Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What future products would you WANT to see from MF(or other system) companies?  (Read 14109 times)

DanielStone

This might seem redundant, but how's about stating what you NEED, and 2ndly, what you WANT to see in the future from MF mfg's?
It can by idealistic, but lets keep this on topic.
I'm NOT talking about a camera that can change your client's opinion telepathically when you want it to :D, or one that'll make you a damned fine espresso! No, I'm talking SERIOUS here, working camera ideas.

Please state your intentions of WHY you want these things, and WHAT you'd be doing with them if they were available:

I'll start:

FUJI 6X9(56x86mm) rangefinders(yes, 2 versions, 'normal' and a 'wide' version. Just like the GW/GSW690 series of cameras.
I explained it in this thread here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=81592.msg658707#msg658707   (Reply #11)

Why I want it:
I love film, and will continue to shoot it. But having an integrated sensor, MF rangefinder-type camera would just be the 'creme de la creme' for traveling IMO...
What I'd do with it:
I'd personally choose the 90/3.5 lens. I'd travel with it. Keep it on me, just like I do the film versions(6x8III, however).

so what do YOU want to see?
remember, please keep it serious :)

-Dan
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:25:44 am by DanielStone »

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com

Hello,

I want a Nikon with a 60mg sensor, selectable strength low-pass filter and a global shutter.

Cheers

Simon
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:42:02 pm by HarperPhotos »
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Aphoto

• Architectural photography, Berlin

1. I want a Canon-Camera without mirrorbox and a FF-40MP-shift-sensor (D800e like dynamic range) with 12mm movements in every direction for high resolution stitch-images or just simple shift.
2. I want a 80MP MF-back (48x36mm Sensor) with pixel-binning for high dynamic range (=40MP effective) and 20mm shift movements in each direction
Best, Adrian // www.adrianschulz.com

Chris Livsey

I would like an "affordable" (aware this is relative) transparently priced MFDB, as a non professional user with no tax write down or daly rate to ameliorate the cost  ::)

Rob C

I would like a revived 500 Series 'blad, with a factory-fitted, fixed FF sensor at reasonabale cost (£3000 - £3500), with the capabilities that my D700 sensor has.

What to do with it? Sell off everything else photographic that I own and finally have the perfect, neat system for my likely uses...

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Keep dreaming!

Best regards
Erik

I would like a revived 500 Series 'blad, with a factory-fitted, fixed FF sensor at reasonabale cost (£3000 - £3500), with the capabilities that my D700 sensor has.

What to do with it? Sell off everything else photographic that I own and finally have the perfect, neat system for my likely uses...

Rob C
Erik Kaffehr

Mr. Rib

Hmm, this might count as dreaming.. but I would like a 10 x 8 sensor, about 300-400mp, with good dynamic range and a few fps live view capability (so that you still have a groundglass-like experience when you are working with it). It would be cool if I didn't have to win the lottery to afford it. Who knows, maybe in 10-15 years.. :)

torger

Low cost tech cam friendly back aimed at all the landscape photography amateurs out there in their motorcycle buying age. I think there is a market. The perfect tradeoff with current cameras and lens lines I think would be a 48x36mm back based on the 48 megapixel Dalsa FTF6080C (currently used by Sinar eXact), and sell that for say $6000-$8000. Lower cost made possible with smaller sensor size and existing off-the-shelf sensor. Modern GUI/screen and passive cooling (if possible with that sensor tech) good for outdoor use. Possibly with an active cooling adapter to support long exposures. Skip tethering if you want to differentiate from more expensive "professional" models. This is a product that could be launched today.

A large sensor fat pixel back for legacy camera systems would be interesting concept, say a 56x56mm 9 um back, it could be used with the still-in-production Hy6 too. I would personally not be too interested though as a tech camera user -- the current tech cam lens lineups do not have large enough image circles (on the wides) to have an adequate amount of shift for that kind of sensor size, at least according to my taste.

New sensor technology with extremely low color cast would be interesting, to strengthen the uniqueness of tech camera lens designs (symmetrical wides). A completely new tech cam format would also be exciting, where you go a little bit larger to relax manufacturing precision requirements and get robust high-performance systems. A sensor large as the scanning backs capture area, 72x96mm with 9 um pixels (85 megapixels) and very low color cast. Would work well with 4x5" lenses. Chip sizes that large I think is unrealistic from a pricing perspective though, would probably cost say $100k-$200k for a back.

