Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Controlled shooting via iPad  (Read 5836 times)

SeanBK

Controlled shooting via iPad
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:51:57 pm »

CamRanger has a solution, that looks quite functional, albeit $300. Has anyone uses it or any other products/app where I can point the tripod mounted camera @ awkward angle > live view & shoot. As I'm not Cirque De Soleil cast member. :)

Thanx.

http://www.camranger.com/

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Controlled shooting via iPad
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 02:07:29 pm »

CamRanger has a solution, that looks quite functional, albeit $300. Has anyone uses it or any other products/app where I can point the tripod mounted camera @ awkward angle > live view & shoot. As I'm not Cirque De Soleil cast member. :)

Thanx.

http://www.camranger.com/

I use Phase1 Capture Pilot.  I love it.  Requires Capture 1 Pro and a tethered connection to a computer.
Craig Lamson Photo

SeanBK

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 02:56:32 pm »

Than you I appreciate your reply, but that seems so..o 2011. That is not good in the field. Yes, u can put your laptop on a separate tripod but so many limitation when compared to Camranger. Still glad hear a review of that part of Capture One - Pilot.

jrsforums

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 03:22:28 pm »

CamRanger works as advertised....with ipad or iPhone...and, I believe, has, or will, added Android.

It is extremely easy and the authors are very responsive...and have added user suggestions.
John

Craig Lamson

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 04:32:34 pm »

Than you I appreciate your reply, but that seems so..o 2011. That is not good in the field. Yes, u can put your laptop on a separate tripod but so many limitation when compared to Camranger. Still glad hear a review of that part of Capture One - Pilot.

I like 2011....

And I'm more interested in the laptop screen and Photoshop for critical viewing on location.  The Ipad is a control device and quick viewing device...at least for me.  My laptop goes on a folding table....

Craig Lamson Photo

K.C.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 07:59:49 pm »

I use camranger and love it. It's a great solution to working WITHOUT having to tether and carry a laptop.

I recently shot an indoor sport event where I left the iPad with the photo editor and he got to see every image I captured moments after I shot while I was 100' away and moving around the entire time.

I also use it with the camera mounted on a suction mount where I can't see the camera LCD. Great when you're working in tight quarters with the TS-E 17.

I've also placed it where the subject can review as we shoot in the studio.

Pretty hard to beat and well worth the money.

SeanBK

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 11:39:49 pm »

:) Craig,
   I understand your shooting situations & practice, which would work for u. But I started looking into this situation as I was planning to be Antelope Canyon, where it is cramped and you are shooting with W.A lens pointing upward. Laptop on a separate table/tripod will be impossible.
  Appreciate your POV.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 01:36:48 pm »

:) Craig,
   I understand your shooting situations & practice, which would work for u. But I started looking into this situation as I was planning to be Antelope Canyon, where it is cramped and you are shooting with W.A lens pointing upward. Laptop on a separate table/tripod will be impossible.
  Appreciate your POV.

No problem.  One size does not fit all...
Craig Lamson Photo

RFPhotography

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 07:49:31 pm »

CamRanger works well.  It  does support Android now, although still in beta.  Sadly, because Apple doesn't support USB host, a wireless solution is the only option.  If you routinely find yourself in situations where contortionist-like flexibility is necessary, CamRanger would be a good option.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 09:47:34 pm »

CamRanger is terrific. Been using it since january.

douglas frost

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 05:01:37 am »

another vote for camranger! i had been using an eye-fi card for wireless reviewing for the last two years, but it was always 'buggy' - regularly dropping out and having to reconnect.

the camranger has been faultless and has the added advantage of letting you control the camera from your ipad. whilst $300 isn't cheap, it's still half the price of the canon offering (not sure what system you are using..).

regards, douglas

ptakeuchi

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 04:36:00 pm »

I, too, am contemplating buying the CamRanger because I find the EyeFi card so flakey to my iPad mini.

I'm curious though if some of the issues with the EyeFi card can be attributed to lots of competing wifi networks and if this might also affect the camranger use in an urban area. I live in NYC and usually shoot interiors tethered with my Nikon D800E to my macbook pro with Nikon Capture Control. That works great but it is wired and has all the benefits and disadvantages of a wire. Now that I have an iPad, I can see that I can make do with the small jpeg preview of the EyeFi card--when it works. My experience with EyeFi here is that I constantly lose the connection except when I'm shooting a short burst. It is just too annoying for me and client. Will the CamRanger offer better performance and reliability in such a wifi network dense environment? (I'm just speculating that other competing networks may affect EyeFi performance--I have no idea--but just about anywhere in the city, I can pick up at minimum of 15 networks and usually 20-30 or more on my iPad.)

Also, can anybody comment on camera and CR battery drainage with CR? With the EyeFi card in my D800E I go through 3 camera batteries in about 5 hours with live view usage. I'm willing to buy more batteries and keep my charger with me, but just want to evaluate how much I'm really going to need to spend to preview wirelessly for a whole day shoot. Thanks for your help.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 05:23:18 pm »

Range on the CamRanger is very, very good even in very intense urban situations.
The drain on the camera battery is what you'd expect for leaving the camera on in Live View mode for a prolonged period.

I wrote up one of my CamRanger + D800 experiences for Really Right Stuff's blog: http://blog.reallyrightstuff.com/bts-ellisvener/

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 07:23:02 pm »

I wrote up one of my CamRanger + D800 experiences for Really Right Stuff's blog: http://blog.reallyrightstuff.com/bts-ellisvener/

She is a beautiful spider indeed!

Cheers,
Bernard

ptakeuchi

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 08:00:14 pm »

Ellis,

Thanks for the link to that great blog post and your comments. That was all I needed to make up my mind. I'm ordering the CamRanger tomorrow!

Paul

ptakeuchi

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 11:15:50 am »

I just used my CameraRanger on my first shoot and am very satisfied. The software is great on my iPad and the connection is reliable. Highly recommended for any photographers who do interiors, product, closeup, or other types of photography where chimping small previews on the camera's LCD is not very convenient.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 09:12:16 pm »

I thought you might like it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up