Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Power to the People!!, Adobe Eat this!  (Read 15880 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: Power to the People!!, Adobe Eat this!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:24:50 pm »

Ladies and Gentlemen, the boycot is working! : http://photorumors.com/2013/09/04/adobe-announces-photoshop-photography-program-photoshop-lightroom-and-20gb-of-storage-for-9-99-per-month-starting-september-17th/

greets
ju
I still find the new arrangement to quite annoying.  Unless something amazing comes out in PS, I will not upgrade from CS6.  (As a matter of fact, I still use CS3 and find it perfect for my needs.)
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

TMARK

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:36:02 pm »

+1. 

I still find the new arrangement to quite annoying.  Unless something amazing comes out in PS, I will not upgrade from CS6.  (As a matter of fact, I still use CS3 and find it perfect for my needs.)

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:45:42 pm »

I don't see how any "boycott" is working.  Adobe isn't going back to the old software license model.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but all I see is a trimmed down package "designed for photographers" ----to get more people to drink the kool-aid.

$9.99 is indeed much more palatable, but the whole idea still stinks to me.  I regularly upgraded under the old business model, but I liked making that decision whether it was worthwhile.  No more choice anymore. Adobe wants its "version upgrade" money upfront regardless of whether those future upgrades are worthwhile to you as an individual.

Three months to decide if I drink the kool-aid...    :-\   ???

ken

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 01:03:23 pm »

I know a couple of people who are suddenly interested in Aperture, and one of them is a Windows user, so he's planning a wholesale computing change around. Well done Adobe

Bernd B.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 01:28:52 pm »

My Photoshop CS6 has more bugs than CS5, so I mostly work in CS5.

GIMP 2.10 is in the pipeline, with 16bit support. This might be the end of Photoshop. They´ll not get me in the creative cloud.

Bernd
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:31:53 pm by Bernd B. »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 01:32:28 pm »

I don't see how any "boycott" is working.  Adobe isn't going back to the old software license model. 

That's my take on it too. But if people who signed a boycott feel better, great.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

pixjohn

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 03:22:13 pm »

I will also stick with CS5. This business model is not comfortable for me.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 10:18:31 pm »

Comon guys, boycotting is childish!

This being said, I am not sure that 9.99 US$ changes anything.

It for sure is a more reasonnable price point, one that is probably closer to what I used to be spending... but the lack of exit strategy remains.

So, as far as I am concerned, the answer continues to be focused on looking for alternatives to Photoshop till my CS6 instance becomes unusable.

"looking for alternatives" meaning buying licenses from those alternative sofwares to fund the development of these software, several in parallel up to the amount I would be paying to Adobe on CC.

Cheers,
Bernard

torger

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 02:12:20 am »

Looking at the cost of medium format gear it's hard to complain about $9.99/month :)

Subscription services is the future, for music, TV, software etc, anything that can be delivered through your broadband connection. We are in the start of the transition to these business models. You can boycott all you want, it's coming anyway.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:14:35 am by torger »

Manoli

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 03:09:23 am »

"looking for alternatives" meaning buying licenses from those alternative sofwares to fund the development of these software, several in parallel up to the amount I would be paying to Adobe on CC.

The $9.99 is clever pricing. It includes a perpetual licence for Lr and for 1 or 2 years you will find it hard to beat the $120 /$240 outlay that CC will cost. A new copy of Lightroom alone costs $149.99 (reduced today to $129.99). Upgrades and Student full licences are $79.00.

So, for anyone who is in the market for a new copy of Lightroom, and probably for those of us who are already on the bandwagon, 1 or 2 years of CC subscription makes sense. It also gives us the time to see what, if any, must-have improvements and innovations Adobe comes up with - all for a relatively modest outlay.

BUT, it does nothing for those less fortunate. CC is still price-gouging, whichever way you look at it. Personally, I'm still looking for alternatives.

Anyone care to contribute ?
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=81795.0

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 03:55:05 am »

There is just one thing that really sets off my alarm bells. The limited time offer combined with the promise this is the price and will continue to be so. If that is the case than why make it a limited time offer??? It feels like those people ringing my doorbell with that great offer of an energy company that I have to sign now or the offer is out of the door. Only to find I have been totally screwed at a later stage.

I guess I really do not trust Adobe any longer...

K.C.

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 04:06:31 am »

I guess I really do not trust Adobe any longer...

You trust a major corporation that releases some of buggiest crap in the market ?

15 years ago I worked for a well know company that developed PS plugins. We had frequent meetings with Adobe. They were planning back then to transition to a subscription only model.

This has been a long time coming and it's not going to change.

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 10:21:55 am »

For this price I think it's strange if you still think that adobe is dong something bad.
It's the best imaging software at the moment, everyone wants it but a lot of people were never able to afford it, now you have Lightroom and photoshop for the price of 2 Starbucks coffees a month. Come on.

TMARK

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 10:36:17 am »

For this price I think it's strange if you still think that adobe is dong something bad.
It's the best imaging software at the moment, everyone wants it but a lot of people were never able to afford it, now you have Lightroom and photoshop for the price of 2 Starbucks coffees a month. Come on.

I agree with this.  If my copies of CS3 and 5 didn't do what I needed them to do, I'd do the CC subscription for $10 a month.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:12:57 am by TMARK »

sgilbert

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 10:36:38 am »

Frank,

I don't think it's the amount of money;  it's the model.  Adobe's plan is like the cable company wanting to rent you a modem for six or seven dollars a month.  

SG

Rob Whitehead

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 11:35:34 am »

For the price of a MF lens you can subscribe for the rest of your life.
Carpe lucem

bcooter

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 11:57:51 am »

$9.99.

A bad deal?   Come on.  has anybody added up how much it costs to do anything for $9.99.   Movie tickets are $13 for 90 minutes.

I'll tell you a bad deal.  Buying thunderbolt to firewire cords for a $9.99 an inch.

Seriously, if you want the cost of intellectual property to go down, don't condone anyone that swipes it, regardless of their reason.

IMO

BC

Streetshooter

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 12:25:36 pm »

Do you really think it will stay this low for the rest of your life ?  Be serious.......It might be low now but I bet it will rise soon, and when their investors decide they want more profit. For me it's the fact I'm locked in and they can put the price up when they please. I'll continue to use CS4, it does all I need.

Pete

JV

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 02:08:40 pm »

Very bad move from Adobe in my opinion.

A lot of professional shooters will see this a good deal but it will alienate most enthusiasts and they will start looking for alternatives.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up