Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Long time forum member starts dealership for Rolleiflex products in the US  (Read 10791 times)

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH

Hi everybody,

Today I'm happy to make a little announcement that could especially be interesting for all the US customers out there. Eric Hiss, a long time friend of our company and products, and user of this forum decided to partner up with us and build a long term business-relationship.

So from now on Eric will take presence as a dealer for all  products made by DHW for every interested customer. With his huge experience in our products he can support you in your purchase decision process as well as in later troubleshooting and any warranty/service issues.

You can visit his web presence and online shop at www.rolleiflex.us.  He will happily try to help you with anything about our products.  And of course you can keep contacting DHW directly via mail or phone too.

Warm regards,

Johannes

peterv

• facebook

Good news for a very interesting MF system. Congratulations and good luck!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

That is great news! Lot of good stuff was coming from Eric. Well, I mean Eric Hiss.

Best regards
Erik

Hi everybody,

Today I'm happy to make a little announcement that could especially be interesting for all the US customers out there. Eric Hiss, a long time friend of our company and products, and user of this forum decided to partner up with us and build a long term business-relationship.

So from now on Eric will take presence as a dealer for all  products made by DHW for every interested customer. With his huge experience in our products he can support you in your purchase decision process as well as in later troubleshooting and any warranty/service issues.

You can visit his web presence and online shop at www.rolleiflex.us.  He will happily try to help you with anything about our products.  And of course you can keep contacting DHW directly via mail or phone too.

Warm regards,

Johannes

Erik Kaffehr

JoeKitchen

Very nice to see this system coming to the USA. If I were to buy an handheld camera, it would be the Hy6.  If only Phase made there back with the Hy6 mount.  
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

design_freak

Congratulations!!  great news  :)
Best regards,
DF

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I think Leaf makes backs for Hy6. What I would consider is wide angles, as all digital backs are 645 or smaller. So I would check into wide angle lens availability before comitting to a 6x6 camera. Personally I have a Hasselblad V with 40mm as shortest lens, but plan on going technical camera (Hartblei) in the future.

Best regards
Erik

Very nice to see this system coming to the USA. If I were to buy an handheld camera, it would be the Hy6.  If only Phase made there back with the Hy6 mount.  
Erik Kaffehr

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

More options are always good! Especially when they are provided through someone that I know (mostly from the forums) and trust/respect!

The Hy6 supports film.

On the Team Phase One side your options for digital backs are:
- Pre-owned Leaf AFI backs based on the Aptus and Aptus-II generations
- New or pre-owned Leaf AFI backs based on the Aptus-II 10 and Aptus-II 12
- New Credo* backs (similar to a Phase One IQ but with a different interface, color response, and feature set)

Each of those options has pros and cons. Notably the Credo adds a lot of operational speed, and a significantly nicer (IMO) user interface, but lacks the articulating LCD and internally rotating sensor of the previous Leaf AFI backs. We'd be glad to chat with anyone about the various pros and cons, and where possible, arrange demonstrations/testing.

*I don't mark "pre-owned" as an option here because as a practical there aren't many of these out there and they've almost all gone to Hy6 fanatics who are very unlikely to sell their back.

If a Sinar expert could chime in with the options they provided/provide that would be a great value to the thread I think.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:12:55 am by Doug Peterson »

ondebanks

Great news - I wish Eric & DHW every success.

Ray

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com

+1

Great news - I wish Eric & DHW every success.

Ray

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/

More options are always good! Especially when they are provided through someone that I know (mostly from the forums) and trust/respect!

The Hy6 supports film.

On the Team Phase One side your options for digital backs are:
- Pre-owned Leaf AFI backs based on the Aptus and Aptus-II generations
- New or pre-owned Leaf AFI backs based on the Aptus-II 10 and Aptus-II 12
- New Credo* backs (similar to a Phase One IQ but with a different interface, color response, and feature set)

Each of those options has pros and cons. Notably the Credo adds a lot of operational speed, and a significantly nicer (IMO) user interface, but lacks the articulating LCD and internally rotating sensor of the previous Leaf AFI backs. We'd be glad to chat with anyone about the various pros and cons, and where possible, arrange demonstrations/testing.

