Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony DSC-F828  (Read 14529 times)

ARD

• http://
Sony DSC-F828
« on: June 05, 2005, 03:44:37 pm »

I had a Sony F717 and upgraded to a Canon EOS 20. The Canon is by far a superior camera, but the Sony did come with an excellent lens.

I think that Sony might have realised that DSLR are what people will go for in this price range. If Sony come out with a true DSLR with the same make of lens then it could rival others already on the market.

My advice to you would to be to look at a Canon EOS 350. They are selling with special offers over here in the UK and the range of lenses available is considerable

Tenner

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 08:03:40 am »

PaulM : I've glanced ( supposed to be working ! ) at the Olympus E 300 on  www.dpreview.com and the last sentence on the Conclusion page does apply, plus in the Cons the comment about s/n being 'mottle' rather than 'film grain - like'. Somewhere, I've read that 'grain' is easier to deal with.

Hope I don't come across as churlish - I really do appreciate all your comments. Prior to this ( ie before forums were available on-line ) camera choice was a lonesome affair ! Some of the dogs I've had over the last 30 years or so leave me shuddering. However, personal reviews on some forums ( eg dpreview.com ) show two extremes - comments from those who are still trying to convince themselves they MUST have bought the best, and comments from folk who don't even own the camera in question  - very strange. I was attracted to this forum because Michael owned an 828 and was intending to use it on safari.

My regards

Evan

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 02:20:23 pm »

I'm not sure if this is your first digital or not, but given your experience with photography over the years, I can't imagine that your going to be happy with a point-and-shoot type camera.  I just went through this with my uncle...  He purchased the Sony 828 because he didn't want to shell out the extra cash (a year or so ago).  Now he has a 20D and has never gone back.  With today's prices for the SLR kits (canon or nikon), the price jump between the 828 and an SLR is not that big when compared to the jump in performance.  You can get a really good picture from just about any camera, but with any of the current SLRs you can take photos under much more demanding conditions and are simply just much more fun and reactive when you push the button.  If you can, I would strongly recommend trying the different cameras a store.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 10:44:52 am »

IMO abaazov's comment is not out of line at all. An f828 would be useless in a no-flash-allowed wedding where ISO 1600 + f/2.8 is barely adequate, especially in mixed-light situations (fluorescent lights on one side of the room, and incandescent on the other) make shooting RAW mandatory if anything approaching decent color is desired. Certainly it is smaller and quieter than a 1D-MkII, but there really is no comparison between the 1D-MkII and the F828 when it comes down to results delivered in demanding situations. If I was having a wedding in a low-light, no-flash-allowed venue, I would not consider any photographer who showed up with a 707 or 828 for the simple reason that those cameras simply will not deliver the goods in such a situation. No matter how talented the photographer is, the technical limitations of the tools will seriously compromise the results. Equipment DOES make a difference, or we would all still be running around with pinhole cameras. A true professional will simply show up with an appropriate tool for the job, and won't make silly excuses about "the camera doesn't matter". Sometimes it doesn't, but sometimes it does. And all the protestations to the contrary and post-processing wizardry won't change that.

damonff

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 09:51:38 pm »

Check out my review...

http://www.photo.net/equipment/sony/f828/

~Damon

Tenner

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 07:42:56 am »

My quest for a new camera seemed quite simple ~ Canon 350D v. Nikon D70, until I started to consider my budget and photographic 'needs'. Gone are the days of lugging heavy gear around.
I 'discovered' the Sony DSC-F828 by chance, albeit almost 2 years after its release. Reviews were not encouraging, until I stumbled on yours, Michael. It was refreshing to read a review from a pro user and I had to 'sleep on it'. I am now thinking seriously about the Sony. Most comments in this forum are 12 months old or more, but that means you have been using it for longer ( as stated in your report, you were about to go on safari with it.
My questions are - have you changed your (initial) views ? Am I stepping into a potential 'obsloscence' situation as the 828 is now approximately 2 years old ? I can appreciate the argument "go for what's right for you" - but thought I'd ask anyway.
My thanks and regards.

Tenner

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 11:31:23 am »

Thank you for your prompt reply.
The Sony DSC-F828 is still available in a few mail-order outlets here in the UK, The price ranges from £499 to an incredible £949.99 !

