Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: absolutely native monitorcolors in OSX?  (Read 1582 times)

MiSwan

absolutely native monitorcolors in OSX?
« on: September 05, 2013, 06:07:31 am »

I'm trying to find a way to disable the monitorprofile in OSX 10.8. I would like to have the option to get the monitor completely native with nothing in between the graphicboard and the monitor.

Using a profile without a vcgt tag is just a part of this. Switching between different non vcgt tagged profiles will still have impact on colors…… it's hard to know what to strip out from a profile if using a texeditor. It's kind of crypted you know….secret souce ;)

On the PC with Windows this is easy to zero out, one uses the Calibration-tool from x-rite and disconnect the profile. Simple as that. The OSX needs a profile choosen in the systemprefs. Again, even if we choose a non vcgt tagged profle the colors still are affected depending on profile.

Why do I ask, well… when making a Profiling Only, Basiccolor grabs the loaded vcgt tag if present and goes from that when profiling only. The vcgt tag is copied over and loads from the new profile  (profiled only version). No vcgt tag = straight vcgt curves. Good. But what about the rest -- the colors from the loaded profile in OSX, which the profiling only is made upon….. try load the Adobe RGB (no vcgt tag, of course) and watch the colors fade on a s-RGB gamut monitor. Where do we get the native unaffected colors?

I've tried Bruce Lindblooms vcgt testing profiles, but they are based on Colormatch RGB coordinates…. and that was quite awhile since Radius monitors sat on my desks. The Colormatch era was nice, but that's history.

Bottomline: I want the signal to go unaffected and profile the native monitor as is, not with a profile lurking around. Is this possible with OSX or is it what Windows is used for ;)

I can''t be the only one, no?

Thanks for your time and assistance,

Mi

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: absolutely native monitorcolors in OSX?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:53:15 am »

I'm trying to find a way to disable the monitorprofile in OSX 10.8.
I Doubt that is possible.

I would like to have the option to get the monitor completely native with nothing in between the graphicboard and the monitor.
Profile a native behavior. Getting that might be the tricky part.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

MiSwan

Re: absolutely native monitorcolors in OSX?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 03:43:18 pm »

Ok, Andrew thanks for the repons.

It must be a way, a calibrationsoftware must kill the connection when making a softcalibration, right? Otherwise the resulting gamut would be totaly dependent on what profile was activated in the systemprefs….when calibrating/profiling.

How could we modify a profile to load native signal, except the stripping of the vcgt tag from bent curves, so that it still loads and is accepted as a profile? Could this be done using any profileeditor or colormanagment tool avaible? Let me know if you find any.

Again, in Windows the x-rite caliibrationtool does the disconnection very easily. One can also go to the controllpanel> colormanagment dialog and kill the profile under the current user -- or in the advanced mode kill any global set profile there. This dialog and the function almost put me in the madhouse last year, but the profile setting and the new loader function is a little gem when knowing how to deal with it and in what order. Actually, what Apple should had done is a putting a checkbox á la Win7/8 near the profile list in OSX. Profile on/off. How hard can it be?

More and more of my clients with a moderat need of colomanaged flows reach for the new budget IPS monitors that have incredible good factoryadjustments -- despite that extremely low pricetag. Look at LG for example. And done with Minolta labtools…… individually on each monitor. Take a look at a greyramp on those….and be impressed. Ok, less bit depth, no hardwarecalibration, take the blackpoint as is and so on. If one can live with native whitepoint at 6500 and the rest as native, go for a Profiling ONLY. Not the double route where the profiling has to correct the measureerrors of a softwarecalibration which will be worse than what the labminolta delivered. I'm doing the highend monitors everyday, but I'm not ignoring the new IPS cheapos. They make my life so much easier than trying to zero any other budgetmonitor just a few years back. The CM aware applications get the custom profile and things are in a controlled flow within the given limitations involved. A lot of clients can live well with a well "profiled only" s-RGB gamut monitor. Especially a clean IPS.

Profiling a mac is tricky it seems. Windows no problem. It used to be the other way around. Who's lagging behind who now? ;) It's hard to cope with for an old mac-lover.

Mi
Pages: [1]   Go Up