Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Continental Divide  (Read 6279 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Continental Divide
« on: August 27, 2013, 12:52:53 pm »

My American contacts on LinkedIn vs. European ones.

Yes, I cherry-picked for emphasis, and yes, there are opposite examples on both sides, but the gist remains.

Manoli

Re: Continental Divide
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:21:54 pm »

And the gist is ... ?

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:24:58 pm »

You have more female contacts in the USA.

Ah, and they are all smiling too - which is too say us Europeans are a miserable bunch - or just take business more seriously.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 01:47:49 pm »

And the gist is ... ?

Seriously?

Ok, if the visual clues above were not enough, I'll give you another one:  ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:55:21 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:42:47 pm »

For a brief moment I though you had Mr Putin there, in the centre, European.

But that also told me I must be mistaken - he'd never be found in the middle-ground.

Regarding LinkedIn: someone got me to get involved, and I now get regular updates from other photographers doing weddings and stuff. Why would they want to have me know that? It's become another thing I have to delete.

;-)

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 02:46:30 pm »

For a brief moment I though you had Mr Putin there, in the centre, European...

You were close, the guy is Russian. In the Team Europe, I have three Russians, two Poles, and one Dutch, French, Serb, Greek each.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:21:12 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 11:18:39 pm »

I don't understand the 99% of corporate people that include a real picture of themselves in their Linkedin profile... and even less so those using a crappy one.

Most of them are in positions for which looks is totally irrelevant and they are either not attractive enough to make this an asset... or too attractive which makes me feel they are trying to sell appearance over skills.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:13:51 am »

I don't understand the 99% of corporate people that include a real picture of themselves in their Linkedin profile... and even less so those using a crappy one.

Most of them are in positions for which looks is totally irrelevant and they are either not attractive enough to make this an asset... or too attractive which makes me feel they are trying to sell appearance over skills.

Cheers,
Bernard

1. You really believe this?

2. This conflicts with your first suggestion that it doesn't matter, that looks don't count... I think that in all human situations they most certainly do, including where two people with the same skills seek the same job opportunity or attempt to sell the same product. I think we'd all rather be surrounded by attractive people than the other type.

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:18:13 am by Rob C »

Manoli

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 06:11:14 am »

Seriously?

Well thank you for that, Slobodan !

Just wasn't sure, if, on this most serious of photographic web forums, we were digressing by playing 'spot-the difference' or there was indeed a hidden quintessence in your posting …

There is a cultural divide in that it seems 'de rigeur' for Americans to have a smiling identity photo come-what-may. Guess it stems from the 'don't trust him/her unless you can see the white in their eyes .. '  On the other side of the pond, however, they take a more reserved approach. In fact HM Passport Office (UK) lists, among 18 other requirements, the following:

facing forward and looking straight at the camera
with a neutral expression and your mouth closed ( no grinning, smiling, frowning or raised eyebrows )
with eyes open, visible and free from reflection or glare from glasses
no shadows in the picture
no red-eye

The only conclusion I draw, Slobodan, is that all your contacts, on both sides of the pond,  could do with some of your photographic tuition …

that looks don't count... I think that in all human situations they most certainly do, including where two people with the same skills seek the same job opportunity or attempt to sell the same product. I think we'd all rather be surrounded by attractive people than the other type.

Well Rob, sometimes. I think that if one was confronted by an all-smiling Cary Grant, George Clooney or Pamela Anderson look-alike trying to sell, for example, home insurance - it would probably be advisable to pay the closest of attention to the small print ...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:16:44 am by Manoli »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 07:07:45 am »

1. You really believe this?

2. This conflicts with your first suggestion that it doesn't matter, that looks don't count... I think that in all human situations they most certainly do, including where two people with the same skills seek the same job opportunity or attempt to sell the same product. I think we'd all rather be surrounded by attractive people than the other type.

Yes, I really believe that looks doesn't count in most corporate positions, those very positions that typical Linkedin users focus on.

I have worked with very good looking idiots and very bright people with below average looks... and will always decide to pick the skilled person. I should stress that skills includes communication skills that, also, are not related to static looks in my view.

So, unless you are willing to apply for positions managed by other idiots, you should assume that your looks won't be a factor in their decision to hire you.

So in such a context, I find it counterproductive to post a picture on a Linkedin profile.

As a side note, this is especially true if you are interested in jobs in the defense sector because their have your picture already.

Cheers,
Bernard

mezzoduomo

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 08:13:28 am »

Yes, I really believe that looks doesn't count in most corporate positions....

This has been studied many times by social scientists, and it's been repeatedly documented that cute children get better grades for identical work, (as do children with popular names, BTW) hot chicks get jobs well above their skills and experience, taller and classicly handsome salesman close more business, etc., etc. This fact, on average, is beyond all debate, despite individual exceptions.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 09:45:34 am »

In fact HM Passport Office (UK) lists, among 18 other requirements, the following:

1.  facing forward and looking straight at the camera
with a neutral expression and your mouth closed ( no grinning, smiling, frowning or raised eyebrows )
with eyes open, visible and free from reflection or glare from glasses
no shadows in the picture
no red-eye

2.  Well Rob, sometimes. I think that if one was confronted by an all-smiling Cary Grant, George Clooney or Pamela Anderson look-alike trying to sell, for example, home insurance - it would probably be advisable to pay the closest of attention to the small print ...

1.  Absolutely correct; I’ve just downloaded my own application forms for a new one. However, you forgot to mention that they also prohibit any Psing and insist on colour. And they stipulate photographic paper, on the mad assumption that any local passport snapper still uses wet processes. I do hope they accept glossy HP stuff!

