Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coastal Scandinavia  (Read 1475 times)

hjulenissen

Coastal Scandinavia
« on: September 05, 2013, 07:21:31 am »

Comments and critique appreciated

hjulenissen

Re: Coastal Scandinavia
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:24:33 am »

I really appreciate comments on IMG_0966 because the scene in person was quite breathtaking, but for some reason I was not able to capture that.

-h

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:59:18 am »

With his permission, I did an edit on one of the images in this series. Seemed to have a lot more in the colors than he first portrayed.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:11:47 am »

There seems to be a lot still to be had from other images here too

hjulenissen

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:26:47 am »

With his permission, I did an edit on one of the images in this series. Seemed to have a lot more in the colors than he first portrayed.
Thank you for your suggestions. I think that going for a "rust tone" in what appears to be "rusty" is the right thing to do now that you showed it.

I am not so sure about the sky. It seems a bit over-dramatic (not so sure that I am pleased with my own starting-point, either). Perhaps I am too weary of the dreaded "HDR-look".

What to aim for (and how to accomplish it) when editing (and how appearance seems to depend on print vs display and over time) seems to be a complex endeavour.

-h

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:02:17 am »

No HDR processes for me. I use extended dynamic range editing in channels and other masks if I want that effect. The sky just didn't have much to work with. It is perhaps a bit gnarly.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:52:48 am »

Looks grossly over-processed to me. It really looks as if you got seriously carried away with the tone mapping and color saturation.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 01:19:50 pm »

... Seemed to have a lot more in the colors than he first portrayed.

First rule of post-processing: never let someone from sunny Florida to edit images from gloomy Scandinavia  ;D

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 05:35:12 pm »

First rule of post-processing: never let someone from sunny Florida to edit images from gloomy Scandinavia  ;D
I too prefer "plausibly realistic" to "painterly." The original processing is just fine. I might up the clarity a tiny bit, but only if it improved things.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 07:52:02 pm »

Oh poo, I barely touched the image. No tone mapping, just one lights mask (curves) and one darks mask (levels). I went online for other Scandinavian coastal shots and looked at other photos of the area for proper coloration and all. Let's ask hjulenissen as to how close I got?  It may be a touch too popped, but I am still just learning this luminescence masking process and tend to get a touch heavy on some of the sliders, though am very careful in that I rarely get too close to the saturation sliders...mostly.  ;D

As to sunny Florida. This year we are over 40 inches above or normal rainfall for the entire year. We call it liquid sunshine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up