Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just GOT a Canon Pro-100  (Read 10341 times)

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Just GOT a Canon Pro-100
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:30:51 pm »

Thanks to a previous thread that Dan Berg started about Dye-Sub printing, (see: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=81594.0 ), I learned about the exceptional deal on the Canon Pro 100 printer and shortly ordered one from Adorama.

It got here and I fiddled around with it getting it set up on my Mac with relatively no fuss, no muss and no bother.  The thing is a joy to work with - when you snap the carts in, a little LED lights up, telling you you're good to go and seated properly.  Every last detail of the instructions is thorough and explicit - it's kindof difficult to screw up.

A small pack of Pro Luster paper came with the printer and I made 5-6 small 8 1/2 x 11 prints, and really no problem anywhere.

I got a 50 pack of 13 x 19 Luster only to find that they had sent Pro Semi-Gloss, which turned out to be fine with me.  

This printer is a no-brainer.  After fighting my 44" Z3200 making a quick 13x19 portfolio, I realized that using the Z has been like trying to park a tractor trailer in an underground parking lot, compared to the relative ease and quickness of the Canon Pro-100.

Prints are bullet-proof, with luminous quality and not a glitch anywhere to be seen.

Everything is about all you can ask for, especially for the price.

OK, 100 years instead of 200 years.  Who's counting when it comes to quick portfolio prints.

So now having the big three auto makers in the print shop: Epson 4800, HP Z3200ps 44", and now Canon Pro-100, I'm feeling pretty happy about the state of printing here, now.

I thought I'd rather have the Epson Dye printer, but now, meh... I don't care - the Canon does a great job.

This thing is a point and shoot son-of-a-gun - couldn't be happier.

Easy-peasey setup, took a while, but wow - flawless, "what's on the screen, is on the paper", output.

Happy camper.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:32:24 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

MHMG

Re: Just GOT a Canon Pro-100
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 10:07:29 pm »

OK, 100 years instead of 200 years.  Who's counting when it comes to quick portfolio prints.

Not sure where these longevity numbers are coming from. Even cheap litho inks on acid and lignin filled newspaper pulp will last two hundred years depending on the environmental, handling, and aged print quality assumptions being made. That said, I just bought  a Pixma Pro-100 from Adorama ($399 plus a free package of 13x19 25 sheet Semigloss Paper which then qualifies the purchase for a $300 rebate from Canon). I received it today. I recently concluded that it is now time to revisit the pluses and minuses of dye versus pigment inks. I welcome the printmaking community to join in the fun. I will take this printer and relevant media through initial image quality evaluations, light fade resistance, short term drift, and long term humidity resistance studies on various relevant media over the coming months. These are the kinds of studies that separate pigment versus dye performance over time.  I welcome the printmaking community to help me with media selection choices. Media selection will probably be key to finding what's good and what's not in terms of image durability over time.

Also, I'm genuinely curious. Would you really use this dye-based printer to create portfolio prints for clients' viewing if you intend to deliver pigmented ink prints to clients once they have made their selections?  In my own situation regarding this printer, I want to make prints to be bound in a book where light fade resistance is a lesser requirement but abrasion resistance is a higher requirement. Humidity resistance may be the deal breaker, however, so I need to run some further confirming tests before I fully commit myself to dye-based prints bound in a book.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:48:48 pm by MHMG »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:54:57 am »

I'm curious how good dry lab papers will behave. Actually, I plan to print on them with my iPF8300 - they're cheap and narrow, so I'm planning to use it to make small prints and books.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:07:30 am »

Not sure where these longevity numbers are coming from. Even cheap litho inks on acid and lignin filled newspaper pulp will last two hundred years depending on the environmental, handling, and aged print quality assumptions being made. That said, I just bought  a Pixma Pro-100 from Adorama ($399 plus a free package of 13x19 25 sheet Semigloss Paper which then qualifies the purchase for a $300 rebate from Canon). I received it today. I recently concluded that it is now time to revisit the pluses and minuses of dye versus pigment inks. I welcome the printmaking community to join in the fun. I will take this printer and relevant media through initial image quality evaluations, light fade resistance, short term drift, and long term humidity resistance studies on various relevant media over the coming months. These are the kinds of studies that separate pigment versus dye performance over time.  I welcome the printmaking community to help me with media selection choices. Media selection will probably be key to finding what's good and what's not in terms of image durability over time.

cheers,
Mark

Mark:
I'm interested in your findings. I'm really interested in performance too. What peaks my interest in this printer is the 4 black inks and the top coating. I wonder what the metamerism is like, especially with monochrome printing.

EDIT: Oops, The Pro-100 has only 3 black inks and no top coat. I got my printer models mixed up.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:33:06 am by Jeff Magidson »
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:56:11 am »

cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark -
I'm with you regarding longevity - it will be fascinating to see what the actual longevity of these inks and papers REALLY is, despite what the claims of the manufacturer are (which is where the 100 year longevity numbers come from).  Granted, all the aspects of archival storage vs "out in the full sun" come into play, so it's all relative or irrelevant, whatever the case may be.  Put these prints away in a dark drawer, and assuming the space/enclosure is acid free, etc., who knows just how long they would last.  Put them on a wall in a home in Florida or Arizona where the sun sweeps across, daily, and no matter what, I'd say no way 100 years.  I'll certainly be interested in your scientific findings.

