Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matte Papers  (Read 12485 times)

NeroMetalliko

Re: Matte Papers
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 02:28:37 pm »

Hello,

I have intensely tried some of the papers above mentioned during my long B&W linearization development test
(I will update soon the related thread with the latest evolutions),
so I like to add just my little contribute to this argument humbly based on my own experience (and tastes).

Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Satin 310 is a very particular media.  
As Ernst and Mark have already said, it is not OBA free but it is not too much OBA loaded.
The surface is not smooth at all, coupled with the semi-matte finish reflections and their strong gloss differential this could easily be disturbing and compromise the potential good black density of the paper. I have used it with Matte Black.
In addition this paper is a nightmare to linearize in the blacks, probably due to their unique finish, it was one of the most irregular I have seen.
The canned profile crushes the black a little bit (at least with my Epson R3000).
If you like heavy contrast prints this could not be a big concern, maybe,
but in that case the gloss differential between white zones and black could be not so pleasant and this aspect is to keep under consideration.
For these reasons I strongly recommend you to try a sample pack before buying a full box.

Hahnemuehle Photo Rag 308 is an average smooth paper, with decent overall density performances, and only a little bit of OBA's, but I was not able to fall in love with it

Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Ultrasmooth 305 is the smoothest paper I have ever seen. Black density is acceptable. It has a little bit of OBA's more that the Photo Rag 308.
Overall maybe is my preferred of the Hahnemuehle matte, but still I'm not going crazy for it.

Hahnemuehle Museum Etching 350 is a reference media without OBA's, but is not smooth and the tone is not neutral.
Hahnemuehle German Etching 310 is has a evident texture too and it has some OBA's.
Hahnemuehle Bamboo is simply too much colored for my tastes.

Canson Rag Photographique 310 is one of the smoothest surfaces I have ever seen (maybe surpassed only by Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Ultrasmooth 305)
and it is very neutral too even being totally without OBAs. This is a big plus.
Unlucky, in my test this paper was not a champion of black density, so I have seen that the prints are a little bit less convincing than others.

Canson BFK Rives 310 has similar qualities of the Rag Photographique 310 but it has a evident texture, so, take a look to a sample pack if you are looking for smooth surfaces before buying a full box.

Ilford Gold Gotton Smooth 330 is a stiff smooth cotton rag paper without OBA's.
I have seen decent performances for black density but the paper color is not neutral as the Canson, for example.

And now the Epson papers:
The Cold Press ones are too much textured for me. I don't like it.

The Hot Press ones are not so smooth as Canson Rag Photographique or HPR Ultrasmooth, but they are "just right", smooth enough to don't appear plain flat but neither textured in a disturbing way for me, so I like it.

The Hot Press Bright 330 is an incredible media. smooth enough but not to much as I have told.
It has simply the best black ink performances of all the matte papers I have tested and is fine to the touch
What you have to accept is that the core is loaded with OBA's, and in UV presence the paper color is very bright.
However, in indoor condition with limited UV the paper tone is perfect.
Typically I'm very concerned regarding OBA content in papers, but I have to admit that the Aardenburg light fading test for this paper are surprisingly very good, as Mark can probably confirm. I think that B&W print will last very long with this paper.
Based on what I have tested and all these other considerations, against my adversity to OBA's, I have to frankly admit that this paper is very strongly worth considering.
Color an B&W prints are really beautiful, and I have never any had scratch or feeding issues with A3+ sheets.
Note that this paper is sold only in big format, starting from A3+, so for little prints you have to cut it.

The Hot Press Natural 330, it shares all the quality of the Bright with the plus that it has no OBA,
the flip side is that the paper color is not neutral at all, it is less neutral than the Ilford Gold Cotton Smooth 330 if I remember correctly.
For this reason, in my opinion, the resulting prints are less convincing than the ones made with the Bright one.
The light fastness test results are similar to the Bright one, if I'm not wrong,
so the final choice is based on the paper tone color that suit best your needs.

As final note I add that it was difficult for me to get a Epson sample pack for these papers before buying some box,
but avoid the error to be fooled by the fact the these are Epson branded and not some other well regarded brand name:
I strongly suggest you to keep these papers in consideration before deciding the best one for you.

I have never tested Museo or Innova papers because I'm not able to find it easily here, so, no word on it.

I hope this could help you in your decisions.
Let we know your findings.

Ciao.

Andrea :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:31:46 pm by NeroMetalliko »

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 07:37:18 pm »

there is another paper that deserves much more notice than it gets in this catagory, smooth, no OBAs, 100% cotton. PremierArt Generations Alise Museum Grade. Excellent dmax and gamut, excellent price. Highly recommended...
Tyler

hugowolf

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 12:56:31 am »

there is another paper that deserves much more notice than it gets in this catagory, smooth, no OBAs, 100% cotton. PremierArt Generations Alise Museum Grade. Excellent dmax and gamut, excellent price. Highly recommended...
Tyler

And a sample pack would be handy indeed.

Brian A

IWC Doppel

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 03:08:29 pm »

Tyler

Great write up, much appreciated. I am having a dabble with some Innova paper, I do almost 99% in B&W using ABW mode with manual adjustments as required. Epson papers do seem better in the dark shadows from the off. I have alos bought a sample pack off the alternatives to Epson Cold press, I'm odd preferring textured papers, maybe my style of photography, my preference but seemingly more depth than super smooth to my eyes.

For what it's worth I have found it difficult to 'bond' with Museo Max 365g

My pile of sample prints for matt papers is 25mm thick now..... HFA, Canson, Fotospeed, Innova, Museo and a few odd papers

fetish

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 04:20:52 pm »

For what it's worth I have found it difficult to 'bond' with Museo Max 365g

Museo Max is a lost cause in my opinion. The performance is way inferior to the portfolio rag. Maybe it was created as an 'economical' option to the portfolio rag?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up