Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monument Valley Un-Guided Trails  (Read 2853 times)

Canon5D_

• http://www.pbase.com/caesar77
Monument Valley Un-Guided Trails
« on: September 08, 2013, 07:24:01 pm »

We'll be staying in Monument Valley, The View, for one night in a couple weeks.  We cut short a longer stay and opted out of a planned guided sunset tour in order to get to Chaco Canyon a day earlier.  What trails are permissible to walk without a guide near the hotel?

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
Re: Monument Valley Un-Guided Trails
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:53:13 am »

The last time I was in Monument Valley there was only one trail that didn't require a Navajo guide - The Wildcat Trail.  I just checked the Monument Valley Tribal Park website and confirmed that this is the only "self-guided" trail in the park.  Here's a link: http://navajonationparks.org/htm/monumentvalleyhike.htm

slothead

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:44:41 am »

Bret, Ron,
I just noticed this thread and it really got my attention!  I did not realize that Monument Valley was on a reservation!  How many other of the best sites (aside from National Parks) are on reservations?

Bret, Our trip is still on, but it's been delayed until about this time next year.  I may come out alone sooner, but the family thing will be a year from now.
Tom
Nikon D800, D750, N1 J5, Sony A7R, a6000, a5100, Oly E-P2IR
and an assortment of lenses, adapters and tripods

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 12:20:00 pm »

Bret, Ron,
I just noticed this thread and it really got my attention!  I did not realize that Monument Valley was on a reservation!  How many other of the best sites (aside from National Parks) are on reservations?

Bret, Our trip is still on, but it's been delayed until about this time next year.  I may come out alone sooner, but the family thing will be a year from now.

Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly and Antelope Canyon are the most notable locations on the reservation.

slothead

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:08:56 pm »

Thanks Bret,  Do they all require quided tours for the most part (well at least except for the aforementioned one in Monument Valley)?  Wait a minute, you said Antelope Canyon!  Isn't that in AZ near Page?  Or is there another one in Utah?
Tom
Nikon D800, D750, N1 J5, Sony A7R, a6000, a5100, Oly E-P2IR
and an assortment of lenses, adapters and tripods

Canon5D_

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:31:44 pm »

Thank you Bret!  I thought as much. We'll be in your neck of the "woods", Moab, before Monument Valley.  Hopefully, the recent spate of weather will have subsided sans the rain but keeping the clouds!  Just read that tourists were delayed getting to Delicate Arch due to flash flooding.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:13:01 am »

Thank you Bret!  I thought as much. We'll be in your neck of the "woods", Moab, before Monument Valley.  Hopefully, the recent spate of weather will have subsided sans the rain but keeping the clouds!  Just read that tourists were delayed getting to Delicate Arch due to flash flooding.

Yes, the NPS shut down the road into Delicate Arch early yesterday morning due to flash floods.  It rained all day so I assumed it remained closed.  I do hope the weather cooperates on your visit.  If it doesn't and the rain persists, be sure to take a drive down Kane Creek Road and into Arches - literally one impressive waterfall after another!  If you have a moment, stop by my studio in Moab to say "hi".  The Edge Gallery is at 137 N. Main Street.  We're always happy to offer suggestions to visiting photographers of places to photograph.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 08:15:22 am »

Thanks Bret,  Do they all require quided tours for the most part (well at least except for the aforementioned one in Monument Valley)?  Wait a minute, you said Antelope Canyon!  Isn't that in AZ near Page?  Or is there another one in Utah?

Antelope Canyon is in Arizona.  Actually, so is part of Monument Valley.  You asked what what else was on the rez so I mentioned a few of the popular ones in this general area.

Yes, all of those locations require guided tours.  You *might* be able to photograph from the rim of Canyon de Chelly without a guide but I can't confirm that as I've not tried it.  Best to call ahead for information.  The Natives don't take very kindly to folks not following their rules.

Canon5D_

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »

Bret: You've got me puzzled with Kane Creek Road.  I don't see this road entering the national park.  Kane Creek Blvd turns into Kane Creek Springs Rd running along the Colorado generally South.  What am I missing?

Coincidentally, my wife wants to drive down 279 on the north side of the Colorado down to the Potash mining area.  We had wanted to get down to the Needles Visitor Center but the drive wastes too much time.  We'll explore 128 and 279 unless you've got better suggestions.

This is our second visit to Arches/Moab. We were back here in 2004; hiked all the major tourist routes in Arches and did the usual Dead Horse Point and Island in the Sky.  Regarding your studio, I became aware of your website via other means sometime ago.  Thoroughly enjoyed the layout and your work. We'll definitely drop by if your open in the evening. We'll be in town for 3 nights.  Wish I had a rented tricked out Wrangler to get into the "real" backcountry as you have particularly out near Druid Arch. I may have to do that one solo since it's a overnighter/backpack in.  This time around we'll be in a standard rental car.

mhecker*

• Contributor
    • http://www.wyofoto.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 09:42:02 pm »

You most definitely can photograph from the rim of Canyon de Chelly.
You can also hike down to and photograph White House Ruin without a guide at no extra cost.

For more info check out our Navajoland Photoguide.

See http://wyofoto.com/Photo_maps/Navajoland/Navajoland_Photoguide_PDF.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up