Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe has blinked!  (Read 20151 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Adobe has blinked!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 04:16:47 pm »

Here are the UK prices:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for some more information, but wouldn't it be easier if Adobe updated the websites?
Current price for Dutch customers EUR 24.59 / month (incl.VAT) on an annual subscription basis.

That will presumably also change, because it would not only be an insult, but also illegal to have such price differentiation between European countries.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:38:09 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 04:34:05 pm »

One thing that was made clear to me is that the subscription model is here to stay.  Other parameters can change (for example, the pricing change announced today), but the subscription part will not.  I realize that some users will remain opposed to the subscription model, and it's totally their right to feel that way and choose not to sign up for that reason.  Nonetheless, I share this info because I believe that asking for a return to the perpetual model is no longer productive.
1.  I accept that they don't want to return to the perpetual model and their plan as of today is to not do so, but this will be the markets choice.  Not theirs.   If the market speaks loud enough they will be forced to change their plans.  And frankly, companies are forced into such decisions almost daily.  It's a reality of business.

2.  Sharing what you really need and want in a product is never unproductive.  Well, as long as a company is willing to listen.  And they might not be now. But the future isn't here yet.

I appreciate your insight into Adobe and your representation..   But do let them know that sometimes when you shoot yourself in the foot.. the real danger is from infection.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

MikeChambers

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 05:02:55 pm »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for some more information, but wouldn't it be easier if Adobe updated the websites?
Current price for Dutch customers EUR 24.59 / month (incl.VAT) on an annual subscription basis.

That will presumably also change, because it would not only be an insult, but also illegal to have such price differentiation between European countries.

Cheers,
Bart

Those are the prices for the PS / Lightroom offer. We don't have pages online for it just yet. It looks like the page you posted is the regular offer for single CC subscription, which is our regular price.

We are updating the FAQ later today, and it will hopefully contain all of the international prices.

Does that make sense?

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

MrSmith

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 05:25:01 pm »

So that's the price for people who have photoshop CS3 or later. (I think it's good value and will be signing up)
What's the options for people who don't have an existing product?
There must be quite a few people out there with 'moody' copies  ;)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 05:33:10 pm »

Those are the prices for the PS / Lightroom offer. We don't have pages online for it just yet. It looks like the page you posted is the regular offer for single CC subscription, which is our regular price.

As far as I can see, it's the Photoshop CC only page, not the CC suite.

We are updating the FAQ later today, and it will hopefully contain all of the international prices

Does that make sense?

Time will tell, I suppose.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

MikeChambers

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 05:51:30 pm »

So that's the price for people who have photoshop CS3 or later. (I think it's good value and will be signing up)
What's the options for people who don't have an existing product?

Unfortunately, the offer is currently only for previous customers.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 05:55:44 pm »

Here are the UK prices:
Tax-inclusive: 8.78 GBP
So only 30% more than the USA then ?

Curious how an Adobe employee joins and starts commenting on the day all this announced.

Steve House

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 05:57:49 pm »

Third problem is the real biggie - this has to be sorted if Adobe wants everyone to buy into the CC model. The most obvious/sensible solution is that after ** many years you get to keep using your current version with no more upgrades and if you start to rent again then the clock starts from zero once more.
Unfortunately being able to continue to use a "frozen features" product after terminating one's subscription would effectively mean it has a perpetual license that kicks in at the retirement of the subscription.  As much as such a policy makes good sense for consumers, that is exactly what Adobe has stated they're committed to eliminating.  The problem Adobe has with perpetual licenses is that they are perpetual - once you've bought one, the cash stops flowing from you to Adobe unless you decide to buy an upgrade some day. That's what they're trying to get away from, turning your usage of, say, Photoshop from a one-time purchase into an on-going guaranteed revenue stream that continues for a long as you use the product.  Upgrades and updates are not the product being sold in the subscription, it is the ongoing usage of the software that is the product sold, even if it's never to be updated from this day forward.  When you stop paying, you stop using, just like the telephone or the electricity.  I don't like it but that seems to be the new reality. (Actually it's an old reality - back in the mainframe days before PCs came on the market you leased all the software for your IBM 370.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:11:14 pm by Steve House »

Rhossydd

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 05:58:51 pm »

Why should they get any sort of deal ?

MikeChambers

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 05:59:19 pm »

So only 30% more than the USA then ?

