Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: 6 September, 2013 - Blackmagic Cinema Camera First Impressions  (Read 4888 times)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: 6 September, 2013 - Blackmagic Cinema Camera First Impressions
« on: September 05, 2013, 07:10:44 pm »

First, congratulations on creating a time machine ;)

2nd, I'd love to see side by side examples of this compared to current DSLR video to show exactly what you are describing as SO much better.  I liked your short production, very cool scenes.  There were a few where I suspect the dynamic range would have been an issue in other cams, but nothing else jumped out at me as unusual in the least.  This is where a side by side example would come in handy.

3rd, I'm glad you added the written caveat about your 'interview' video NOT being an example of technical quality because it looks HORRIBLE especially in skin tones, Chris's shirt, etc.  Crushed highlights, looks like the gamma is off, blocky, compressed etc.  I assume the editing/compressing/rendering learning curve will be a little more involved than a std cam because of the different range of data.

michael

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:15:49 pm »

Just a matter of time availability. As I wrote, it was a "quick and dirty".

Michael

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:25:37 am »

"Stone age beauty." LOL. Unfortunately the 4K version has been delayed by yet another month...or more.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

trichardlin

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:23:04 pm »

... I'd love to see side by side examples of this compared to current DSLR video to show exactly what you are describing as SO much better...

That's a good suggestion.  Just remember that sometimes, "so much better" could mean barely visible differences. 

For many people, the quality of the final video is limited by the knowledge and skill of the videographer, not the equipment.  Video is such a complex form of art, both in production and in appreciation, I would even venture to say that image quality would be one the last things I worry about.

Peace,
Richard

michael

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:00:16 pm »

For many people, the quality of the final video is limited by the knowledge and skill of the videographer, not the equipment.  Video is such a complex form of art, both in production and in appreciation, I would even venture to say that image quality would be one the last things I worry about.

Reducing things to the lowest common denominator proves nothing.

A crap movie or video shot with sub-optimum image quality will be crap. A wonderful story, beautifully shot with crap image quality will be the worse for it. But, a wonderful story, beautifully shot with great image quality will sing.

Michael

trichardlin

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 02:32:16 am »

Reducing things to the lowest common denominator proves nothing. ...

Not trying to reduce anything, just setting priority.  At least for me, being a hobby photographer, my ability to make a decent video is limited.  For example, I don't know what software to use for grading (I had to look it up to know what grading mean.)  Since this site started out as, and until very recently remained, a photography site, I can imagine there are quite a few readers like me in terms of our depth of knowledge in the video department.  I just feel a half-baked product with limited software is not very useful, that's all.

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 03:43:36 am »

Really, to be honest, if this is 'raw', give me restricted colour space, and baked JPG type images.

I understand this is 'quick and dirty', but Chris' and Michael's faces look very much over-processed. If you're shooting a simple interview situation and get results like this, you should go back to basics and not try to repair in post.

BTW, the lighting ratio on Michael's face in the first part in front of the monitor is way too high. I'd rather shoot 'baked JPG type images' and get the light right on the set than try to repair this from 'raw'.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:30:53 am »

Really, to be honest, if this is 'raw', give me restricted colour space, and baked JPG type images.
I understand this is 'quick and dirty', but Chris' and Michael's faces look very much over-processed. If you're shooting a simple interview situation and get results like this, you should go back to basics and not try to repair in post.
BTW, the lighting ratio on Michael's face in the first part in front of the monitor is way too high. I'd rather shoot 'baked JPG type images' and get the light right on the set than try to repair this from 'raw'.
Absolutely. People have been shooting great video straight out of camera for decades, all it takes is skill and experience.

bcooter

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 09:16:45 am »

Absolutely. People have been shooting great video straight out of camera for decades, all it takes is skill and experience.

If you have the time, you can make a $1200 Gh3 as good an image as a 4k 5k RED . . . if you have the time.

If your running multiple cameras, need to match color and tone and your working fast, raw can be a lifesaver.

Also never underestimate that how good a piece of footage looks on the day, it still has to match what was shot before and after.

IMO

BC

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 09:38:48 am »

Also never underestimate that how good a piece of footage looks on the day, it still has to match what was shot before and after.
As I said, skill and experience solve most problems.
I've worked with vision engineers who could line up and match cameras so consistently that pictures matched even when taken weeks apart.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 11:19:26 am »

I'm looking forward to the on-going coverage of this camera.  When I saw it at NAB, my initial impression was, "Aside from tripod use on an interior set, this thing is basically unusable."  The rear screen is not gonna work in sunlight.  Image quality aside, if you can't see the image in the viewfinder, to the Operator it's useless.

And, as Michael says, absent some kind of complex rig, hand-held work is out. 

Silly, really.  Raw or not.

MarkL

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 06:13:36 pm »

2nd, I'd love to see side by side examples of this compared to current DSLR video to show exactly what you are describing as SO much better.  I liked your short production, very cool scenes.  There were a few where I suspect the dynamic range would have been an issue in other cams, but nothing else jumped out at me as unusual in the least.  This is where a side by side example would come in handy.

michael

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 08:02:02 pm »

Watch the comparison.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Now for the 4K model. :-)

Michael

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 10:47:28 pm »

Gotta admit, pretty impressive.  Especially the night exteriors.

michael

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 03:25:55 pm »

Yesterday I read a blog entry by a professional colorist, who makes his living working on Hollywood features and other major productions. Lots of RED Epic and Arri Alexa footage crosses his screen every day.

He bought a Black Magic Cinema camera for his own use, not being able to afford any of the aforementioned alternatives. He reports that his BM footage stand side by side with that from ANY camera currently being used in Hollywood.

The rest is lenses, technique and usability.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up