Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Land Before Time - Sunrise from atop the Pilbara's Chichester range  (Read 3974 times)

davidh202

Re: The Land Before Time - Sunrise from atop the Pilbara's Chichester range
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 05:25:34 pm »

Thanks for the replies

David, I'm glad it looks OK to you on your Eizo. I agree with the halo-like effect over the hills being an issue - out of interest, what is your preferred method of fixing this?  

Easy1
Do a quick selection of top of the ridge all the way across the sky line and down a bit.  Go to the select menu -select -modify- contract -about 2 to 3 pixels on the full size file. Then selection - invert. Go to the clone stamp tool - moderately hard, smallish brush and start at either side of the halo and clone across choosing source directly above the halo and dragging the brush across. The inverted selection protects the ridge line from spilling over it while cloning. Practice! You may have to choose a slightly wider contraction of the selection(or refine edge), when you start, depending on just how well the selection covers the ridge line to begin with. You can also do the opposite and select the sky and expand the selection without inverting it this just the opposite as you will already be working  cloning in the selection only. Hope you understand. I will post a link to good tutorial later when I get home...  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:21:38 pm by davidh202 »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 06:58:19 pm »

There are many ways to deal with a halo, and David described one. However, my first step would be to determine what caused the halo in the first place, and then to determine if I would rather deal with the cause or clone out the consequence.

Rob Whitehead

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 12:59:07 pm »

Haven't had time yet to give this a proper re-process from the start (which is what I fully plan to do).

Here's a quick convert to duotone. Sky isn't great as the color version I worked from is a bit overprocessed, so don't worry too much about this. Anyone think this image has potential in this format, or would you stick to color?

Carpe lucem

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 01:05:47 pm »

I am a great fan of warm b&w (LensWorks style), but not that warm (or strong sepia). However, it works rather well in b&w. It should not be a replacement for the color version, but a separate presentation.

Rob Whitehead

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 01:15:40 pm »

I am a great fan of warm b&w (LensWorks style), but not that warm (or strong sepia). However, it works rather well in b&w. It should not be a replacement for the color version, but a separate presentation.

Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, the reason I want to get this right is that I'm pretty happy with the detail captured - both technically with the new Cambo, and also because the recent rain has made the flora more diverse than I've ever seen it (it can't all be due to the optics!)

Check out this comparison of tech camera vs 35mm Canon DSLR (I took the DSLR shot from the same spot early in 2012. Daytime overcast versus first glimmer of dawn in the modern version). I'll let you guess which is which!
Carpe lucem

MoreOrLess

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 04:18:14 pm »

Did you use a grad filter on the original shots? while you've captured the sun itself well the main problem with the colour version for me is the gradual darkening of the hills further up the image and the rest of the sky being far too dark. That's really what causes the problem with the oversaturation IMHO, the colours in the sky don't look natural.

I'd try a brightness layer over the top third except the sun then maybe tone down the saturation of the blues in the same area.

davidh202

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 10:55:05 pm »

My reason for my "fantastic" comment from the beginning, was I saw this image as a surreal  almost other worldly landscape. I did not try to interpret it or pick it apart for it's individual technical merits, or lack thereof! I love the complimentary colors and the composition and that was enough for me! The only thing that I saw that would have been disturbing as I said was the halo which only really shows up in a large version. Leave  the second version be, get rid of the halo, and print it BIG ;-)   
The Canon shot sucks big time

David
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:59:04 pm by davidh202 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up