Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe has blinked!  (Read 20182 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Adobe has blinked!
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:23:40 pm »

Photoshop + Lightroom + Behance web features for $9.99 a month.

So that should make quite a few people happy.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jrp

Re: Adobe has blinked!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:37:15 pm »

I wonder what the rate will be outside the US.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:39:00 pm »

Probably £9.99 here in the UK :(

Interesting to note how few of the faithful had signed up for CC at Photoshop World.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:51:17 pm »

Photoshop + Lightroom + Behance web features for $9.99 a month.

So that should make quite a few people happy.

Hi,

The pressure is rising for Adobe to meet their number of subscribers goal by year end.
Waiting pays off. I'll wait a bit more, no incentive to rush into a perpetual money drain
with nothing to show for it when subscription stops.

Maybe next year, after the Dec 31st reality check, when it's possible to obtain a frozen
state version for an acceptable price, after stopping the subscription, I may reconsider.
Not before that moment, and without enough additional features/improvements that I
really need.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jrp

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:30:34 pm »

That would be nearly 60% over the US price   >:(

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:37:55 pm »

Hi Bart,

Several weeks ago I spoke with Adobe executives and relayed my concerns about the new CC subscription model (in the context of photography) as well as the concerns that many photographers expressed here.  We discussed in what ways we could change/improve the model to help photographers.  This included the subscription model itself, pricing, an exit strategy (for folks choosing to end their subscription), and a few other parts.  

One thing that was made clear to me is that the subscription model is here to stay.  Other parameters can change (for example, the pricing change announced today), but the subscription part will not.  I realize that some users will remain opposed to the subscription model, and it's totally their right to feel that way and choose not to sign up for that reason.  Nonetheless, I share this info because I believe that asking for a return to the perpetual model is no longer productive.
Eric Chan

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:44:29 pm »

Thanks for the info Eric.

One thing that was made clear to me is that the subscription model is here to stay.
I fully appreciate that.
I hope you made the execs aware that similarly some customers might not be here to stay as a result.

an exit strategy (for folks choosing to end their subscription)
Thanks again for bringing this issue to their attention. Getting this issue resolved might make all a major difference to a lot of potential users choosing to subscribe .

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 03:00:06 pm »

I wonder, is the 9,99$ a permanent price or is it going up to 20$ or even more after Jan 1st???

JhnMhn

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 03:03:36 pm »

Appreciate Eric's info & the spirit in which it was given. But Adobe has done absolutely nothing to address the major problems with their subscription model, & I won't bore folks with reiterating these concerns. I keep an antenna up in the vain hope they will reconsider; but they appear to be cementing in the post -Photoshop era for me and like-minded folks.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 03:04:24 pm »

One thing that was made clear to me is that the subscription model is here to stay.
subscription _ONLY_ , nobody was irritated by subscription _OPTION_

MikeChambers

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 03:05:07 pm »

I wonder, is the 9,99$ a permanent price or is it going up to 20$ or even more after Jan 1st???

That is the base price and not a promotional price. I.e. unlike the other offers, after a year your base price is the same, and doesn't go up to the full price like the other offers.

Hope that helps...

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Vladimirovich

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 03:06:05 pm »

for a return to the perpetual model is no longer productive.
not "return to", but "keeping an option" along with... damn, just sell ACR as a packaged product and that will be it

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 03:07:53 pm »

subscription _ONLY_ , nobody was irritated by subscription _OPTION_

Ok.  To be clear, I was told that subscription only for Ps is here to stay.  Going forward, perpetual license for Ps is not on the table.
Eric Chan

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 03:11:09 pm »

Hi Bart,

Several weeks ago I spoke with Adobe executives and relayed my concerns about the new CC subscription model (in the context of photography) as well as the concerns that many photographers expressed here.  We discussed in what ways we could change/improve the model to help photographers.  This included the subscription model itself, pricing, an exit strategy (for folks choosing to end their subscription), and a few other parts.  

One thing that was made clear to me is that the subscription model is here to stay.  Other parameters can change (for example, the pricing change announced today), but the subscription part will not.  I realize that some users will remain opposed to the subscription model, and it's totally their right to feel that way and choose not to sign up for that reason.  Nonetheless, I share this info because I believe that asking for a return to the perpetual model is no longer productive.

Hi Eric,

I appreciate your personal role in furthering the quality of the various product components, and the fact that you took the trouble to react.

I understand that the subscription model is here to stay, it has to do with passing the maturity stage of the product lifecycle. Things like the exit strategy though, still seriously suck, but that's not your decision. Very well paid, presumably wise persons took those decisions, and that's their job, to take decisions that are good for the company and the shareholders. Whether they took the right decisions, especially for the stakeholders (not just shareholders but also people who's livelihood, in part, depends on it), remains to be seen. The crystal balls are a bit fuzzy about that.

We have a saying in Dutch, one of many that go back to the seafaring times of centuries ago, but still used today:
"The shore will turn the vessel"  (the vessel's course).

Let's hope the moment of impact doesn't cause permanent damage ...

Wish you well, Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:14:27 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 03:38:46 pm »

In the word processing there was Wordstar, then WordPerfect, then Word; all major must-have word processing production tools over several decades.
We photographers have Photoshop in its many forms and versions. Rest assured, there will be another image processing successor that will appeal to many of us voicing the current concerns.

jrp

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 03:39:11 pm »

That would be nearly 60% over the US price   >:(

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

No sign of the new offer on the UK site.  £17.83 / month, or nearly 3 times the US price.

MikeChambers

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 03:59:10 pm »

Interesting to note how few of the faithful had signed up for CC at Photoshop World.

Here are the UK prices:

Tax-inclusive: 8.78 GBP
Tax-exclusive: 7.14 GBP

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 04:02:59 pm »

Personally I'd been wondering for many years as to when the subscription model would appear. Software companies only made the profits they did because it was a new marketplace and it was inevitable that once products matured and upgrades stopped being the must have purchases they once were, companies like Adobe, Microsoft would have to either come up with new products or get people to subscribe or rely on brand new customers to make up, but as current customers will also be retiring/dying etc, they'd find revenues would diminish considerably.
This may mean even big software companies could go under which would be an even worse situation than the subscription model.
The problem with subscription is threefold - firstly the price as ultimately it costs more.
Secondly very, very few people will genuinely use more than two or three of the programmes, so the bargain you get all the software for £** isn't quite the bargain it at first appears.
Finally - the exit strategy, there needs to be one as change of circumstances such as say retirement means you loose access to your work with the software you  paid an awful lot of money for.
First issue has been partially addressed with a $10 price for two items, let's hope price is equitable in say the UK or Australia where things cost a lot more for no extra anything. [And apparently it is :) ]
Second problem would be sorted by saying 2 main progs cost **, 3 cost **  and whole suite costs **
Third problem is the real biggie - this has to be sorted if Adobe wants everyone to buy into the CC model. The most obvious/sensible solution is that after ** many years you get to keep using your current version with no more upgrades and if you start to rent again then the clock starts from zero once more.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jrp

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 04:10:38 pm »

Here are the UK prices:

Tax-inclusive: 8.78 GBP
Tax-exclusive: 7.14 GBP

Thanks for this info. 

Isaac

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 04:15:38 pm »

Hope that helps...

Thanks, clarity about what's being offered does help.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up