Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To See the West, Go East  (Read 1777 times)

Arlen

To See the West, Go East
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:04:54 am »

Oregon is a big state, at about 98,000 square miles the 9th largest in the U.S., but with a relatively small population (a bit under 4 million). The great majority of the inhabitants live in a north-south strip west of the Cascades mountain range. This is the temperate coniferous rainforest region that most people associate with the state.

The two-thirds of Oregon that lies east of the Cascades is much less well known. It's a lot drier, with a greater seasonal and daily temperature variation, and a totally different character than the western valleys and mountains. A few weeks ago I posted an image of the skies and fields ("Top of Spanish Hollow") of central Oregon, or "CO" as the locals call it, an area that is just east of the Cascades and is known for its outdoor recreation and ranch life.

But to see the part of Oregon that looks like the "real west"--the kind of terrain that often appeared in old western movies and TV shows--you have to travel farther east. The photo that I'm sharing today portrays an area that would be completely in place in one of those movies. This is John Day country, home of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument and the John Day River, which is just over the central hill in the picture. Arid high desert country, where water is at a premium.

I shot this image some years ago, but just recently I've come back to it and rendered it anew in a monochrome version.

Rob C

Re: To See the West, Go East
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 03:01:46 pm »

An interesting picture, if, for me, a little too contrasty in the land area.

I think it's one of those situations where a change in the surrounding border - removing the grey - would enhance the overall effect.

Since changing the look of the framing of the pix within my website this past month or so, I have realised, more than I was ever aware before, that the tone against the image can create huge optical illusional difference affecting how the pic gets finished off for presentation. In fact, so much so that most of the files were completely altered, not just dimensionally.

Worth your while messing about with experiments against white or black borders - at least a couple of inches wide on the screen.

Rob C

Arlen

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:24:30 pm »

Good suggestions, Rob. Let's see what people think.

In the attached images, I reduced the contrast considerably. The first one has a wide white border. The second is the same but has a wide black border. And the third one has a wide dark gray border, similar to the "default" background in PS CC.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:24:13 am »

As I can't get both the original and the new version on the white b/ground up on screen together, I'm somewhat lost. However, I do prefer the version on the white background when I view it as stand-alone. In fact, I like it a lot.

Good work!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:26:59 am »

Come to think of it, the title could also be an invitaion to visit Almeria's hinterland... just as did a lot of spaghetti western makers. Always wanted to shoot a 'western' calendar but couldn't swing clients in that direction. Their loss, as mine.

Rob C

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:27:23 am »

As I can't get both the original and the new version on the white b/ground up on screen together, I'm somewhat lost. However, I do prefer the version on the white background when I view it as stand-alone. In fact, I like it a lot.

Good work!

Rob C
Download each to your desktop, Rob, and then you can view them in a viewer of your choice or check the EXIF.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:26:05 am »

Download each to your desktop, Rob, and then you can view them in a viewer of your choice or check the EXIF.

David, I'm running two computers by the skin of their teeth as well as of mine! This one is a bit more stable; the other one, for pictures, is sometimes unable to start and at other times quite temperamental. I'm in the proces of trying to get a replacement for the older, Photoshop-using one, but seem to be bogged down with issues regarding the spec. and what I can get here in a more or less standard package... I suppose that the day the thing dies and won't light up anymore, that's the day I jump. So far, I'm saving everything, as it comes into existence, into an external drive.

But thanks for the tip!

Rob C

Arlen

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Rob, and I'm glad that you like it. (Though it seems you may be the only one.  :))

After going back and forth between them, I've decided that I prefer the white background myself. By the way, though I haven't discovered a way to get two attachments to open in separate litebox windows at the same time, there is a little "trick" that I've found helpful in comparing two images. Click on the first thumbnail to open it in the litebox, then while leaving that window open, click on the second attachment. The image will change in the litebox. Then you can use the Alt (Option on Mac) key plus the left and right arrow keys to go back and forth between them, within the same litebox window.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:14:07 pm »

Agree. White border is best to me.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 09:23:08 pm »

It's a very fine shot, Arlen. My only beef is that the contrast still seems a bit steep. I'd certainly keep the lowest clipped blacks, but I think I'd raise the mid-tones enough to put a bit more detail in them. On balance, I love it. It's the kind of territory I'm familiar with and that I love to photograph.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 01:40:51 pm »

The first one in the group of three is my favorite.  It's a very appealing shot.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up