Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help very odd communication error - Epson  (Read 4637 times)

photodepartment

Help very odd communication error - Epson
« on: September 06, 2013, 02:06:39 pm »

Hello,
I have a new interesting issue after applying the latest epson update. (Mac os 10.8 pro tower 3.1 and 5.1s) The Epson driver after a paper jam will report a communication error. The problem is it does not clear, ever. I can print photos, check supply levels, test prints, ect. Everything behaves normally but there is a red icon badge and a grey 'communication error' box in the print queue. I have tried re starting, power cycling the printer (4880 and a 4900 both will do the same thing) The only solution is to reset the print system and re-add the printers. The problem with this is the lab I am managing has 20 computers, 4 printers, and a print server. It is a huge pain to re-add printers. Any ideas?
Alex

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: Help very odd communication error - Epson
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:39:35 am »

I have the same communication error on my 4900.  Like you said, everything works fine but the error message still appears, but only in the print queue window - nothing on the printer itself.  I haven't been able to figure it out (haven't tried re-adding the printer) but would also like to know why this is happening.
Mike Guilbault

John Chardine

• chardine photography
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 07:24:34 pm »

I've seen the same issue with my R2000. The rather brute-force solution is to remove the printer from the list and then add it back. It must be a bug in the Epson printer driver.

photodepartment

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:46:13 pm »

John, yes that works perfectly. it is as you said a brutish solution.

I had been hoping for a fix that did not involve re-adding and re-adding the custom presets 21 computers at least once a day. I knew it was a long shot, Epson has been unhelpful telling me printer sharing won't work (LOL, ten years history with printer sharing). If and (sadly) when it returns I am planning to uninstall the epson driver 100% and then reinstall the pre update driver and hope it is stable again.

Thank you both for your replies! Maybe someone will come up with a magic reset the driver moment that will work. It is good to know I am not the only person with this issue.

Just thinking out loud I wonder it a kill command would force the driver to reset its self?

photodepartment

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 07:57:10 pm »

I have after a lot of mucking about found a work around of sorts. It is kludge but it is easier than reloading the driver.

If you have the red badge that will not leave, sadly you need to reset the printer system, delete and re-load the driver and add all the printers again, no solution there.

The issue seems to arise between the client and the server. If you have a client send a print the printer report an error (paper out for example) the next action I (and others) usually take is to delete the job from the server. DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

If the job is deleted from the client and the error is resolved the red badge clears correctly.

It is some kind of issue with the shared queue and a error being held by the client and reported to the sever. Perhaps removing the offending file from the client cache might work as well I have not tried this yet.

I hope this helps.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:21:34 pm »

I never have really figured out what a client is and what the server is.  Which is what?
Mike Guilbault

photodepartment

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 04:48:20 pm »

Client is a computer connected to the print server, connected to a printer remotely. The print server is the computer directly printer and delivering print services to the 'client' computers. Sometimes they get referred to as master and slave but personally I find the connotation offensive. It is not common usage, thankfully.

More detailed definition...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_(computing)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client_(computing)

phototoyo

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 11:52:24 am »

Epson released new drivers for Mac OS (ver 9.17) on the first of November. Up until this moment I was having the same issue in my lab (was happening on both 4880s and 4900s). I updated drivers and the issue went away. I can't speak for Windows or any other Epson printer models, but it seems they updated all their drivers "soon" after the release of OS Mavericks. Try updating drivers and it should resolve your issues!
Pages: [1]   Go Up