*I don't mark "pre-owned" as an option here because as a practical there aren't many of these out there and they've almost all gone to Hy6 fanatics who are very unlikely to sell their back.

If a Sinar expert could chime in with the options they provided/provide that would be a great value to the thread I think.

In addition to being a long time provider of Leaf AFi-versioned Aptus-II and Credo digital backs, Capture Integration is also a dealer for Sinar products as well. Sinar made HY6 adapters for the eSprit 65 (I think, was never available in the USA) the eMotion 54/75 and eVolution 75H/86H digital backs (also for Sinarback 54M). Currently only the eVolution 75H and 86H are current products, you may find an eMotion 54 or 75 floating around from time to time.

But regardless whether current or legacy, the Sinar digital backs at this time are only compatible with the version 1 HY6, which are still available, not the Mod 2 camera.

Since the 75H and 86H are tethered only operation (no CF Card slot or LCD screen), their application is primarily in the studio. The HY6 makes an excellent platform for the multi-shot capture capabilities of these models, as it allows for mirror control and manual/automatic focusing from the software.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:45:15 am by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

The zombies have been resurrected! If someone can now revive the Plaubel Makina, or the Fuji 120 rangefinders  with a cheap digital back maybe we can have zombies vs vampires ...

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

DanielStone

The zombies have been resurrected! If someone can now revive the Plaubel Makina, or the Fuji 120 rangefinders  with a cheap digital back maybe we can have zombies vs vampires ...

Edmund

I'm imagining it now:

2 different models:
•GW690'D': 90/3.5 lens(fixed)
•GSW690'D': 65mm 5.6 lens (fixed)

Features:
•40mp 56x86mm X-trans sensor(iso 100-6400)
•6x9(2:3,native), 6x8(3:4), 6x7(4:5), 6x6(1:1), crop modes(in-sensor, similar to the X-Pro/XE-1 models)
•3" hi-def display on the back
•VERY FEW buttons(keep it simple: WB, ISO, PLAY, DELETE, etc..) SIMPLE
•same integrated bubble level(just like film predecessors)
•same mechanical leaf-shutter(T-1/500, just like film predecessors, whole stop increments)
•keep film winding crank(to cock shutter, like on film predecessors)
•takes SD/SDHC cards(2 of them, for redundancy in the field, or for RAW+Jpeg, etc.)

~no movie mode
~no live view
~no EVF/confuddled display, just the image frame and the r/f window

basically:  BASIC, just like Fuji made the film cameras
               TOUGH, they can take a beating
               WEATHERPROOF(like, or better than 645D), can work in -20C(-5F) to +45C(113F) without issue.
               INEXPENSIVE(relatively): $11,999USD (GW690D), $12,999 (GSW690D)
               3yr warranty

I'd bet that they'd sell like hotcakes!

-Dan

Lacunapratum

You'd say that until you shoot with those lenses. 

DanielStone

You'd say that until you shoot with those lenses.  

I have, and I've done drum scans(4000dpi) of chromes and negs, and they're spectacularly sharp, all the way stopped down to F/22...
Ya, they're not the "cutting edge" of latest-tech optical technology, but for 40mp(easily less resolution than a well done 6x7 shot & drum scanned frame), I think they'd be more than enough.

A buddy of mind stopped shooting 4x5 after trying them, he now has both models(GS/GSW) in his bag, and hikes/travels with them regularly.
I shoot a GX680 and 5x7 for the majority of my stuff, then drum scan. I have no complaints on prints up to 30x40(biggest I've ever taken a print, but only a few times).

-Dan

EDIT/ADD: I'm interested in a FAT, FAT, FAT (hence "only" 40mp) pixel camera. One that is SPECTACULAR @ asa 800, EVEN 1600 it's great. A light, compact package that packs lots of punch.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:27:11 am by DanielStone »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the words of encouragement.  Definitely appreciated!  I've been pretty much absent from the forums while I get all the stuff up on my website and will be working hard on it for a few more weeks probably.  Miss the forums so will be back soon!

