Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony puts E-mount in SLR Form Factor  (Read 5852 times)

RFPhotography

Sony puts E-mount in SLR Form Factor
« on: August 27, 2013, 07:13:34 am »

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/27/sony-a3000-review-an-slr-like-camera-with-the-heart-of-an-nex

They also introduced a new Nex 5 and a new Zeiss lens.

Sony's doing some interesting things.

hjulenissen

Re: Sony puts E-mount in SLR Form Factor
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 08:41:35 am »

Sony's doing some interesting things.
Seems to me that they are doing "everything" just to see what catches on.

-h

RFPhotography

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 08:56:25 am »

Seems to me that they are doing "everything" just to see what catches on.

-h

That could be another way to look at it.  ;D 

BJL

Non-compact yet mirrorless, but cheap and comfortingly familiar-looking
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:38 am »

The Sony a3000 seems to confirm the idea that in some markets (like the USA), many casual camera buyers wanting to upgrade from a phone or small-sensor compact  to a "more serious" camera want it to look "professional", meaning it must resemble an SLR even if there is no good ergonomic reason for that.

To be optimistic, if the a3000 can show more first-time system camera buyers that a budget-priced "EVF camera" like this has some solid advantages over similarly-priced DSLRs with their small, dimmish penta-mirror OVFs, it might help the move away from using reflex mirror OVFs except in the higher level SLRs where they still have some solid advantages.

I wonder if the price pressure will move Canon and Nikon to start offering interchangeable lens cameras with EVFs and SLR-sized sensors, or Olympus to add some lower-priced members of its OMD family. Panasonic and Samsung are already getting there with the G5, G6, and NX20.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:20:44 pm by BJL »

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 04:59:22 pm »

I used the A3000 the other day and I can say it's going to die a horrible death v the budget Canikon offerings.
Sony have managed to make it feel extremely cheap (even more so than the A58), there is no eye sensor meaning you have to press the button to switch between the rear lcd and EVF.

The rear screen is quite basic and low res, the EVF is small and not a patch on the SLT/NEX models out there. And the NEX type buttons and basic handling are far less suited to this type of body.
And finally as expected no IBIS. The other problem is that people might buy it thinking that A mount lenses will fit on it, which of course they wont without an adaptor, not to mention the many s/h Minolta gems out there. The final joke is the pathetic super weedy flash that has the power of one lighter if that.

In short, it's awful and does nothing for Sony or NEX in any way shape or form. If Sony wanted to experiment with a DSLR shape NEX (and frankly I can't see the point when they have A mount for this) it's failed in an epic manner. I expect many reviews to pan this new Sony, and yes it deserves it.

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 05:12:59 pm »

I have zero interest in this Sony, but I'd get a decently-spec'd F-mount camera with an EVF in a nanosecond if Nikon could be arsed to make one.

-Dave-

viewfinder

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:10:00 pm »

Barry....I think you have allowed yourself to be a little blindsided by the A3000.   Whyat you see as disadvantages other will undoubtedly see as pluses......

The fact is that A3000 is an interesting cost cutting an dprofitability excercise by Sony....if they can eliminate the mirror, both static and 'flipping' from their dslr's then they will have lowered production costs considerably.

Also, you have missed the big advantage for existing NEX users....the A3000 offers a '20mil sensor plus EVF' at a FRACTION of the price of either the existing NEX's with EVF, or, almost certainly, any new ones that will appear.   For those with NEX's and any Sony 'E' mount lenses the A3000 is quite attractive as a second/extra body.     Incidentally, the A3000(and indeed the NEX's) offers something very important over Sony dslr's namely it is NOT bound by 'A' lenses but can take pretty much ANY lenses via cheap adaptors available online.

I was looking at the A3000 in Londons Westfield shopping centre last weekend and it was selling briskly!...interestigly, Sony's nearest eqiv. camera, the NEX 7 was priced at well over TWICE the price despite being 'old hat' now and due for replacement.

I have a feeling that you are going to be wrong about Canon low end dslrs.....these are not popular with experienced photographers and novices find them heavy and complicated.    A3000 is new and relatively simple with good basic spec and smaller 'kit' zoom which is an excellent performer for weight and price and already supplied with the NEX's

.........And personally, (although not in the market for A3000) I've been wating for a simple switch between screen and evf for quite a while.......
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:13:07 pm by viewfinder »

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 03:35:53 pm »

I can see a poor product when it's out there, and sadly the A3000 is it.
The EVF is so bad it's virtually unusable, it's a comical release when it's obvious most buyers won't even glance twice at it.

As if it's bad to be bound to a Mount? It's got decent third party support, and a big selection of some very excellent Minolta lenses many at very good prices s/h
The adaptor element is fun, and of some interest, but in a consumer market which wants autofocus shoving MF lenses on there with an adaptor isn't going to set the world on fire. The NEX range is very limited in comparison, and with a very small s/h market for native lenses.

I personally think it makes Sony look very cheap, and I'd be ashamed to be associated with such a poor product. Sony are almost on an obsession about cost cutting, problem is they just look tight and cheap next to their rivals. I am sure I won't be proved wrong, because almost everyone who's tried the A3000 really thinks it's a poor camera

scooby70

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 04:32:12 pm »

I think it'll help if you try not to care so much  ;D

The camera's not for you, move on and be happy :D

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 05:56:31 am »

The camera isn't for anyone..when you see something silly from a company you have to point it out, even if a few fans don't like it.

A 200k tiny EVF cannot compete with any other offering out there, not with budget DSLR's around the same price. Let's hope Sony kill this one pretty quickly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up