Also, I'm genuinely curious. Would you really use this dye-based printer to create portfolio prints for clients' viewing if you intend to deliver pigmented ink prints to clients once they have made their selections?  In my own situation regarding this printer, I want to make prints to be bound in a book where light fade resistance is a lesser requirement but abrasion resistance is a higher requirement. Humidity resistance may be the deal breaker, however, so I need to run some further confirming tests before I fully commit myself to dye-based prints bound in a book.
cheers,
Mark

Thanks for asking this question, Mark, I'm happy to respond.  I do predominately motion-blur abstracts, that ultimately end up being printed as large as my 44" Z3200ps printer can go.  I've been looking at doing dye-sub on aluminum panels as well.  In discussing my work with a client, I usually put out a portfolio that contains the same image on several different substrates, to give an idea of what the image could be on different materials.  I can and do print 13 x 19 canvas pieces as well, and offer that as an example of what the image looks like on canvas.  My main goal is to sell the image, which will be much larger, and I want all the "pop" I can get.  Often I leave the 13 x 19 image with a client to mull over, and sometimes, they just buy the smaller piece, because they have to have it.

I've been struggling with portfolio formats that are portable, and have been investigating published books.  I've done one with MyPublisher, and found that when using the lay flat pages and going with the super gloss coating on the heaviest sheet that it works somewhat OK, but nothing I would really show.  So I too am interested in a bound book or portfolio and I like the idea of working with these inks and papers, for exactly what you have indicated - abrasion resistance, lesser light fade requirements, etc.

Understanding that one of these dye images is about what one gets when a Chromalux aluminum dye sub print is made, so this print sample represents about what one might see in a Chromalux print, more or less.  When I have the Pixma Pro 100 13 x 19 prints, Z3200ps prints on Matte, and Z3200ps prints on canvas, most of what I can offer for substrate is covered.  These choices give a client plenty opportunity to visualize what surface choices can be.

Also, while we're on the subject of experimenting, I'm doing that with printing many of my abstract images to see and understand what the differences between dye inks and pigmented inks really is, comparing the images side by side.

So far, I'm really liking what this printer can do, and given the fact that I got the Adorama deal - the printer ends up being about $30 bucks, or so after the rebate, with the free paper.

I'll definitely be interested in seeing the outcome of your testing - how about starting with Pro Semi-Gloss Paper?

-Mark Lindquist

http://lindquiststudios.com
http://robograph.com

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:00:47 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 05:08:46 pm »

I'm curious how good dry lab papers will behave. Actually, I plan to print on them with my iPF8300 - they're cheap and narrow, so I'm planning to use it to make small prints and books.

Which dry lab papers are thinking of using?  I notice that Dry Creek Photo has profiles for a lot of the dry lab papers...

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/Profiles/California_profiles.htm

Also, if I may ask, who do you use for binding your books?

Thanks -

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:05:02 am »

I ordered a roll of Tecco PP250 Pearl.

I'm planning to bind my books by myself.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 07:47:08 am »

While Tecco has several papers in roll sizes for the dry minilabs, it also sells the same paper qualities for wide format inkjets up to 60", printers that are 90% pigment ink based.  I do not read anything about dye dedicated or about longevity. The same spectral plot can be found in general Epson and Canon RC papers of 250-260 gsm.

(Chinese) third party suppliers of inkjet paper for dry minilab use exist. The same question arises on the compatibility with dye inks.

The Canon Dreamlab 7 dye ink dry minilab has some compatible papers that I measured. The chance it has a similarity to the ChromaLife100+ inks and papers is high. I doubt there are many Canon dry-minilabs running (very high investment) so as a bulk source for inks and papers there is little chance. The same for the deceased HP dry minilab consumables but that system was based on Vivera pigment inks.

Whatever the longevity; there are several Felix Schoeller dye compatible papers (Jet Speed, Jet Line) for high speed web inkjet printers with good image quality in the printed samples I have. Some swellable from the same source and the same papers rebranded by Kodak which also got a few other swellable types. I do not see a 1:1 relation with the Canon dry minilab papers in any of them. I have no samples of Epson dry minilab papers so far to compare.