And yes, CMOS, live view, high ISO would also be an exciting new technology, but not too vital for me. A CMOS with less than excellent image quality would not be good. Live view would be the most useful feature for me so I could leave the sliding back at home. Unfortunately I think a CMOS back will have extreme color cast and not be suitable for wide tech cam lenses, ie it will be a MF-DSLR product only.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:59:47 am by torger »

torger

Oh, there are cameras too. Then I'd like to see a well-integrated tech camera without a bunch of cables. Electronic leaf shutter, or very tight focal plane shutter (still allow for very short flange distances), a battery in the camera to drive the shutter and also to provide settings from tilt/shift so LCC application can be fully automated. The tilt/shift settings should be transfered to the back raw files in the EXIF data of course.

I'd also like to see a tech camera with view camera rail focusing style but with precise integrated rail distance setting measurement (ie what micrometer setting the rail is on) and user-calibratable and a lens plate system that provide information about the lens inserted. This combination allows for a focusing distance screen on the camera, ie similar to pancake camera precision but in a digital window. A small onboard computer with app support so you can have your tilt/doff app inside the camera too would be nice, so when you turn the focusing wheel you see live update on focus distance and far/near dof edges. With these functions and a fast digital back with instant show of shot picture, no need to cock shutter etc you'd have so fast workflow that live view would not be strictly necessary (still would like it, composing in the blind is not great)

Even better would be app support on the digital backs, so you can skip screen on the tech camera and instead have a camera-specific app loaded to your digital back, and it would get all information from the camera and present it on the digital back screen.

If more electronic tech cameras won't happen I'd like to see a worthy replacement of the copal shutter, so we can continue to have a 100% mechanical camera plus a digital back with synch cable. The half-measure with electronic leaf shutter and a bunch of cables on an otherwise mechanical camera is just ugly. It would be nice if the shutter would have a fully round aperture.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:05:53 am by torger »

torger

A better digital back mount would be nice too, something without light leaks and that can be securely fastened by screwing, rather than some sloppy spring-mounted system. With that some standard open programmable camera-to-back electronic interface, which can be used by tech camera makers for better integration (without having to pay a zillion dollars to get a license to use it), possibly including power transfer so you can have only one battery in the system instead of requiring two. An open app interface on the backs would be nice too, so we could see interesting third-party hacks, like "magic lantern" that exists for canon cameras today.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

I would like a pentax 645DII with all the qualities of the 645d and...
- usable live view,
- a slightly larger 50+ mp back,
- the DR of a D800,
- a 8,000 US$ price tag,
- packaged as a standalone back version.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

There is a very good and fairly affordable MF system out there, namely the Rollei. There's also the V Hassy.
I wish someone stuck a back on it those can do 1600 ISO, is square full-frame and stayed affordable.
Kits for 4x5 and 8x10 are also perfectly feasible in a world where one can buy a custom bike.

Edmund

I would like a pentax 645DII with all the qualities of the 645d and...
- usable live view,
- a slightly larger 50+ mp back,
- the DR of a D800,
- a 8,000 US$ price tag,
- packaged as a standalone back version.

Cheers,
Bernard

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

My dream...

3.5 micron pitch CMOS sensor with live view and on chip phase detecting AF support.

Full 645 micron sensor

Standard digital interface for different vendors

Large screen, multiple actual pixel crops for Scheimpflug

Modular concept

Standard bus for electronic view finders

Best regards
Erik
This might seem redundant, but how's about stating what you NEED, and 2ndly, what you WANT to see in the future from MF mfg's?
I'm NOT talking about a camera that can change your client's opinion telepathically when you want it to :D, or one that'll make you a damned fine espresso! No, I'm talking SERIOUS here, working camera ideas.

Please state your intentions of WHY you want these things, and WHAT you'd be doing with them if they were available:

I'll start:

FUJI 6X9(56x86mm) rangefinders(yes, 2 versions, 'normal' and a 'wide' version. Just like the GW/GSW690 series of cameras.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=81592.msg658707#msg658707   (Reply #11)

Why I want it:
I love film, and will continue to shoot it. But having an integrated sensor, MF rangefinder-type camera would just be the 'creme de la creme' for traveling IMO...
What I'd do with it:
I'd personally choose the 90/3.5 lens. I'd travel with it. Keep it on me, just like I do the film versions(6x8III, however).

-Dan
Erik Kaffehr

JV

Affordable (ideally below $10K, max $20K) square FF digital back for the Hy6 capable of doing high ISO.

As far as the camera goes very pleased but multiple focus points would be very nice.  My X-Pro1 has 49 and they focus accurately.