Tenner

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 11:43:01 am »

ARD : Thanks for your comments. My thoughts are still with a fixed lens camera, as opposed to an SLR, if possible. The attraction of the Sony was the lens - I've had Zeiss T* previously and they are superb. Trying to 'narrow' the field has produced a longer list as I've seen previews of the Canon s2 IS and the Nikon D50 and stumbled on the Nikon 8800. At each turn, I seem to be reviewing my needs. Now if the Sony had an IS system, there'd be no more dithering. :laugh:

eatstickyrice

• http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwaggoner
Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 09:08:22 pm »

Tenner, I guess it depends on what you would like to use this camera for. The pictures I've seen come out of the DSC-F828 are covered in colored splotches, which frustrates me to where I can't use them when they come across my desk. dpreview.com has a fairly thorough review that includes a noise graph. You might want to take a look at it before you make your decision. The test photos are next to a 300D by Canon, which appear to be much smoother. I would imagine the 350D some have suggested would be better than that.

Rick
[url=http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwa

Willowroot

• http://www.willowroot.ca
Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 10:04:12 am »

Minolta A2 and A200 are similar concept but with image stabilization.
Jason Elias
willowroot.ca

ARD

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 08:29:00 am »

Have a look here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/ery comprehensive review of the Sony and may others. Thing is with camera choice there are so many, and there comes a time when you have to bite the bullet and pick one. If I were going for a fixed lens again I think I'd go for something that it still new on the market, that way, if the camera doesn't deliver what you hoped, it should still have a good re-sale value

ctgardener

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 10:25:10 am »

Tenner, it's interesting that you object to the E-300 based on noise, but are considering the 828.  Whether "grain-like" or "digital-like" noise is easier to deal with is pretty irrelevant given the relative amounts of noise.  

If you stick to the lowest ISO on the 828, you'll make fine prints.  If you want to use the camera for much else, you may get frustrated with it or just get used to noise reduction in post-processing.  

The Zeiss lens is nice on that camera, but in the same vein as the noise issue ... other aspects of image quality essentially dwarf the Zeiss legend.  

I'd personally opt for the A2 over the 828 based on all the reviews I've read, Zeiss lens notwithstanding.  But I'm not about to limit myself to ISO 100 and under.  For nature photography only, maybe, but not for other photography.  I readily shoot ISO 1600 on my 7D at f/2 *with* antishake.  And this isn't obscure usage - it's sitting around at dusk or indoors with friends & family.  I have a Sony F717 which has an f/2-2.4 lens and a 5MP sensor with better noise characteristics than the 828, and I only take it out in bright light, because I avoid ISO 400 like the plague.  Noise in ISO 400 images is visible in a 4x6 print unless you post process.  Zeiss optics don't really do a whole lot for me under those circumstances.  

This is a landscape photography site, so maybe I'm being presumptious in thinking you'll want to shoot at higher ISOs.  Some of the restriction of a camera like this (lack of very shallow DOF, high noise at higher ISO) aren't so bad, especially considering what you can do with a compact kit.  

I don't know exactly what Oly offers for lenses that would cover a 28-200 range - I'd be much more interested in the image quality you could get from the E-1 or E-300 than any small sensor digicam, though I don't place enough value in "compact" to want to invest in 4/3 myself.

- Dennis

abaazov

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 02:32:02 pm »

i have to echo the sentiments of evan. i had an f828 for over a year, and i must say it served me well. but it is not a performance-oriented camera. for me the noise levels at high iso were just too much. add to that the fact that if you shoot raw you can forget about taking any photos in succession. i now have the 20d and it is night and day. the difference in price is huge, over double the price, and much much more when you start building a decent lens arsenal, but there is no question the f828 is deficient for serious photography.

abaazov

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 08:16:05 am »

very true. you can take great pictures with any camera, be it the most expensive or the least expensive. maybe i went too far. but i still think the f828 has some serious limitations, specially in low-light situations.

