Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storm a brewin'  (Read 859 times)

cjogo

Storm a brewin'
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:32:21 am »

Rollei SL ~~ 50mm ~~ Orange filter

1979 West Coast

Harald L

Re: Storm a brewin'
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 03:04:06 am »

For me the story is told by the foreground, the pier and the shipwreck. This story could be told more focussed. The clouds are less interesting and far away from storm (IMHO). Therefore to much sky. Even the grainy section on the right doesn't fit to the rest of the picture.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

cjogo

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:14:50 pm »

I thought the clouds were so shaped liked the pier & the breakwater  -- I have tighter images of the the wall I will find.   With waves crashing into the steel water break ..     Maybe its two images in one...   thanks
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:33:58 pm by cjogo »

Harald L

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:23:22 pm »

Given that intend I've revised the clouds carefully. The only thing I've detected was a strange looking crocodile and now the picture is ruined for me - I only see that crocodile;-)

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

DanLehman

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:07:00 pm »

I like the moderately dramatic grey sky, and think it's a nice contrast to the sharply defined foreground elements.  I yearn for more view on the left, though, and so am less happy with the square view.

But as you say, you have various views.  A tight one centered around the ship looks to be good IMO, too!
(E.g., from the right side leftwards to just include the front-of-piles/wall still water, excluding the next round piling, with sky cropped down to cut out the bright area at right, so, putting pier near the center horizon --and nevermind any Rule... about the wrongness of this!)

Thanks,
--dl*
====

amolitor

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 02:16:29 pm »

I find it somewhat flawed in that all the visually interesting stuff is crammed into the bottom 20 percent of the frame. The clouds are nice, and doing their absolute best to make this be a picture of a dramatic sky, but they just havent got the juice to compete with masses of detail on the bottom of the frame.

Russ will disagree, I expect, but I think taking some of the bottom off would really strengthen this. Possibly just give us the top edge of that foreground seawall/fence construction, enough to weight the bottom of the frame without being distracting.

I am assuming that the appalling mess I am seeing in the highlighted clouds is a JPEG/scan artifact, and not an issue in the negative -- if it is, I think this is a brave attempt that should be scrapped, too many issues.

cjogo

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 12:18:51 pm »

Thanks for all the input.

Hopefully just a little jpeg /artifacts in the sky ...not sure when (skill level  :o ) and what machine I scanned this neg.  Just remember it was 1979..    when I clicked the shutter.

I never cropped back 30 years ago..a truest  :D     When the camera groups would get together > we showed contacts sheets.  The idea being :: you showed your expertise > with your exposure in the Zonal skills and a visual responsibility, going to edges of the frame.   :o

Now its CS and multi exposure :D    I am taking notes on all responses of my uploads... to see which images I will rescan & apply new skills = I might have mastered in 25 years of scanning negs/photoshop .
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:41:14 pm by cjogo »

cjogo

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:21:14 pm »

Given that intend I've revised the clouds carefully. The only thing I've detected was a strange looking crocodile and now the picture is ruined for me - I only see that crocodile;-)

Harald

Hey Harald -- I see it now  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up