Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji RAF raw file and Lightroom with Photomatix  (Read 8205 times)

jnmoore

Fuji RAF raw file and Lightroom with Photomatix
« on: August 26, 2013, 11:47:42 pm »

I'm shooting triplets for HDR with my X-E1 then processing both singles and batch in Photomatix. I noticed some results didn't seem consistent although the results are good. I found out if you use the export tool (plug-in) within Lightroom to process an HDR file the RAF will be processed by LR then run through Photomatix. If you open Photomatix and and pick "load bracketed photos" then drag or select the photos to go into this box, the RAF will be processed by dcdraw (open source) and then run through Photomatix. I did a few comparison tests and using the same Photomatix preset, the results were indeed different. Both looked good but had different curves even after going through same preset. I'll post a blog entry and reference it here once I understand more about this. There are probably members here than can enlighten me more.

Last point for now; it appears that you can't batch process with Photomatix and use the LR export function. If true, then batch will always be using dcdraw. I'm currently awaiting a response from Photomatix to be sure this is true. In any case, both processing yields good results; I slightly prefer dcdraw result after limited testing. (Iridient Developer raw processor is built on dcdraw.)

If this is also part of your workflow and have more to add please share.

John

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Re: Fuji RAF raw file and Lightroom with Photomatix
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:36:32 pm »

John did you ever cement out this workflow.  I am interested in following in your footsteps and don't really feel like reinventing the wheel.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

jnmoore

Re: Fuji RAF raw file and Lightroom with Photomatix
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:52:53 am »

Hi,

I still use the same procedure. I process the files through Photomatix (batch) for HDRs. These days I shoot mostly panos, so then I use AutoPano Pro to stitch together. Then into Lightroom for final adjustments and then sometimes into Photoshop for a filter affect. In the end I check the image in Lightroom and make adjustments if necessary.

This may work for you or not; we are all different in our approach. My work is mostly tripod based and triplet HDRs which is not what most people do.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up