Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FULL FRAME "Director's Viewfinder" - advice for parts?  (Read 6860 times)

medavoym

FULL FRAME "Director's Viewfinder" - advice for parts?
« on: September 03, 2013, 07:00:55 pm »

Hi!

I would very much like to build myself a full frame "director's viewfinder" - the kind that is able to take the actual lenses on it. Basically, a very simple housing which has the lens mount in front, the full frame glass at the back, and some kind of eyepiece or prism which would present the image normally (right side up). Like the image attached.

Admittedly, I want to create a director's viewfinder for cinema use, with a PL mount in front. Digital camera sensors are getting larger and larger (they will eventually become 36x24mm in a few years) - but the principle remains just the same.

I can't use DSLR's because some cinema lenses have large back elements which interfere with the mirror (especially on the wide side). I can't use regular cinema director's viewfinders because all of them can only take small viewing screens, far from the full frame size.

So, basically, I would just want a simple housing with a prism/eye piece for proper viewing.

For photography, is there a full frame lens viewer made by any company? Does such a unit exist in some form or another? I could definitely take something and try to adapt it to my specific needs... Let me know if there is any chance to find a lens finder for the full frame 36x24 format.

Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

Mike

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: FULL FRAME "Director's Viewfinder" - advice for parts?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 05:09:27 am »

The picture that you posted, it would be equally feasible for someone to lift up a Red Epic or a C300 (both are designed as still cameras) without having to lug that thing around.

For what it's worth, here are some of my thoughts on the issue: http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-ideal-viewfinder-for-directors/

By the way, not all PL lenses cover the full frame sensor.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

medavoym

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 12:13:53 pm »

Hi Sareesh,

I have Canon K35 lenses which fortunately cover FF35 (36x24mm)

I am pretty sure a RED Epic would be more inconvenient to move around just for framing purposes, than a small director's viewfinder. Plus, the EPIC usually sits on the tripod, all decked out and ready to shoot (or in the process of being decked out), while you search for framing with a director's viewfinder.

I like your article. I guess the best option would be full frame mirrorless cameras, when they come out (and if they come out).

In the meantime, I would still love some other solution. I've been thinking about maybe one of the 35mm adapters out there...

So, is there no full frame lens finder out there?

Mike

twelch

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 07:51:11 pm »

I know that this is totally different than the actual lens but have you thought about an app?  It might be a cheap option for now?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/artemis-directors-viewfinder/id324917457?mt=8

TW
Pages: [1]   Go Up