But I'm with Daniel on the idea of a FAT big pixel, big footprint sensor.  Of course I'd like to see a 56mm x 56mm square myself!

Eric
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:45:40 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Gigi

• some work

Congrats to Eric and DHW. Having been a long time Rollei friend of Eric's I've learned a great deal from him, and can speak to his personal dedication to this endeavor, and to the system. If you are considering the Hy6, having someone as knowledgeable about Eric is a plus.

Also, thanks to Doug and Steve for graciously welcoming a new player to the table.

As a longterm Hy6 and Rollei user, its a remarkably flexible and precise system, and now its got strong local support. Best of luck to Eric.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:47:38 pm by Geoffreyg »
Geoff

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/

Congrats to Eric and DHW. Having been a long time Rollei friend of Eric's I've learned a great deal from him, and can speak to his personal dedication to this endeavor, and to the system. If you are considering the Hy6, having someone as knowledgeable about Eric is a plus.

Also, thanks to Doug and Steve for graciously welcoming a new player to the table.

Best of luck to Eric in this - as a longterm Hy6 and Rollei user, its a remarkably flexible and precise system, and its good its now got strong local support. 

Capture Integration absolutely and enthusiastically welcomes Eric and DHW to the USA. There's certainly no conflict. if Eric succeeds in raising the profile of the HY6 platform in the USA, then naturally it enhances the opportunity for Capture Integration to provide and support Leaf Aptus-II and Credo digital back solutions for it.

I've personally been involved with HY6/AFi solutions going back to the original USA launch in 2006/2007 (ill-fated though it was). Despite the lack of USA-based HY6 distribution in recent years, CI has continued to sell and support digital back solutions from Sinar and Leaf for the platform and will continue to do so.

If this continues to grow the toe hold DHW has in the world for the HY6 platform, we're all for it. We'll do anything we can do to help Eric forward that objective.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

JoeKitchen

So I have been doing some quick research on this camera now that there is a USA dealer.  I have a few questions. 

First, let me say that I would not be really interested in using this system professionally since I currently shoot architecture with an RM3Di and P45+.  However, I think it would be nice to have an handheld option for quick shots and such (maybe client portraits as well).  And what I really like about this system is the true waist high viewfinder.  (Being an AP, I am always conscience of the perspective and usually shoot people at waist or a little higher level.  With a Canon/Nikon, Mamiya, or Hassy, you need to hunch over, which gets old really damn fast.) 

After doing some researching I found that the back does not actually attach to the camera, but a plate that mounts to the camera.  So in theory, you could use a Phase back on the Hy6 if there was a plate made (even if Phase continues to not "buy" into the system and offer a solution).  Is this true? 

If so, since Leaf (owned by Phase) is not working with H&F anymore, would it be safe to assume that H&F will start making these plates?  IMO, I feel that it would be the only way to foster further growth of the brand.   

Like I said, I have no intention of buying this anytime soon, but if I wanted a SLR system to go with my back, I feel this would be the one I would most enjoy. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA

Hi Joe,
The current backs from Leaf (Credo and AFi-ii)  actually just snap into the camera. It's a quick modular design, and you can go back and forth between film quickly and easily. It is true that some of the first Sinar back solutions had adapter plates and rotating adapters but this is not how most are working now.    Same for the finders - you can change between WLF and one of the prisms in a snap.  The prisms also can be placed down at any angle to the camera which allows you to be able to still have a view for composing and focusing even if the camera is up against a wall or something.

I should mention that DHW has generously supplied me with a demo Hy6 Mod2 kit.   I am working on an easy way to get this into people's hands that can't make it to San Francisco but would like to try it out. 
Rolleiflex USA

jeanlucco

Best news of the week for me!! Congrat Eric and good luck to the best Ambassador of Schneider and Rollei. Ciao
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up