Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: River Dawn  (Read 828 times)

garyhill

• Gary Hill Landscape Photography
River Dawn
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:47 pm »

This image is stitched from approx 8 photos and shows the pre-dawn glow over the river near to where I live. I welcome any comments or suggestions for improvement. I am particularly interested if people find the image too dark.

Cheers,

Gary

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: River Dawn
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:39:16 pm »

Very pleasant, Gary.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:44:22 pm »

The signature and the title intrude on the illusion (or present a competing illusion), and intrude on the otherwise carefully wrought light and place. 

It is not too dark, imho -- there is ample detail to feed the eyes.  IME, it's not "dark" that people don't like -- it's lack of "see-ability".

fredbruckman

• Fred Bruckman Artistphotographer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:07:02 pm »

I think this is a beautiful image. It is not to dark. You could create a lighter version that might be just as beautiful. I don't want to cause a controversy, but in this day and age I don't see any reason not to create multiple versions of an image when it is appropriate.

I agree with Kirby that the title and copyright are distracting. I would try a smaller font and less obtrusive (darker) color.

Just my two cents worth.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:09:22 pm by fredbruckman »

garyhill

• Gary Hill Landscape Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:56 pm »

Thank you for the comments and feedback. The border and title are part of my standard workflow for making small 4"x6" prints and the text needs to be that big to make it readbable. I accept it is a bit distracting for this size digital file. I will get around to creating a new PS action one day for posting images to these forums.

Cheers,

Gary

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 07:06:14 am »

Thank you for the comments and feedback. The border and title are part of my standard workflow for making small 4"x6" prints and the text needs to be that big to make it readbable. I accept it is a bit distracting for this size digital file. I will get around to creating a new PS action one day for posting images to these forums.

Cheers,

Gary
Hi Gary.  To me, it's not the size or brightness of the text that intrudes, it's the lack of separation between the border and the picture -- a hazard of using a flat dark border with a dark picture. 

Web presentation critique aside -- I like the picture.  I like the light in it, and I imagine it would look compelling printed, especially large enough to allow the viewer to share the illusory space.
Pages: [1]   Go Up