Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Mod Recommendation: Good Post/Bad Post  (Read 12198 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Forum Mod Recommendation: Good Post/Bad Post
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »

Not being able to simply 'like' a post makes forum seem clunky once you've used FB or G+.
It's a simple and very effective way of acknowledging what someone has said was useful/interesting/informative etc.
Whereas writing a reply to post which may be nowhere near post in question to try and communicate your approval is clumsy and often not worth doing.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Isaac

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 03:51:29 pm »

It's a simple and very effective way of ...

...feeling that you've expressed yourself when you have nothing whatsoever to say, or were just confused or mistaken or...  ;-)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs

jjj

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 04:33:12 pm »

...feeling that you've expressed yourself when you have nothing whatsoever to say, or were just confused or mistaken or...  ;-)
No, it's exactly as I said - It's a simple and very effective way of acknowledging what someone has said was useful/interesting/informative etc.
Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean others also struggle.

Isaac

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 06:35:13 pm »

Saying something again still doesn't make it The Only TruthTM :-)

+1 and Like fill more than one role.

jjj

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 05:32:49 am »

Saying something again still doesn't make it The Only TruthTM :-)
Obviously it is not 'the only truth' because [as usual] you interpret things in your own unique way. But for the rest of us, its meaning is nothing like your cynical view.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 05:52:33 am »

You can hide people so that you don't see their posts. Only takes a few minutes to silence all the annoying culprits.

MarkL

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 08:00:40 am »

This forum is the most civilised place of any online forum I have posted on (especially photog ones).

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 09:52:28 am »

You can hide people so that you don't see their posts. Only takes a few minutes to silence all the annoying culprits.

The point is not to hide bad people (there really aren't any of those here), but to hide bad posts...and more importantly to promote great posts. 
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

stamper

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 10:13:17 am »

The point is not to hide bad people (there really aren't any of those here), but to hide bad posts...and more importantly to promote great posts. 

That is subjective. I am sure there are some who think your original post was bad but you think it is good.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:07 am »

That is subjective. I am sure there are some who think your original post was bad but you think it is good.

YES! Yay!  You finally get it.  Of course that post would be hidden if it was tagged as a bad post by lots of people.  That is the whole point.

In practice, these things aren't really used to censor something people disagree with.  They are used more to hide irrelevant or grossly inflammatory statements.  We are all adults and we understand disagreement--that is how we learn and grow.     
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

jjj

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:58 am »

This forum is the most civilised place of any online forum I have posted on (especially photog ones).
I find FB far, far more civilised. But then I don't befriend lunatics.  ;D
Only one or two percent are people I've not met in the real world and I befriended them because we had mutual friends so I had interacted a fair bit with them online first and got on.

Somehow I don't think any of my friends will be appearing on this FB page. Which is a real insight into a whole other world, sometimes scary, sometimes jaw-droppingly bad and sometimes plain bonkers.

Manoli

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 10:50:08 am »

Of course that post would be hidden if it was tagged as a bad post by lots of people.  That is the whole point.     
Majority rule, with neither constitution nor law enforcement. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

In practice, these things aren't really used to censor something people disagree with.  They are used more to hide irrelevant or grossly inflammatory statements.    
Report to moderator - they can ban as they see fit, and they do.

We are all adults and we understand disagreement--that is how we learn and grow.     
Well, no. I would suggest that we learn by well reasoned debate and discussion; not necessarily by the majority view.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 11:21:02 am »

Getting away from the mob rule is the very reason I am here.

jeremyrh

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 01:04:32 pm »

This sort of voting can end up being like an online lynch mob, or at best a high school clique, with the in-crowd "like"ing each others posts and voting down the odd-balls. Personally I don't want to take part in a forum like that.

daws

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 02:00:46 pm »

This sort of voting can end up being like an online lynch mob, or at best a high school clique, with the in-crowd "like"ing each others posts and voting down the odd-balls.

Exactly right. The various flavors of "like/dislike" forum voting features are no more informative than school popularity contests -- they don't tell you anything about the candidate. Even if the goals set forth in the Opening Post of this thread were needed on this forum (which I and others have argued they are not), such forum features are incapable of accomplishing those goals.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 08:49:33 pm »

Did not DP Review have the same experiment with thumbs up/down recently? The thumbs-down button disappeared quicker than you can say "bad idea." Even "thumbs up" is rarely used.

mezzoduomo

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 10:01:53 pm »

An interesting peek into the range of personality, I suppose.  Come upon something mundane and pre-existing, with an established structure and form (this forum, your bank's website, the local school board, the placement of the benches in the town square, the trash pickup schedule, the layout of your cell phone statement, etc., etc.) and set out to change it.

Noting some 'flaw' or 'deficiency', some folks just shrug or move on, others feel compelled to make suggestions, lobby for change, write a strongly-worded letter, etc.

My dad was the former, my mom the latter.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 10:21:23 pm »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

Rand47

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 07:34:50 pm »

How does one do this?  I've seen it on other BBS but wasn't aware of this feature on LuLa forum?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up