Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Farm in Eyjafjöll, Iceland  (Read 8183 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Farm in Eyjafjöll, Iceland
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:28:59 pm »

The Sauðhúsvöllur farm in south Iceland.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Farm in Eyjafjöll, Iceland
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:09:40 pm »

What a beautiful scene! But, I've got to say that the red roof looks fake. Red, I am sure, but not that red! I wonder what the unprocessed scene looks like.

I also suggest to crop out most of the sky - it s foggy and pure white and not so interesting.

I will say that the field in the foreground and the hills in the background are terrific.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 01:28:55 pm »

Funny - I see a distinctly square image with the same sky and foreground and the farm in the bottom right.

I agree about the red roof. Not having been there at the time, it may well have been that red or it could be the artist's vision for the scene. But with the rest of the scene coming across so naturally, the ultra-red roof does seem out of place. Given your past work, it seems unusual for you, Rajan.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 01:35:54 pm »

Peter and Terry,

Thank you for your critiques.  The colour of the roof was boosted in this instance, yes.  However, I should also mention that such rich colour is not at all unusual in Iceland, especially in overcast, moist conditions.

Here is a screen grab of the default RAW file -

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 01:43:33 pm »

Here is a revised version with the red tamped down.

leeonmaui

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 05:34:57 pm »

Aloha,
I don't see how this image could work, there is just not enough meat to it, and the white building and farm equipment is always  going to trump the red roof. That's why you thought you needed to push the red maybe, but it will never sit properly on the white building without any other support, I've seen image like this, and they can be classic work but there just needs to be more support from other elements, more harmony. The red would act as an "Alien color" a place for you to start telling your story, but lacking any other harmonious elements our eye is just going to move around from contrasting color to contrasting color.

Pretty tough light to work in anyway....

I hope you hauled ass over to the hills behind it and shot some of the interaction between the mist and rocky hillside.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 08:40:12 pm »

I have to wonder how many of you who are bothered by the red roof have ever been to Iceland. To me, it looks like a quintessentially Icelandic scene. Perhaps because the landscape is so wild, Icelanders seem to love to us extremely bright accent colors on their houses.

So to me, having spent three weeks in Iceland 40 years ago, the original post looks the most believable.

It works for me.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Paulowen

• www.iceland-photography-tours.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 03:45:05 am »

I've visited 4 times and take it from me, when its damp and the mist is rolling in, those red roofs have got a definite glow to them! I have taken the liberty of adding my own take to this scene and hope Rajan doesn't mind? If he does then please delete this!!

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 03:15:47 pm »

Eric and Paul - very true, the remarks about the colours in Iceland.  To me this kind of scene typifies life in south Iceland (away from the Reykjavík area).

Paul - I do have a monochromatic interpretation of the same image in my blog entry.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:18:02 pm by Rajan Parrikar »
Pages: [1]   Go Up