Curious how an Adobe employee joins and starts commenting on the day all this announced.

I am not sure what you are implying, but its pretty straight forward. I came to the site and saw questions around CC. Since I had some of the answers, I created an account and answered them.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Rhossydd

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 06:01:53 pm »

Unfortunately being able to continue to use the "frozen features" product after terminating one's subscription would effectively mean it has a perpetual license that kicks in at the retirement of the subscription.  As much as that policy makes good sense, that is exactly what Adobe has stated they're committed to moving away from.
Except they've already committed that LR will continue to be available on a perpetual licence model.

How will that work ? Say in three years time when we have LR 7, if you want to drop your PSCC+LR subscription taken out at LR5 what are you left with ?

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 06:03:34 pm »

I have Photoshop CS6 Extended that is part of the Design Creative Suite and Lightroom 5. I understand that I do NOT qualify for the new photographer's offer. Real good, Adobe.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 06:10:51 pm »

Except they've already committed that LR will continue to be available on a perpetual licence model.

not they, but Eric Chan... and not "commited" but more careful wording... and not forever... and not in writing... once LR matures... it is business, nothing personal... I 'd even be OK w/ subscription - for as long as I can get ACR only subscription for less $  ::)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 06:20:53 pm »

I like this $9.99 for both LR & Photoshop. My problem is that I just renewed my CC account for $49.99 the end of last month not knowing this offer was coming. All I really need is LR & Photoshop. Guess I will have to contact Adobe to see if I can switch. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:43:18 pm by StuartOnline »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 06:30:28 pm »

Hum...I guess you missed Mike's post where he said: Thanks. Ive been a long time lurker (Im an amateur photographer), and have learned a ton from the site. I figured I would finally get around to creating an account, and try to help out. in this thread.

Personally, I think you should welcome Mike and not question his motives...

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 06:32:22 pm »

I too am Interested in the new offer. But I just took out the single app plan last week (as that "special offer" was about to expire).

So do I cancel my current plan (as it is within 30 days) and then take the new Upgrade from CS5 to CC and LR5 plan, or will I be able to move across to the new plan?

Anyone know how this works?

Thanks

Phil

wtlloyd

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 06:38:17 pm »

Just want to give a thumbs up vote here.

I had no intention of moving past CS6 now or in the foreseeable future. I expect that by the time CS6 fails in convenience, or lacks state of the art processing, there will be viable alternatives to choose from.

But this pricing structure is pretty equivalent to what I have been paying all along for each version upgrade.

This works for me.

MrSmith

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 06:44:12 pm »

Why should they get any sort of deal ?

I wasnt suggesting they should. I was just wondering what the entry price was if you didn't have a legit copy.
(For the record I don't own/use any cracked software)

MikeChambers

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 07:15:05 pm »

I too am Interested in the new offer. But I just took out the single app plan last week (as that "special offer" was about to expire).

So do I cancel my current plan (as it is within 30 days) and then take the new Upgrade from CS5 to CC and LR5 plan, or will I be able to move across to the new plan?

Anyone know how this works?

Thanks

Phil

Just wait until the offer is live, and then contact support. They will be able to help you out.

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 07:34:40 pm »

One factor that I think should be considered is asking yourself how much are you currently paying on an annualized basis to upgrade to newer versions of CS and LR when they are released.  

In my personal case, I checked my Adobe order history and since Sept 2010 my total pre-tax outlay on upgrades to CS5 then CS6, and to LR 4 then LR5 has been $485, or ~ $160/year.  So assuming that I was to maintain such an upgrade policy going forward (if it was still viable which is not the case for PS), and assuming the monthly price remains at $10, by going the rental route I could conceivably save $40/year.  In other words a minor cost savings over the current perceptual model, and therefore a positive factor in my ultimate decision making process (It was not even close to break-even proposition with the offer from a few months back for the $20 or $30/month options previously for PS CC (and if I recall correctly, included a host of other CS programs I do not use)).

The inability however to opt out and keep running the software at whatever version you were up to at the time would remain as a negative factor to consider in the decision to opt in to the rental program.  Is it enough to sway me one way or the other?  It's getting close now and I could see myself going either way on it ...  

But in my case, I just upgraded to LR5 last week so at this time I will continue to sit tight with what I have and see where things lie in a year or so.
[size=12p
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up