Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100, HP Utility and APS on Windows 7 or 8?  (Read 3738 times)

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Z3100, HP Utility and APS on Windows 7 or 8?
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:10:52 pm »

With the coming demise of Windows XP in April, I want to take advantage of a lull in my business and go ahead and update to Windows 8 (or 7 if that's a better idea).

When I run Microsoft's Compatibility tests for Win 7 and Win 8, the Z3100 itself looks fine, but I do not get results for the HP Utility or the APS software.

Anybody running a Z printer with the HP utility and APS successfully on Win 7 or Win 8? I don't get much on a Google search.

Thanks
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Z3100, HP Utility and APS on Windows 7 or 8?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 03:16:03 pm »

On Vista 64 all the software you mentioned worked. I think network disconnections happen faster with Vista than with XP. I checked APS on Windows 7 and it worked also. APS is more stable than Color Center in general. That's my 2 cts. 

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:27:41 pm »

Thanks Ernst. I found the following on LL from 2009, so it looks like Win 7 is OK. Haven't found any references to Win 8 yet.

Concerning APS not activating on Windows 7 -

This is quite an easy fix as APS uses a licence key that can be copied over from a previous activation in XP.

The key is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HP-APS (This is a hidden folder so you will need to 'show hidden files and folders' option)
 - Inside this folder is 'registration.key'
 - In Windows 7 dump that file into C:\ProgramData\HP-APS - (Again hidden folder - if the HP-APS folder doesn't exsist, create it.)
 - Enjoy APS!

The above assumes C:\ as system drive in both XP and Win7, but if they are different or you have dual booted that use correct drive letters as appropriate.

John
Jim Cole

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:55:02 am »

I've gone ahead and ordered the Win 7 Pro Upgrade from NewEgg, so we'll see how everything goes.
Jim Cole

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:08:42 am »

The Util has not worked for me since Vista 64, but then again it's pretty unimportant. 

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:24:02 am »

Jim:
I've been on Win7 since day one, works much smoother than XP. Regarding the HP Utility, I've been through many corruption problems with it. The latest download from HP seems to be working fine. There for a time, HP really had a messed up website for downloading, but things seem to be alright now.

From what I've heard, unless you have a touch sensitive screen and want to take advantage of that, there is no reason to go with Win8.

garyfcampbell

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 12:57:14 pm »

The HP utility works fine on Windows 7, I don't know about Windows 8. 

Make sure you down load the latest version from the web site.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 01:32:02 pm »

John and Gary,

Thanks. I'll make sure to grab the latest when it's time to reinstall. It's good to know it works on Win 7.

Kaelaria,

Not sure what's going on with your copy of the HP utility. I'll see how it goes on my end.

Jim Cole

artobest

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 08:41:08 am »

The Util has not worked for me since Vista 64, but then again it's pretty unimportant. 

How do you access the Color Center?

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 11:07:29 am »

Thought I would provide an update to the Win 7 upgrade. Although almost every single thing required 5-10 times as long as was expected and required extensive Googling to get working like the Virtual XP Mode and my ReadyNAS NV+, I must say that the Z3100 and HP Printer Utility installed first time around with absolutely no drama. After a re-boot of the printer, everything works perfectly. Communication seems faster under Win 7. Paper Presets updated the computer first try and Photoshop CS5 and the Z3100 worked together better than ever.

I always had a problem in XP with the Photoshop print dialog settings not being sticky and I could never access the Printer Settings within that dialog twice in a row without an error and having to select a different printer in the dropdown and then re-selecting the Z3100 to gain access. I used to print out of CS3 because it was easier. All those issues have disappeared with the use on Win 7. I guess my beloved XP was a bit long in the tooth. Heck, I think even Win 7 may have that same qualifier as I'm a bit late to the party.

I did have to order a new laser printer as my HP Laserjet 1100, being about 12 years old, has no drivers for Win 7. It's a shame, because it's still a great printer. I ordered a HP Laserjet Pro 1606dn from B&H for $164 shipped. I has great reviews and the price is hard to beat. I hope she's as worthy as the 1100. It'll be here tomorrow.

Anyway, all is well right now in Windows 7 land, except that I cannot turn of my NEC Multisync 2690WUXi while the computer is on. If I do and then turn it back on, the display will not come up. I have to reboot the computer. I have a habit of turning it off when I leave the room and I keep forgetting and have to suffer through a reboot. I have the latest nVidia driver for my GeForce 7600GT and the last driver for the 2690 that was available from NEC a few years back. I can't find any solutions on line so far, so this one will drive me crazy. NEC doesn't even offer drivers for their older monitors on their website so I can't even verify. That's really poor customer service.

That's all for now.
Jim Cole

Jim Sanderson

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:14:25 pm »

Have Z3200ps. Ran APS and Utility on both 7 and now 8. 8 was buggy when it first came out but is very stable for me now.  I'd go with Windows 8.  8.1 is coming out soon. I tried the preview addition but will wait for a while after the final comes out before trying that.

Jim

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 06:59:27 am »

Hi Jim,

I need the Virtual XP Mode that is missing in Win 8, so I'll stick with 7 for as long as I can. Glad to know everything works on Win 8.
Jim Cole
Pages: [1]   Go Up