Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson7900 print resolution & Hahnemuhle glossy papers  (Read 2331 times)

rxchaos

Epson7900 print resolution & Hahnemuhle glossy papers
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:38:35 pm »

I know the Epson is capable of printing at 2880x1400.  Hanhemuhle suggest using 1440 in their guide for printing on Hahnemuhle FineArt papers. Is there any reason why the recommended resolution is 1440x720 and not the higher 2880x1440. Is it that it doesn't make a noticeable difference and it'll be a waste of ink? I use a Mac (OS 10.8) if that's information is going to be of any help.

My images are sent from Photoshop to the Epson7900 via Mirage. The Hahnemuhle media package on Mirage also has the maximum resolution set to 1400x720. One could create a custom profile at a higher resolution; just wondering whether the difference will be noticeable.

Thank you.

-c

hugowolf

Re: Epson7900 print resolution & Hahnemuhle glossy papers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:10:55 pm »

I know the Epson is capable of printing at 2880x1400.  Hanhemuhle suggest using 1440 in their guide for printing on Hahnemuhle FineArt papers. Is there any reason why the recommended resolution is 1440x720 and not the higher 2880x1440. Is it that it doesn't make a noticeable difference and it'll be a waste of ink? I use a Mac (OS 10.8) if that's information is going to be of any help.

There is very little ink usage difference between 1440 and 2880; I don't think that is a factor.

My images are sent from Photoshop to the Epson7900 via Mirage. The Hahnemuhle media package on Mirage also has the maximum resolution set to 1400x720. One could create a custom profile at a higher resolution; just wondering whether the difference will be noticeable.

Why not try it without the RIP and see what you feel. Personally, there are very few papers for which I use 2880 dpi.

Brian A

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:13:43 pm »

Hi,

I can't answer that question for you, because I do not have access to that printer model. However, you can see and/or measure if it makes a difference yourself.

When you download my free resolution target, you can print that, and it will allow you to tell not only the horizontal and vertical resolution, but also the achievable resolution at many other angles. As a bonus, it will also leave you a test target for determining the resolution of cameras.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

rxchaos

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:10:25 pm »

I can't see a difference between 2880 and 1400 immaterial of whether I print directly from PhotoshopCS6 or through a RIP (Mirage), and that's the case with Hahnemuhle's glossy (Baryta FB350) and matte (MuseumEtching and WilliamTurner) papers. 

Mirage's and Hahnemuhle's support say to to just use 1440.

-c

rxchaos

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 07:52:54 pm »

Thank you for the response and for making the test targets available. I downloaded your test target and printed it at both 2880 and 1440 resolutions on Hahnemühle Baryta FB350 paper; I can't tell the difference. OK, I'm not looking at the print via a magnifier.

Cheers...

-c

JohnAONeill

• http://www.johnanthonyoneill.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:17:38 pm »

I think that the dot gain (spread of ink as it is absorbed by the paper) is slightly higher on fine art matte papers than coated glossy papers. Printing at 2880 uses a finer dot pattern but since the ink spreads, the actual resolution gain is of no real benefit and uses more ink. For baryta coated fine art papers like Ilford Gallerie Gold Fibre Silk, you will see the resolution gain when printing at 2880.

Best regards
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up