Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powder Magazine Redux  (Read 1317 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Powder Magazine Redux
« on: August 29, 2013, 06:57:38 pm »

I spent today up in the goldfields and was lucky enough to have some interesting clouds behind this powder magazine. The more distant range shows up in this one too.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Harald L

Re: Powder Magazine Redux
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:12:09 am »

Nothing much to say. Just perfect.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:32:59 am »

Nothing much to say. Just perfect.

Agreed, the image is so good that it looks simple.
Francois

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:27:10 am »

At great personal risk, I have to dissent. I love the tones. Fantastic. But I am having trouble with what the subject is. Is it the powder magazine, which seems under emphasized behind those trees? My eye keeps going back and forth from foreground, to mountains, to clouds, and back again. Also, is that mist in between and just behind the trees? Perhaps there's another shot behind the powder magazine, but this is what we have to look at. Anyway, my two cents.

RSL

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 12:44:55 pm »

You're right, David. It really isn't about the powder magazine. It's about the mountains and the clouds and the mist. But the reason I titled it "Powder Magazine" is that it's part of a set of five pictures of the goldfields' historical structures for a show early next year in Florida. Actually, I made four shots at various zooms off my tripod. There are others where the structure is the focus of the picture, but this is my favorite of the group.

Harald L

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 01:00:59 pm »

At great personal risk, I have to dissent. I love the tones. Fantastic. But I am having trouble with what the subject is. Is it the powder magazine, which seems under emphasized behind those trees? My eye keeps going back and forth from foreground, to mountains, to clouds, and back again. Also, is that mist in between and just behind the trees? Perhaps there's another shot behind the powder magazine, but this is what we have to look at. Anyway, my two cents.

You're right in general but I've judged the picture only. If I would consider the titles particular in this forum - I know how difficult and misleading this could be ... ;D

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 01:02:55 pm »

You're right, David. It really isn't about the powder magazine. It's about the mountains and the clouds and the mist. But the reason I titled it "Powder Magazine" is that it's part of a set of five pictures of the goldfields' historical structures for a show early next year in Florida. Actually, I made four shots at various zooms off my tripod. There are others where the structure is the focus of the picture, but this is my favorite of the group.
I get it. In that sort of context, it now makes better sense to me. Wish I could see the series!

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 01:04:44 pm »

You're right in general but I've judged the picture only. If I would consider the titles particular in this forum - I know how difficult and misleading this could be ... ;D

Harald
Yup. I see it now. I was indeed hung up on the powder magazine itself! Your comment and Russ' made me see the image very differently.

RSL

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 10:49:20 am »

Here's the rest of the series, David. You've seen most of 'em.

They appear darker here than they do in prints. I guess it's the jpeg conversion.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:54:08 am by RSL »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 04:16:20 pm »

What a lovely series, Russ. Very, very nice. And by the way, I have been studying clouds, and you're right! They ARE gray! Good luck with the show in Florida.
Pages: [1]   Go Up