Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson7600 platen gap setting on Mac  (Read 3619 times)

Shawn

epson7600 platen gap setting on Mac
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:05:30 am »

Hello all LULA people,

I have been helping a friend calibrate and profile his system. Monitor and printer. All has gone well but he is running a Mac, (I'm mostly a Windows man) and I could not find the adjustment for Platen gap. We are reproducing original paintings and printing to canvas.

Mac OS recent version
Photoshop CS5
Epson 7600
BCChromata White

In Photoshop CS5, the print dialog box that pops up is not the usual Epson one, that I'm use to, but looks like its run under to OS? Maybe this is a Mac thing? I rewatched the LULA Screen to Print Videos and the box is the same.

The printer is an older 7600, he has run it for a couple of years but never had a good print output..we are printing to Breathing Color Chromata White, and using Spyder3, SpyderPro, to calibrate and profile. After a couple of runs and target prints we are very close to having a great screen, print, original. I would like to tweak it a bit more with a custom profile and adjust the platen gap.

Could anyone direct me to where the setting is for this? We are getting good results with the canned ICC profiles but I would like to make a custom profile but need to be able to adjust the platen. I realize one should be able to do so at the printer istself but if we can do it in the software we can save as a custom setting..right?

I would greatly appreciate any input..I have done some online searching, and on this site but not seen anything specific to this.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

All the best,

Shawn

Sal Baker

Re: epson7600 platen gap setting on Mac
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 02:42:20 pm »

Make sure your friend is running the actual Epson driver, not the generic Apple driver.  Open "Print Settings" in the Photoshop Print Settings in "Printer Setup."  Select "Advanced Media Control" from the drop down menu.  the Platen Gap setting is there.

Sal

Shawn

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:30:04 pm »

Thank you! I will have a look.

Jim Metzger

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:25:12 pm »

Posted about 6 pages in on this section of the forum:

The 9600 is the same feature set as the 7600 and the platen gap is set on the printer itself. Very easy to do. Page 2-19 in the manual, available online.

Press "select type" so PRINTER SETUP appears.
press the > key twice to get to platen gap.
use ^ and V arrow keys to set platen width.
Press ENTER
Press Pause to hold the setting. Don't forget to switch back to STANDARD when done for "regular" paper printing.

Shawn

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 10:07:36 pm »

Thanks Jim..but is it not possible to do so in the printer driver dialog box. I have an Epson 9880 and can do so in the Epson print settings box via Photoshop print command..Just wondering..Then a preset can be save with all the settings and not have to adjust the printer, directly, on each job.  Unless I'm missing something here?

I'm heading back up to my friends place next week to have another look.

Thanks for all the help

Jim Metzger

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:18:12 am »

On the 7600 you cannot set platen gap at the dialog box, only on the printer itself. It only takes a few seconds.

This is the price we pay for having a bulletproof printer, mine is 12 years and going strong (knock on fiber based paper!) I would like real B&W however.

Regards,

Jim

Shawn

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:41:19 pm »

Thanks for the info..I will give that a try.

All the best,

Shawn

John Chardine

• chardine photography
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 03:53:22 pm »

The 7600 has a paper thickness sensor so if you don't mind me asking, why is it important to manually adjust the platen gap?

Jim Metzger

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:17:08 pm »

According to the manual, page 2-19, the Standard setting will allow the printer to adjust automatically. However if print quality is not satisfactory or you are using very thin or very thick media, this should be set manually.

Third party papers such as Lyve Canvas calls for setting a wider platen gap.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up