Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for a program to create HDR images which are then stitched?  (Read 2611 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com

I have PS CS5 and my camera produces raw (.NEF) files that are not compatible with CS5. The camera came with ViewNX2 that does a fine job of exporting .nef files to .tif files.

I work with mostly digitally stitched images. The problem I’m having is that on the couple of occasions I’ve exported to .tif files and then used those for a HDR blend, the results have been less than satisfactory. This is in dramatic contrast to starting with .nef files and using those to create the HDR images which are then stitched together.

Rather than buying, er, renting a newer version of PS, are there other programs that do a good job with HDR, and also which support newer camera file types?

TIA

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Recommendations for a program to create HDR images which are then stitched?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:29:14 pm »

I work with mostly digitally stitched images. The problem I’m having is that on the couple of occasions I’ve exported to .tif files and then used those for a HDR blend, the results have been less than satisfactory.

Hi Justan,

But that doesn't mean that other programs than the one(s) you've used also have issues with TIFFs.

This is in dramatic contrast to starting with .nef files and using those to create the HDR images which are then stitched together.

Remember though, that HDR programs are not necessarily also good Raw converters, in fact most are not.

Rather than buying, er, renting a newer version of PS, are there other programs that do a good job with HDR, and also which support newer camera file types?

HDR programs may not update their Raw conversion options as often as dedicated Raw-converters. The current, IMHO, best HDR program for natural looking results is still SNS-HDR Pro. It uses the DCRaw converter to convert Raws, but also handles TIFFs and JPEGs very well. You can simply update the separate DCRaw program file with the latest version that supports new camera models.

In fact, I prefer TIFF input because that allows my Raw-converter to correct Chromatic Aberrations, which will stick out like a sore thumb in HDRs. It also allows to use other features and other tools, such as different White-balance for Shadow images (e.g. make them less blue) and Highlight images before blending them together. Do not dismiss TIFFs based on earlier experience.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

RFPhotography

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:27:38 pm »

I agree with much of what Bart has said.  But I'm also a bit confused as to your workflow and intended end result.  You say you are working with 'stitching' images but also say you're using HDR software.  Are you trying to do an HDR merge on stitched images (or vice versa) or are you trying to use HDR software to do stitching?  If you can clarify, I may have a couple ideas.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:56:40 am »

I agree with much of what Bart has said.  But I'm also a bit confused as to your workflow and intended end result.  You say you are working with 'stitching' images but also say you're using HDR software.  Are you trying to do an HDR merge on stitched images (or vice versa) or are you trying to use HDR software to do stitching?  If you can clarify, I may have a couple ideas.

Hi Bob,

Until Justan responds, there are two possible approaches one could take for the creation of HDR panoramas (or higher resolution normal FOV images).
1. Stitch several panoramas of the same scene with different exposures for each pano, and blend or HDR composite and tonemap those complete panos.
2. Blend or HDR composite and tonemap the individual tiles of the pano first, then stitch the tonemapped tiles to a complete pano.

IMHO, the second approach is superior.

The main benefits of the second method are:
a. Blending/compositing full size pano's will require a lot of memory for processing, while blending tiles is much faster with a lower memory footprint.
b. One can adjust the White-balance and exposure/brightness and micro-contrast of each tonemapped tile individually, which is much more accurate and adjustable. The stitching program will blend between the tiles to make the transitions unnoticeable.

I only use method 2., for those reasons.

Cheers,
Bart

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 07:08:22 am »

Once again, agreed.  I generally use the 2nd approach as well.  A downside of that approach is that you can end up with tonal differences in the panels after tonemapping that can he difficult to even out in the stitching process.  I use AutoPano which generally does a pretty good job.  But I have had the odd instance where there were some odd things happening at the seams.  It can also stitch the panels before the HDR merge and output stitched brackets.

With today's computers, 4 or 8 cores and 8 to 32GB of RAM pretty common, the first option is becoming more doable.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 09:23:40 am »

Once again, agreed.  I generally use the 2nd approach as well.  A downside of that approach is that you can end up with tonal differences in the panels after tonemapping that can he difficult to even out in the stitching process.

Hi Bob,

But the opposite can also be the case.

In the following image (not an HDR), which is too small to really appreciate the frozen misty surroundings, the wide angle of view ranged from (at the left) frontal lighting by the rising sun behind me, to (at the right) a backlit surrounding while looking right into the sun. The color balance of the original tiles showed a much greater shift in color from blue to yellow/orange.

However, I toned down the amount of color temperature shift by gradually warming up the look of the tiles at the left, but not to the extent that the natural shift in colors would be lost (it was freezing). At this small size, the shift is still significant, but less so at a large output size. I also balanced the exposure levels from front lit to back lit to have a better rendering across the FOV.

I use AutoPano which generally does a pretty good job.  But I have had the odd instance where there were some odd things happening at the seams.

I tend to use a liberal amount of tile overlap, up to 50%, when I expect to need the blending engine of the stitcher to make smoother transitions. Some blending engines, like SmartBlend in this case, allow to tweak their behavior for smooth gradients.

Cheers,
Bart

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 01:42:50 pm »

The effect is less prone in single shot stitches.  The vagaries of HDR tonemapping add complexity.  I'm not saying it's always a problem, just that it can be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up