Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there any trick to remove Arca-Swiss glued clamps?  (Read 7276 times)

torger

Is there any trick to remove Arca-Swiss glued clamps?
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:22:35 pm »

I have recently become aware that Arca-Swiss has started to glue the clamp to their heads so the bolt cannot be unscrewed to remove the clamp  >:(. This means that when you get your excellent Arca-Swiss head you still have to suffer with the poor original clamps rather than replacing it with a good one for example from Really Right Stuff, which was what "everyone" did before.

Does anyone know about any trick to remove the bolt? Has anyone done it? Like heating it with a soldering iron or something to melt the glue?

I just got a D4 and I'm considering to send it back if the clamp cannot be replaced.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:24:16 pm by torger »

NancyP

Re: Is there any trick to remove Arca-Swiss glued clamps?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:28:11 pm »

Please see my 8/29/13 post in the D4 geared head thread for suggestions. I haven't tried to remove my A-S original lever clamp, and I have gotten rather fond of it (on the Z1 ball head). Another option (if the head is new) is to exchange it for a D4 version with just a baseplate, and add your own favorite clamp.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:37:00 pm »

Hi,

Just use a 3.5 mm hex key. The D4 head dismount using reasonable force. Ask RRS for correct plate. I made the switch and it is very easy.

Best regards
Erik

I have recently become aware that Arca-Swiss has started to glue the clamp to their heads so the bolt cannot be unscrewed to remove the clamp  >:(. This means that when you get your excellent Arca-Swiss head you still have to suffer with the poor original clamps rather than replacing it with a good one for example from Really Right Stuff, which was what "everyone" did before.

Does anyone know about any trick to remove the bolt? Has anyone done it? Like heating it with a soldering iron or something to melt the glue?

I just got a D4 and I'm considering to send it back if the clamp cannot be replaced.
Erik Kaffehr

torger

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 01:49:58 am »

This thread became a bit of a duplicate, sorry, so I refer back into the original D4 thread here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=64167.msg658976#msg658976
Pages: [1]   Go Up