Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do Phaase One files work with Lightroom/Photoshop?  (Read 1408 times)

MikeDitz

Do Phaase One files work with Lightroom/Photoshop?
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:18:07 am »

I am renting a Phase One back for a shoot on Saturday, what software works with Phase One files? The rental  guy was a little vague about that question.
Do I need Capture One, I don;t really want to buy another program for a one time shoot.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Do Phaase One files work with Lightroom/Photoshop?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:33:00 am »

I am renting a Phase One back for a shoot on Saturday, what software works with Phase One files? The rental  guy was a little vague about that question.
Do I need Capture One, I don;t really want to buy another program for a one time shoot.

Mike -

You'll want/need Capture One, but you don't have to buy it. Just download the latest version, and when installing it, choose Capture One DB (rather than Pro or Express modes). You can also install as a trial, but if you're using a Phase One (or Leaf) digital back, DB mode is free, can be used without registration on as many computers as you want, and has identical features to C1 Pro (except for working with non Phase One/Leaf products). Assuming this is a tethered operation - in that case, yes, C1 is essential. If not, then depending on which digital back you are using, you could use Lightroom, etc, but your best bet even then, generally speaking, will be to use C1 Pro.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:56:56 am »

You can open and work Phase One files in 4.x of  LR or CS6 ACR if you are not shooting a IQ2.  If you are working with a DF or DF+ and are not going to shoot a LCC then you should have no problem.  If you are working tethered to one of these cameras, then as mentioned Capture One will be necessary.  To process raw files from any Phase One, you can use LR, 4.x or higher (3.x on older backs like P45+) or ACR.  

Note if you are renting a P45+ and wanting long exposures, I would stay with Capture One as I believe it has the best noise to detail algorithms for processing out a long exposure from a P45+.  

Most times I start in Capture One as with vr 7 the Phase files seem to just have a much better look than output from LR.  

You did not mention the back being rented.  If you are renting an IQ2, i.e. 260, 280, then so far I have not been able to open the 260 files in LR 4, and I have not upgraded to LR5 yet so I don't know if they work there.  However all older backs will work in 4.x   Just checked, it takes LR 5.2 to work with 260 files, there is no mention in the RC notes about 280 files.

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:58:43 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

MikeDitz

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 01:29:02 pm »

Thanks for the info, I am renting the P65+H back. I hope to shoot tethered, but that sometimes tethering is sketchy.

I will download the Capture One DB, I downloaded a trial version about 2 or 3 months ago, opened it a couple times, never really used it and now the trial period is over....  :-\

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:32:26 pm »

If you're tethering a 65+ it should be absolutely rock solid.

If its not you have some problem that can be fixed (bad cable, bad computer port) etc. if you're working with a good rental house you should have the option of testing everything at their place before your shoot and having them resolve any issues that show up.

Phase tethering is solid.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:52:56 pm »

Hi,

I am a long time LR user, but started shooting with a P45+ recently. I certainly have a bias tpwards LR, as it is a program that perfectly fits my needs, want and aspirations.

What I would suggest that LR works perfectly well with the P45+.  Default rendition maybe better on Capture One, but both programs can be tweaked a lot, so it is hard to say which one is better.

I made a few long exposures recently, and what I see confirms my views. Not a lot of difference, C1 does more aggressive noice reduction.

C1 also gives a different standard tone curve, especially with 'film curve', but once you balance out the subject I would say that it is not a lot between he two products.

Best regards
Erik

You can open and work Phase One files in 4.x of  LR or CS6 ACR if you are not shooting a IQ2.  If you are working with a DF or DF+ and are not going to shoot a LCC then you should have no problem.  If you are working tethered to one of these cameras, then as mentioned Capture One will be necessary.  To process raw files from any Phase One, you can use LR, 4.x or higher (3.x on older backs like P45+) or ACR.  

Note if you are renting a P45+ and wanting long exposures, I would stay with Capture One as I believe it has the best noise to detail algorithms for processing out a long exposure from a P45+.  

Most times I start in Capture One as with vr 7 the Phase files seem to just have a much better look than output from LR.  

You did not mention the back being rented.  If you are renting an IQ2, i.e. 260, 280, then so far I have not been able to open the 260 files in LR 4, and I have not upgraded to LR5 yet so I don't know if they work there.  However all older backs will work in 4.x   Just checked, it takes LR 5.2 to work with 260 files, there is no mention in the RC notes about 280 files.

Paul Caldwell

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up