Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Photoshop CC - The Alternatives  (Read 63617 times)

Manoli

Re: Adobe Photoshop CC - The Alternatives
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2013, 05:47:19 pm »

Finally, I've come across an excellent adjunct to Lightroom and the other RAW converters – Acorn.

As of the latest release 4.1 the program is now 16-bit with an impressively simple UI,  layers, masking, plus levels and curves. Levels and curves are not adjustment layers, but the many 'colour adjustment filters' are non-destructive and 'Acorn uses a 64-bit workspace for everything'.

Full details and download link (14 day trial) on the page below
http://flyingmeat.com/acorn/

Release notes
http://flyingmeat.com/acorn/releasenotes.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:14:28 pm by Manoli »

Isaac

« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2013, 07:47:32 pm »

You forgot to say only for Mac.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2013, 07:48:48 pm »

Acorn seems very interesting. My Mac Pro can only run 10.6.8 and is therefore not compatible. But I'll but a license anyway and install it on the MBA running 10.8.5.

I won't use it, but that is not the point at this stage.

Cheers,
Bernard

Manoli

« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2013, 09:30:23 pm »

I've had brief email exchanges with Gus Mueller;  sent him a few remarks together with a link to this thread - so hopefully any comments, observations, suggestions made here will also be picked up by him.

re Acorn – just a few quick initial observations :

• There's a tool named Select - quick, simple way to create good layer masks. Masks in Acorn can be feathered with a Gaussian blur in the non-destructive filters - you can go back and refine the blending as you wish, combine any number of filters including all the colour controls in a non-destructive manner.

• No easy way to feather the Eraser. You need to select a brush , change it's blend mode to Destination Out, and it'll act like an eraser – alternatively hold down both the option and command keys when using a regular brush and it will act like an eraser.

• It's possible to align layers but the way is slightly arcane. Hopefully there will be a simple Align Layers menu command to come. Currently applies to shapes only.

• There is no History. The only 'destructive' controls though, at this time, are Levels and Curves.

-
Interesting program in and of itself, but particularly when combined with Lr.

Correction:
Masking tool is called Select. Instant Alpha creates cut-out directly on the layer.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:53:32 am by Manoli »

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2013, 03:06:48 am »

Never again will I become dependant on a software that only runs on only one brand of computers. Especially one that has such little regard for backward binary compatibility.

For me, anything that is Mac-only is a non starter. And would be even if my current computer was a Mac.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:33:22 am by StephaneB »

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen

kirkt

« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2013, 11:17:48 am »

Photoline just released v18.

Release notes:

http://www.pl32.com/pages/rnote.php

the upgrade cost for current users is 29 Euro - the cost to new users is 59 Euro.

kirk
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:23:34 am by kirkt »

alain

« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2013, 02:03:52 pm »

Hi

Has anybody did a quality assessment of photoline, aka quality off the used algorithms?
I took quite a few tests and all seems very good, but I'm no imaging expert.

The low cost and the capabilities makes photoline a very nice application.

Alain

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2013, 08:08:06 pm »

Hi

Has anybody did a quality assessment of photoline, aka quality off the used algorithms?

Hi Alain,

While not an exhaustive assessment, the quality of the algorithms used, and their implementation, looks pretty solid.

The minimal memory footprint also reveals attention to detail. It also offers a lot of functionality for those who need to produce (vector based) web content.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

alain

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2013, 10:43:44 pm »

Hi Alain,

While not an exhaustive assessment, the quality of the algorithms used, and their implementation, looks pretty solid.

The minimal memory footprint also reveals attention to detail. It also offers a lot of functionality for those who need to produce (vector based) web content.

Cheers,
Bart
Thanks for the answer Bart.

Alain

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2014, 08:38:06 am »

Hi,

I have played with it. It is quite a bit different, nomenclature is pretty much different. My dad is using it for most of his pictures, Mom has tested Photoline instead of Photoshop but gave up because the tools didn't work for her.

I would say it is a robust program, but less refined than Photoshop and very different. I would say that professional photographers need Photoshop because that is the standard used in business.

Personally, I mostly use Lightroom. Photoshop is for me an overkill. I mostly use Photoshop to:

- Do quick and dirty panoramas (because of integration with Lightroom)
- Content aware fills
- Selective tonal adjustments, as described here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/46-fixing-sky-with-luminosity-mask
- Produce Christmas cards once a year

That's about it, very much possible I switch to Photoline 32.

Best regards
Erik

Hi

I took quite a few tests and all seems very good, but I'm no imaging expert.

Alain
Erik Kaffehr

alain

« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2014, 10:56:30 am »

Hi,

I have played with it. It is quite a bit different, nomenclature is pretty much different. My dad is using it for most of his pictures, Mom has tested Photoline instead of Photoshop but gave up because the tools didn't work for her.

I would say it is a robust program, but less refined than Photoshop and very different. I would say that professional photographers need Photoshop because that is the standard used in business.

Personally, I mostly use Lightroom. Photoshop is for me an overkill. I mostly use Photoshop to:

- Do quick and dirty panoramas (because of integration with Lightroom)
- Content aware fills
- Selective tonal adjustments, as described here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/46-fixing-sky-with-luminosity-mask
- Produce Christmas cards once a year

That's about it, very much possible I switch to Photoline 32.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Erik for the info.  It is indeed a bit different, but there's always a learning curve.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2014, 05:03:34 am »

Hi,

I would add that Photoline 32 works well with many Photoshop plugins, is fully colour managed and so on.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Erik for the info.  It is indeed a bit different, but there's always a learning curve.

Erik Kaffehr

alain

« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2014, 06:00:13 am »

Hi,

I would add that Photoline 32 works well with many Photoshop plugins, is fully colour managed and so on.

Best regards
Erik

I knew that.  The first things I looked at where : 16-bit color managed workflow, those are absolutely needed and there in photoline.  Photoshop plugin support is nice, but for me not that important.
I was impressed while doing some tests, but asked some confirmation about the technical quality of the adjustments, just to be sure.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up