Tenner

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 02:01:53 pm »

Thank you - each one of you for your interest and contributions. I won't repeat or quot individual's comments because I don't want to take up too much space. Many of your points are valid, some are even relevant - those that weren't ? well that's my fault for not giving enough detail, perhaps. I am not a professional photographer, so I'm hardly going to be invited to a wedding as an official shooter and if I were I'd be using appropriate ( quiet ) gear - a point I learned the hard way when taking shots at a theatrical production with a Rollei ( I swear it would have been quieter if I'd taken a Zenith with it's tank lid shutter )
To a certain extent, I echo abaazov's comments, and should say it's a compromise because of limitations of budget - I didn't want to go down the SLR path and start building an arsenal of expensive lenses. Having searched many sites for reviews and users' comments ( and I must say this is a rewarding one ) I have finally taken the plunge and my order arrived today. My first impression ? It feels 'right' in my big hands and I shall enjoy exploring its potential ( given my limitations as a 'snapper' ) fully aware that it will give questionable results as it is pushed to its extremes. I hope my gamble doesn't prove to be one I regret.
Thank you all again - happy shooting, cos that's what its all about !

iordanov

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 03:15:07 am »

"With today's prices for the SLR kits (canon or nikon), the price jump between the 828 and an SLR is not that big when compared to the jump in performance."

IMO this is a myth. When the respective lenses are taken in account the price for a mid range DSLR almost triple(!) compared to F828/ A2 type of digicam.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2005, 01:52:22 am »

I've been using the F828 for about 6 months now. Yep, it do have its limitations, but even in sunset situations, it delivers crisp 12x18 prints when you work with it.

It will only close down to F8.0, so I'm learning to use ND filters to help that problem. Also, it has a deep DoF, which the ND's can help by opening the aperture more in sunny situations.

As far as aberations go, such as the purple fringing and blockes, yep, I've seent eh purple many times, and the blocking a few. The blocking happens when you try to take pictures into to teh sun too much usually. The purple fringe never shows up in prints though so far.

Noise? Yep, but when you consider your original on screen size is about 45" wide and you are compressing it down to 18 inches wide, you don't see much noise at ISO 200 or less when printed.

That said, I hope Sony come up with a professional F828 type camera. If they couild manage to update the F828 so it had less noise and useable higer ISOs with less abberation, they would ahve a show stopper on their hands. It's a very pleasurable, solid camera to use.

Lin Evans

• http://www.lin-evans.net
Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 03:18:00 pm »

Now, a couple of month's later, my thanks again to all those who contributed to my request for comments. So far, I've been delighted with the F828 - a solid, well built and balanced camera that suits my large hands - and have been pleased with (many of) the results.
I quite agree. I got to this thread rather late, but I've had great results with my F828 and find it very useful professionally especially for macro shots of small art objects.

Though I have literally dozens of digital cameras including seven dSLR's and a Kodak digital MF back, I find the F828 works very well for situations where I have neither the time nor space to set up my strobes, reflectors, tripod, backdrops, etc., to shoot with my higher resolution dSLR's or my Kodak back. I can get results in a few seconds with the F828 with minimal fuss which literally take a minimum of a half hour set-up with my other cameras.

The small amount of purple fringe at high contrast borders is easily removed or ameliorated to the point of being inconsequential in 16x20 inch prints. The images and prints are very sharp and with excellent details. It's not the perfect camera for all-around photography (if there is such a thing) but in rebuttal to comments that it not suitable for professional work - that's certainly not my opinion or experience.

Lin
Lin

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 10:54:42 am »

The F828 appears to have mostly disappered from dealers shelves. Sony seems to have lost interest in it as well, since there is no follow-up promotion since its launch.

Cameras like the Canon Rebel XT350 and upcoming Nikon D50 have ecliped it in many ways, along with that whole generation of 8MP digicams.

It still is capable of producing first rate images though, and has a lovely and versatile lens. But there is still the CA problem (though I never saw it as a big deal), and when shooting raw the camera is a bit of a slug.

Michael

PaulM

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 03:31:46 pm »

At around £500, you could also take a look at the Olympus E-300. The lens range is superb, apparently up there with Zeiss (which I also have). They're a pretty silly price now, and I'd imagine would provide image quality at least as good as the Sony. DSLR for digicam money.

Paul
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up