Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edit in Nik Software from LR  (Read 3241 times)

jma47

Edit in Nik Software from LR
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:09:43 am »

Hello,

I am currently working with a Canon 5D III (file 5760x3840), LR 4 and a Epson 4900 printer.
When editing the file in NS (from Lightroom), I have to select a few options. My selection is to work in: TIFF/ProPhoto/16 bits/No compression but I am wondering what is the best number to enter for 'resolution' in order to get the best quality (it is 240 by default) for my master file.
Thanks for your input.

Best regards,

Jean-Marie Antoine

tommm

Re: Edit in Nik Software from LR
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:10:06 am »

It makes no difference whilst editing only when you come to print.

jma47

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 04:11:56 am »

It makes no difference whilst editing only when you come to print.

Thks but what will happen if I enter the default (240) when editing but enter 360 (or 720) in the LR print module?

Best,
jma47

tommm

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 01:52:38 pm »

Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs....

An image contains a certain number of pixels, x by y, so long as you don't upsample (expand the image and create extra pixels) or downsample (condense the image into fewer pixels).

The resolution is simply a factor of the number of pixels in the image divided by the size you choose the image to be displayed or printed at. Or, equally, the size of the images is simply how many pixels it contains divided by the resolution you set.

On screen, if you zoom in or out you change the resolution. So by setting the resolution for display on screen you simply define how big it will be displayed but as soon as you change the size (by dragging a bounding box or zooming in, etc) you also change the resolution - but it has no effect on the content of the image.

Equally if you print (without resampling) at different sizes you end up with different resolution prints.

However, the "resolution" tick box in the Lightroom Print module is actually an instruction to resample your image. So it will either create extra pixels to print or condense the image into fewer pixels. To maintain the relationship described above you need to untick this box completely. If you then tick the dimensions box higher up, the true resolution of your image will be displayed top left.

This resampling by lightroom is only done "on the fly" whilst making the print so it still would have no effect on your master image, just on what the print would look like (usually a positive effect but this is another lesson - check out the lightroom video tutorials or "From camera to print" video tutorial).

Hope that helps.

Tom

jma47

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 04:26:14 am »

Thanks Tommm.
I don't have a understanding issue with the resolution issue in the LR print module (thanks to this forum).
My problem is to understand the resolution approach within the Nik software products. When I edit in NS (from LR), I have to enter a number, the resolution is 240 by default. In previous answer you said :
"It makes no difference whilst editing only when you come to print".
So, the printer native resolution being 360, do you advice to enter this number (360) instead of the default figure (240)?
I hope I can express myself clearly as I am French speaking.  Thanks again for your help.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 10:48:59 am »

Maybe you are confusing ppi with dpi.

If so, have a look at this: http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

tommm

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 12:37:27 pm »

Hi Jean-Marie,

Assuming you are just editing the image in Nik software and not printing from there or resampling (I don't use Nik software so not even sure if it's possible to print from it), then as I said it makes no difference what resolution you set, it is just a nominal value which actually changes every time you zoom in or out.

Resolution on screen will never effect the image unless it is expressly being up or down sampled.

When it comes to printing resolution is important and generally it is thought best to print out at the printers native resolution but this need only be done at the time of printing.

All the best,

Tom

IWC Doppel

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 12:04:24 pm »

I am also interested in this and if the choice of ProphotoRGB and TIFF is also the best.(My 'guesses' as well)

I print from LR as I suspect the OP does and using an epson 3880 I choose 360 dpi in the LR print module so the flow is raw in LR-NS-LR-Print. The question is regarding the resolution choice on the first move from LR to NS where their is an editing choice regarding resolution, which possibly has nop effect on printing when the saved from NS image is bought back to LR ?

IWC Doppel

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:48 am »

I think I got there, you can ignore 'resolution' as this only relevant for printing ans if you save back into LR and print from there, no issue

I have settled on

Photo RGB
Tiff
16 bit
No compression
360 (just in case !)
Pages: [1]   Go Up