So as a source for dye compatible papers it would be interesting to see what the Epson-Fuji-Noritsu dry minilab supplies could offer for the Pixma Pro-100 and how compatible the two dye systems are in chemistry. The Noritsu dry minilab black dye is already used by Paul Roark for some quad system mixes.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2013, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 12:45:35 pm »

Hi Mark L.,
A little report on some issues with the Pictorico Hi Gloss White Film. With Epson 1430 dye Claria Inkset.
Printed 29 -13 x 19 prints on the Pictorico and mounted to gatorboard with a hanger.
Took the entire 2 pack of paper (40 sheets) to get 26 usable.
Most of the throwaways were problems in the mounting process,dirt specks between the paper and adhesive and scratches. The film shows everything.
Just a small speck of dust looks like a crater.
Second problem is the Pictorico is not durable or waterproof. Scratches if you just breath on it,really!
Also I was blowing a little speck of dust off one of the prints and got a little moisture from my breath on the print.
Took my hand to brush it off and ruined the print. The paper cannot take moisture none. Took one of the prints that was damaged when mounting and wet my finger and it stuck right to the paper.
A nicely defined finger print left right in the middle of the paper.
I just read somewhere that someone immersed this paper in water with zero damage. Boy not the stuff I had.
I need to dig a little deeper on this as this was a fairly expensive project for the client and he is going to hang them in a public venue. (I told him to hang them high. :-\)
Did the job at half price not making a dime because I cannot guarantee the paper and glad he was ok with that.
 That will not work in the future as I must be able to stand behind what I sell.

On that note I join your thread (No intent to hijack) on the hunt for a hi-gloss paper for dye ink that has the highest standard of durability.

Ps. As a side note it took all of the original ink carts (Except black) plus 80% of the second full sets of ink to print 40 13 x 19" prints.
Thats a 100 ml of ink at $1.70 a ml. Yes $170.00 worth of ink for 40 prints. (Carts are $21.50 for 13 ml.)
I am normally an OEM ink guy but a Ciss or refillable cart system might be in my future with Inkproducts.com selling dye bulk ink for .10 per ml
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:01:32 pm by Dan Berg »

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 02:55:17 pm »

Did the job at half price not making a dime because I cannot guarantee the paper and glad he was ok with that.

On that note I join your thread (No intent to hijack) on the hunt for a hi-gloss paper for dye ink that has the highest standard of durability.

Canson has a high gloss paper with which I was very impressed. I only had one sheet and know nothing of it's durability but it sure printed well. Ilford has a high gloss film that is supposed to be much like Cibachrome. I haven't used it but that might be another option. I have recently seen two large prints on metal sheets that came from Bay Photo. They were very glossy with rich colors and lots of depth. That might be a good choice also.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 07:06:45 pm »

Hi Mark L.,
A little report on some issues with the Pictorico Hi Gloss White Film. With Epson 1430 dye Claria Inkset.
Printed 29 -13 x 19 prints on the Pictorico and mounted to gatorboard with a hanger.
Took the entire 2 pack of paper (40 sheets) to get 26 usable.
Most of the throwaways were problems in the mounting process,dirt specks between the paper and adhesive and scratches. The film shows everything.
Just a small speck of dust looks like a crater.
Second problem is the Pictorico is not durable or waterproof. Scratches if you just breath on it,really!
Also I was blowing a little speck of dust off one of the prints and got a little moisture from my breath on the print.
Took my hand to brush it off and ruined the print. The paper cannot take moisture none. Took one of the prints that was damaged when mounting and wet my finger and it stuck right to the paper.
A nicely defined finger print left right in the middle of the paper.
I just read somewhere that someone immersed this paper in water with zero damage. Boy not the stuff I had.
I need to dig a little deeper on this as this was a fairly expensive project for the client and he is going to hang them in a public venue. (I told him to hang them high. :-\)

Ps. As a side note it took all of the original ink carts (Except black) plus 80% of the second full sets of ink to print 40 13 x 19" prints.
Thats a 100 ml of ink at $1.70 a ml. Yes $170.00 worth of ink for 40 prints. (Carts are $21.50 for 13 ml.)
I am normally an OEM ink guy but a Ciss or refillable cart system might be in my future with Inkproducts.com selling dye bulk ink for .10 per ml

Dan -

Sorry to be late in responding - am out in Seattle visiting one of our sons.
Thanks for the report - very interesting, and sorry for the problems you encountered.
I've been surprised by the Pro-100 - very solid and almost bullet-proof prints with the pro-semi-gloss.

Too bad that Pictorico didn't work out though.  No need for thumb prints in prints....

I'm going to continue looking for good papers - will keep you posted in regard to what I find that is good.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 08:17:18 pm »

Dan -

Today I made some prints using Ilford Gallerie High Gloss Smooth on the Canon Pro-100.

Absolutely bullet-proof and perfection.  Instant immediate drying and very robust color and depth.  Seems very tough too.

Perhaps you might give it a try.  Ilford has ICC profiles for most printers right on their site under support.

This could be the paper you're looking for.

I made a test print using the modified Atkinson chart, (Printer Evaluation Image), and everything held up with exacting clarity and faithful reproduction.
( http://www.jirvana.com/printer_tests/PrinterEvaluationImage_V002.zip )

I imagine this paper would work perfectly on your Epson 1430 dye printer as well.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 08:31:58 pm »

Mark,

Thank you much. Plan to order some in the morning.
I am anxious to see how smooth the surface is.
 When mounted under plexi any kind of texture is magnified.
Will let you know how they look out of the Epson.
Pages: [1]   Go Up