the action-area) takes little thought, little money, and is very easy to use.

The only use case I would suggest RAID for is when a loss of the last 3-5 minutes of a shoot would be of enormous consequence*. This is usually, even for high-end high-pressure shoots, not the case and the emphasis should be on protecting against the (far more likely) loss of the last several hours of shooting.

*Since user-prompted backups don't occur in real time (which would be a performance hit) the period between the last user-prompted backup and the next user-prompted backup is the only window in which data could be lost. In every shoot I've been on there has been a period of rest every 3-5 minutes sufficient for a single keystroke to start a backup followed by knowing computer operation might be a hair slower for 10-30 seconds.

narikin

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 01:30:09 pm »

You've been unlucky with your CF cards, is all I can say.  I too have done 50,000+ exposures on CF cards with Phase backs, and never had a problem.  None.

I do also work tethered on location sometimes, mostly when focus is very shallow and I want to be absolutely certain.  Currently using the Surface Pro with USB3 connection to IQseries backs-  works great. Its a pro tablet, with full power laptop processor, not a tablet processor, lightweight, with and great Retina type high density screen, (the Air has a poor screen) so you know what you have shot right away. Capture One is of course free to use in DB mode on any machine, Mac or Windows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up