Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on Fujifilm 55-200 availability  (Read 8671 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Question on Fujifilm 55-200 availability
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:22:42 am »

I have been on several waiting lists for over 2 months on this lens and just yesterday, I received a strange e-mail from BH stating:

"I can order this lens now as only a special order"  this means that it will not be returnable unless there is a problem with the lens, and I still can't exchange it for another Fuji lens.  This not the normal policy for B&H so I am curious if this particular lens is no longer going to be manufactured, and if if a newer version is coming out.  I was concerned by B&H's wording that I could not return it unless damaged, and I didn't want purchase it if something new is just around the corner. 

When I called B&H, they were as usual pretty vague, the rep. I spoke to first told me I was totally wrong, then I forwarded him the B&H email and then he told me "well if you order it from me today I can make sure it's only a backorder not a special order"  I choose not order it for now.

This lens has received great reviews from both end users and "reviewers" but has been out of the delivery channel now for quite a while.

The only ones I can find for sale are either U.S. used for full list (not interested) or Japan versions with only Japan warranty, again not interested.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Question on Fujifilm 55-200 availability
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:56:13 am »

Who knows what B&H is doing, I have seen them do this before. Adorama, where I got mine from, just says backordered. I suspect it is because B&H does not have a delivery date. They sold out quickly and maybe it took Fuji by surprise with the popularity. I suspect that overtime it will be more available. I have in situations like this I will place an order and the delivery will be a lot quicker than if you wait for one to be in stock as they tend to ship out whatever is pre-ordered and it may not make the website for inventory. When the Canon 1DmIV was first released there was the same situation, however I called B&H and told them I wanted one and placed my order and I had it in a couple of days, but they never appeared "in stock" on their website.

I suspect it is a production lack of sufficient initial volume that is the problem, it is a wonderful lens.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:44:55 pm »

Paul,
Too bad about that. Seems odd B&H would do something like that.

I ordered mine from a local shop way back when they first were announced. I think I got it back in mid July and it took some waiting to get it then. I cannot imagine what the hold up is this late in the game. Did Fuji miscalculate the demand? Or maybe there are manufacturing problems I do not know. But I can tell you it is a nice lens and worth the wait for (if you have a use for such a lens). I hope you get one soon.
Warren

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:28:01 am »

B&H got some in this past weekend and I was able to get one ordered.  Just got the lens so far excellent.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 10:39:10 am »

Great Paul, it is a nice lens I am sure you will enjoy it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 11:16:17 pm »

It was in stock on amazon few days ago, I finally pulled the plug and got it.
I almost have second thoughts (as I occasionally have with the Fuji system in general) because the thing is quite big. I knew from the others that is big, but until you have in hand you don't fully realize it. It's almost as big as my Nikon 70-300 which covers full frame. The problem is the grip on the Fuji is much smaller. This lens will require the grip from RRS that I have which improves the grip (but not the handling).

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 09:33:46 am »

The grip might help, I did not like it, the thing that made the big difference for me in handling was using the Thumbs Up, that made it a lot more controllable for me. But a lot of people like the grip.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 09:56:14 am »

Alan:

I had looked at the RRS grip, L bracket but have not yet made the investment.  What is the thumbs up? 

So far the 55-200 has been a positive experience for me.   
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 02:20:24 pm »

Paul,

Here is a link, it is a thumb rest that sits in the flash socket

http://www.matchtechnical.com/Pages/ThumbsUpEP7S.aspx

There are lots of knock offs on ebay and same goes with the l-bracket and grip. I stayed with the original manufacturers.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 06:00:47 pm »

Alan,

Once again, thanks for the link and sharing your knowledge.  I had not heard of this, and it looks like a very good solution indeed.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 11:52:15 am »

I have the full RRS grip + L-plate.
It does improve the strength of the grip and you can hold you camera more securely if that's the only thing that you do. However it doesn't improve the handling as it changes the position of your finger and some controls are more difficult/awkward to reach and use. After few hours of excitement I stopped using it. I use the L-plate when I know I'll use the tripod, otherwise I got used to use it as is with most lenses (18-55, 14, 35, 60).
Now with the 55-200 holding the camera (X-E1) with one hand becomes trickier and not that secure. For shooting it's ok as I will hold the the lens with the left hand and it's no big deal, but if you move around or want to grab a quick shot it is difficult. That's why when I know I'll use mostly the 55-200 I will try the full grip again.

I'm not sure that thumbs think would be better handling wise.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 12:13:44 pm »

I have the full RRS grip + L-plate.
It does improve the strength of the grip and you can hold you camera more securely if that's the only thing that you do. However it doesn't improve the handling as it changes the position of your finger and some controls are more difficult/awkward to reach and use. After few hours of excitement I stopped using it. I use the L-plate when I know I'll use the tripod, otherwise I got used to use it as is with most lenses (18-55, 14, 35, 60).
Now with the 55-200 holding the camera (X-E1) with one hand becomes trickier and not that secure. For shooting it's ok as I will hold the the lens with the left hand and it's no big deal, but if you move around or want to grab a quick shot it is difficult. That's why when I know I'll use mostly the 55-200 I will try the full grip again.

I'm not sure that thumbs think would be better handling wise.

I had the same reaction with the grip, it shifts my hand position too much. The thumbs up moves my hand back to the original position and also makes for a much better grip, I have more control one handed and I find I can also hold the camera much steadier. It also stops me from hitting the "q" button as much as I used before it. I also tried both the grip and the thumbs up and found that to be too awkward. I am very happy with the extra control it gives me.  Everyone will be different but if you can try one out I think you might find you will like the control.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up