On the bright side: it gives me an opportunity to use my new background system, installed months ago (could be years; time means nothing anymore), but that has never seen a serious image yet. I hope that I do myself justice – shall feel naked without either cap or bandana.

WTF, I’ll blow their minds anyhow.

2.  But that’s the whole point of good looks: it makes the fine print impossible to read unless you want to look less than cool, and confronted with the next best thing you ever saw, who wants to feel that? Take your pick of interpretation – I did my best to avoid confusion.

;-)

Rob C

Manoli

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 06:15:00 am »

On the bright side: it gives me an opportunity to use my new background system,

Well, you're right Rob. I gave them a watered down version!

On a marginally more serious note, if you can honestly say that about HM's government, a word of warning regarding your new backdrop – the background colour has to be either light grey or plain cream ! (what is 'plain' cream – is there any other type of cream ?)

I had the misfortune to submit, in person, photographs with a white background. Jeeez, I got interrogated, almost arrested,  but ended up by getting my own back when I asked them, with a straight face, for a discount on the exorbitant fee because I was paying cash. Suffice it to say that they didn't have that inimitable Scottish sense of humour . You can imagine the rest.

-------

Rob,
Just noticed an additional requirement : 'without anything covering the face' . Reckon it's a straight 50-50 bet whether they'll accept the beard ! 'Merde', as the French say ...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:31:06 am by Manoli »

Manoli

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 06:17:37 am »

This fact, on average, is beyond all debate, despite individual exceptions.

Absolutely bleedin' bloody marvellous – a gem !
A fact is an incontrovertible truth;  there is nothing average about it and there are no individual exceptions.

hot chicks get jobs well above their skills and experience ...

Now, didn't Mummy fully explain the birds and the bees to you ?
Probably safe to say that your criteria for a heart surgeon would be different to your priorities for, say, an 'Anna Nicole Smith' type.

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 10:07:44 am »

Well, you're right Rob. I gave them a watered down version!

On a marginally more serious note, if you can honestly say that about HM's government, a word of warning regarding your new backdrop – the background colour has to be either light grey or plain cream ! (what is 'plain' cream – is there any other type of cream ?)

I had the misfortune to submit, in person, photographs with a white background. Jeeez, I got interrogated, almost arrested,  but ended up by getting my own back when I asked them, with a straight face, for a discount on the exorbitant fee because I was paying cash. Suffice it to say that they didn't have that inimitable Scottish sense of humour . You can imagine the rest.

-------

Rob,
Just noticed an additional requirement : 'without anything covering the face' . Reckon it's a straight 50-50 bet whether they'll accept the beard ! 'Merde', as the French say ...

Aha! I've got them on precedent: the passport they'll be replacing (optimism!) is graced with a picture sporting a beard! Well, not that the picture has a beard, but the person in the picture - yours truly - sports said beard. It can become complex if one isn't careful. At least I won't need the assistance/inconvenience of having a bank manager countersign the pix: I'm still as beautiful and recognizable as ever, and so I don't have to prove I'm who I think I am all over again. On the other hand, the beard I had ten years ago can't be the same beard I have now: it must be landfill somewhere. But the one I have now is indeed a clever reconstructuon of the one I had then.

I almost choked on my soup today: looking at the screen up in the corner of the bar, I saw an item stating that young Tommy Cruise has enlisted the Scientologists to arrange an audition for the finding of his next ‘partner’!

Seems they’ve collectively picked out a blonde Danish bimbo… imagine not having the balls to pick your own by yourself from a local pool like L.A.! (Of course, he may have already swum with all the fish - or should that be mammals? – and found them all wanting: wanting this, wanting that…) These rich guys beggar belief. Naturally, there’s always the danger that it’s not true, just Spanish media losing something in the translation. Or finding something – much more likely.

He’ll never find another Penelope. Just like myself and the traded film ‘blads: bad career decision dumping what works. Not to be outdone, I note that the Douglas clan is contesting the mating game publicity stakes too. It’s all falling down… sorry.

I feel rather pleased with myself right now; as I was penning this missive, I also managed to boil some cauliflower, and the floret that I tested tasted rather nice, if boiling hot. Not enough salt, and I did forget the spices, but there you go: ¡Mas que nada! Later, with lots of olive oil, a tiny drop of apple vinegar from Germany, more salt and black pepper, it’ll be fabulous! I might even text it off for the entire world to see. At least, it’ll be right colour of background for a passport snap.

;-)

Rob C

mezzoduomo

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 10:24:06 am »

Absolutely bleedin' bloody marvellous – a gem !
A fact is an incontrovertible truth;  there is nothing average about it and there are no individual exceptions.

Now, didn't Mummy fully explain the birds and the bees to you ?
Probably safe to say that your criteria for a heart surgeon would be different to your priorities for, say, an 'Anna Nicole Smith' type.

Good God! I hope I can recover.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 10:33:38 am »

Probably not, if indeed Anna was the surgeon ;D

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 10:35:26 am »

Depends on the surgeon and her qualifications.

But tread with care: these posts could well attract outrage and censorship! There are people watching and looking for buttons...

Rob C

BJL

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 02:23:37 pm »

Slobodan,
    so judging from your avatar, you are American, right?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:29:55 pm by BJL »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 08:28:00 pm »

Slobodan,
    so judging from your avatar, you are American, right?

Just blending in... just blending in ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up