Ken R

I currently have a Phase One IQ160. I would love it to:

1- Be More affordable
2- Have high quality live view with up to pixel to pixel zoom
3- Be a bit smaller / lighter
4- Have better high iso performance with no downsampling, at full 60 mp or at the very least 30 mp.
5- Have better long exposure performance (IQ260 has this)
6- Have dual card slots (It can be one CF and one SD)
7- Have better battery performance
8- Wifi (IQ260 has this)

I also have a Hasselblad H1. I actually like the camera but it would be better with:

1- Weathersealing
2- Lighter but with better exterior finish (a la Canon 1 series)
3- Higher quality LCD and viewfinder display
4- More AF points
5- Smoother/Quieter Shutter

I also have an Arca Swiss RM3Di tech camera. I actually would not change anything on that thing! :) But, Would love if the lenses had an electronic shutter controlled by the back.

I hope someone is reading this that can make these things happen!

TMARK

1.  Digital Mamiya 7.

2.  A DSLR with a real viewfinder and a CFA geared towards skin tones that is reliable, tethers well, has a big buffer, and 4:3 native, FP shutter with leaf shutter option. I know the D800, Pentax and Leica S get close, so does the Phase/Mamiya DF and H5.  But they all lack something.

3.  An updated RZ.  Maybe a smaller digital only body with focus confirm and a better AE finder.

I'll start:

Why I want it:
What I'd do with it:

-Dan

bcooter

Mine is simple, of course probably hard to do.

1.  Make a medium format sensored camera with the same functionality as a Panasonic GH3. with an EVF that works like a OVF, (the GH3 is very close to this).

2.  Give it about 5k in stills on the vertical side a 4k video file with crops that actually range from 2:1 to 4:3.

3.  For stills and video offer a raw file, for stills also a jpeg in parallel with the raw, for video RAW or Prorezz 422, 10 bit minimum, 12 bit preferred.

4.  Multiple EVF from waist level to a moveable finder.

5.  Allow the sensor to rotate on command AND show the rotation in the finder.

6.  Large buffer and SSD card storage that is secure and large.

7.  4 channel sound in, with xlr inputs, sound sampling through 3.5mm headphones.

8.  Optional AA filter that can be removed.

9.  Designed for sensor upgrades, not complete back or module upgrades.

10.  Come in at 10 to 20k U.S., for a working camera including base accessories.

11.  Optional touch screen autofocus that can be mounted or tethered to a card.

12.  Radio transmission of viewfinder recording in stills and motion.

13.  Simple menu system.

14.  Changeable mounts, from standard fast autofocus lenses, to Canon for Tilt Shift.

15.  Sensor larger than 35mm but less that full frame 645 (so multiple lens sets cover the sensor).

16.  Sensor overlap so in camera 5 axis stabilization.

17.  Built in ND filters, base ISO 800.

That does it.

IMO

BC

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I agree on all points...

Best regards
Erik

Mine is simple, of course probably hard to do.

1.  Make a medium format sensored camera with the same functionality as a Panasonic GH3. with an EVF that works like a OVF, (the GH3 is very close to this).

2.  Give it about 5k in stills on the vertical side a 4k video file with crops that actually range from 2:1 to 4:3.

3.  For stills and video offer a raw file, for stills also a jpeg in parallel with the raw, for video RAW or Prorezz 422, 10 bit minimum, 12 bit preferred.

4.  Multiple EVF from waist level to a moveable finder.

5.  Allow the sensor to rotate on command AND show the rotation in the finder.

6.  Large buffer and SSD card storage that is secure and large.

7.  4 channel sound in, with xlr inputs, sound sampling through 3.5mm headphones.

8.  Optional AA filter that can be removed.

9.  Designed for sensor upgrades, not complete back or module upgrades.

10.  Come in at 10 to 20k U.S., for a working camera including base accessories.

11.  Optional touch screen autofocus that can be mounted or tethered to a card.

12.  Radio transmission of viewfinder recording in stills and motion.

13.  Simple menu system.

14.  Changeable mounts, from standard fast autofocus lenses, to Canon for Tilt Shift.

15.  Sensor larger than 35mm but less that full frame 645 (so multiple lens sets cover the sensor).

16.  Sensor overlap so in camera 5 axis stabilization.

17.  Built in ND filters, base ISO 800.

That does it.

IMO

BC

Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

Is that what's meant by Texan Appetite?

Thinking about it, Texas, I really believe a better option would be Jerry Hall, back when she was twenty.

;-)

Rob C

Misirlou

• http://

A Rolleiflex TLR mated to a full 6X6 back. I know most everyone preferred the Planar over the Xenotar, but I have one of each, and prefer the look of the Schneider lens.

Total pipe dream, of course.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up