Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park  (Read 3448 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:50:55 pm »

I see that off-road vehicles are allowed in the park, but only in specified areas. With that said, it looks like they have the freedom to roam most of the park. If that's the case, it might not leave much "untouched" beauty to photograph.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Jan Bell, Bell Images
www.bellimages.com

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace. Making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity." - Charles Mingus
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

degrub

Re: Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:07:42 am »

That has been reported and was what i also found on my last trip. If you are looking for wide expanses of pristine sand it may be hard. Best bet is to talk with the ranger. It is worth a visit if for no other reason that it is different and not too far out of the way.

Frank

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:32:59 am »

It's one of the few areas where they encourage OHVs.  If you're in search of pristine wilderness or peace and quiet, look elsewhere.

francois

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 05:12:07 am »

…If you're in search of pristine wilderness or peace and quiet, look elsewhere.

Ditto! The situation has not improved… If you wander into the dunes, you might end up under the tires of a buggy.

The last time I was there, it was a very windy day and I was naive, thinking that the wind would clean up the mess… I didn't even bother to wait until sunset!
Francois

pluton

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 01:07:51 am »

Last time I was there, I witnessed the spectacle of motorized-recreation-obsessed folks using four-wheel ATVs to travel the 100 yards from their campsite to the vending machines. 

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 09:58:17 am »

NOT my kind of place. And I thank you all for the "heads up" on this. Sounds like Oceano Dunes in Pismo Beach, CA. Hopefully someday it will be proteted from off road vehicles. Brett Weston did some BEAUTIFUL shots there (before it became a off road playground / carnival area.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

NashvilleMike

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:56:57 am »

Yea, Coral Pink Sand Dunes is on my "skip" list; wasn't impressed when I was there a few years ago either.

-m

framah

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 03:18:06 pm »

That's sad. I was there a long time ago... mid 80's and... no one else was there!! Just me and the wind.

I decided to just photograph the little purple flowers blooming against the bright orange sand. I had just gotten back from the trip out to Toroweep and didn't have much time to wander. Might as well cross it off my "return to" list.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up