Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choice: EIZO CG246 or NEC PA242W?  (Read 3687 times)

fhammond

Choice: EIZO CG246 or NEC PA242W?
« on: September 07, 2013, 01:53:04 pm »

Hi all,

I'm planning on purchasing a 24" color-accurate display for use with a Macintosh (currently a MacBook Pro but probably a new Mac Pro when they're available) and an Epson 3800.

I'm looking at the EIZO CG246 and the NEC PA242W with SpectraViewII. I like the idea of the EIZO's built-in calibrator but I like what seems to be a slightly newer LCD technology on the NEC. The EIZO is more expensive but both are within my budget, so I'm not concerned about the price difference.

Does anyone have experience with both displays?

Thanks!

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Choice: EIZO CG246 or NEC PA242W?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:12:35 pm »

New PA242W is really nice. I'd rather get a display with external sensor, that can be used with other displays. In comparison to EIZO new NEC has slightly larger gamut, and has no fan, it also has useful Multiprofiler software. The advantage of EIZO CG246 is better black in dark surrounding, I also like ColorNavigator profiling software.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

fhammond

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:48:57 pm »

Hi Marcin,

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know if the NEC's sensor can be used with other display? I thought it was a special version of another company's sensor and could only be used with an NEC display.

What's the benefit of the Multiprofiler software?

Thanks!

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 02:59:41 pm »

I've used both before, they are actually pretty much the same in image quality.
But I just like Eizo a bit more, maybe it's just the fame of it.

aaron

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 03:32:39 pm »

NEC SpectraSensor can be used with ArgyllCMS + dispcalGUI, or basICColor display, so you can use it with other display as well. You can also buy NEC SpectraView II software, and X-Rite i1Display Pro sensor instead of SpectraSensor - i1Display Pro comes with decent i1Profiler software.

Multiprofiler can calibrate and profile NEC PA without sensor. It can also be used to modify calibration made with SVII, apply Ambient Light Compensation, Metameric correction, and 3DLUT simulation of a color space defined in a LUT type ICC profile.

Hi Marcin,

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know if the NEC's sensor can be used with other display? I thought it was a special version of another company's sensor and could only be used with an NEC display.

What's the benefit of the Multiprofiler software?

Thanks!
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up