Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to change my Pentax 645D system!  (Read 24611 times)

atlnq9

Re: I want to change my Pentax 645D system!
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2013, 02:07:08 pm »

I get a big chuckle out of this thread.  People dodging back and forth negatives about the other guys system and positives about their system.  I think you guys have missed a huge fact which somebody tried to point out a couple times.  These are two different systems.  It is like trying to compare a sports car to a SUV.  Each excel in different areas.

I think the original poster has made a fine decision to stick with the 645D.  It is the system he is use to and understands well and also understands the shortfalls already and how to work around them.

For me the Pentax 645D is perfect.  I do a lot of landscape photography (aerial and land based), wildlife environmental work, and travel/expedition.  This system doesn't do everything perfect but it does these roles far better than the Phase and Hassy jobs can do since it is more DSLR like, is weather sealed, doesn't have a removable back, and also the selection of lenses from 25mm to 600mm (or 800mm from the Pentax 67 system).  If I focused on other types of photography I would likely look at a different system.  I wouldn't use medium format at a soccer game and I wouldn't use a micro four thirds at a fasion shoot.

And as my last word I get a massive chuckle out of all the flaming about tethering and fashion shoots with art directors breathing down your back on a forum called Luminous Landscape.  Oh my.  Some people have too much time to search all the forums around...

MrSmith

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2013, 02:55:22 pm »

" I wouldn't use a micro four thirds at a fasion shoot."

Cooter to the thread! Cooter to the thread!

JV

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2013, 03:21:16 pm »

I wouldn't use a micro four thirds at a fasion shoot.

Not everybody seems to think so...:
http://jonathanposner.tumblr.com/post/40780795719/my-olympus-challenge-10

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2013, 09:01:00 pm »

Well, I mainly agree with Posner but... image quality is the ultimate goal just imediately second after content. So, I doubt I'd sell my FF system for m4/3 for the convenience. After all, we are talking about work, aren't we? If I could afford DMF, I certainly use it for almost all the work meant to be published. Certainly for all fashion and beauty.
Eduardo

bcooter

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2013, 09:18:26 pm »

Nice clean spread he did that featured olympus.  

I don't know the lighting, don't know the size of the production, or intent, or time, but personally, I'd have used a different camera.  If i'd have kept my 1ds 3s or probably a 5d2, or if enough light a p21+, or if 4/3 the pana gh3 with olympus primes.  

I think the olympus is just a damn hard camera to shoot.  It's seems counter intuitive to me and has those weird shades of green, that can be corrected in post, but they're always there.  The GH3 starts with brown, natural like skin tones that aren't global and are  nice and  clean and with smooth, not over sharp skin, with the oly primes very good detail and the gh3 is very intuitive, very quick, better viewfinder, though a 1ds3, 5d2 would have worked well and probably a lot easier, but once again that's not a critique, I just know if this was a mood board I'd probably go another direction and if it was static it could have easily used the contax/p21.

I am going to try the new olympus, but if the menu is as complicated as the OMD5 and the dials/buttons counter intuitive, I'll just stick with the Pana's for video and 4/3.    

Actually looking at the horizontals, and given my current frame of work, I could have shot them with the RED and put together a nice little motion piece, but please understand this is not a critique of the photography.

IMO

BC

Different Genre but this was shot pana 43, though also shot other cameras and threw the 43 in on a whim a while back and liked this pose.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 09:57:02 pm by bcooter »

atlnq9

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2013, 01:38:06 am »

You guys need to go out and get a girlfriend, a wife, or just a whole new life if you will pick one random thing out of a post that wasn't part of the main context and run with it like that.  Seesh.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:40:40 am by atlnq9 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up