Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: This 'Street' thing ...  (Read 21041 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: This 'Street' thing ...
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 08:29:28 am »

So, what was the purpose of your bubble other than to get a cheap laugh at the expense of the lady? I'm surprised at you, honestly.

You do realize that the photographer and the person who inserted the bubble are two different ones?

seamus finn

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 09:32:56 am »

Of course I do - I was just surprised that somebody of your stature, whose work I greatly admire, would have done it. A  good cartoon - yes. But an image of unwitting participants - real people who probably didn't even know their picture was being taken and who would be horrified to find themselves on a website portrayed like that - well, it goes against the grain for me. 

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 09:45:34 am »

Of course I do - I was just surprised that somebody of your stature, whose work I greatly admire, would have done it. A  good cartoon - yes. But an image of unwitting participants - real people who probably didn't even know their picture was being taken and who would be horrified to find themselves on a website portrayed like that - well, it goes against the grain for me.  

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:47:39 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 09:52:22 am »

What makes the thing objectionable to me is its judgemental title - Little and Large. Call it, for instance, 'Day at the Seaside' or something similar and it's in different territory.
Dear me. Try reading all the posts before commenting. The image does not actually have a title, 'Here's Little and Large...' is part of the post and is referencing perception of UK obesity Vs reality.

Indeed it does. Sometimes a title works to the photo's advantage, but as with my original offerings in this thread, sometimes a title closes down interpretations. I wish now I'd posted them without.
And why I rarely give photos a title.

seamus finn

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 09:57:38 am »

The UK is sadly following another US trend as we are the fattest nation in Europe.
Here's Little and Large....

I think you're on thin ice there, jjj.  Like it or not, the phrase is associated with your picture. Anyway, I'm done with this now. Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:00:11 am by seamus finn »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2013, 10:01:19 am »

Of course I do - I was just surprised that somebody of your stature, whose work I greatly admire, would have done it. A  good cartoon - yes. But an image of unwitting participants - real people who probably didn't even know their picture was being taken and who would be horrified to find themselves on a website portrayed like that - well, it goes against the grain for me.  

You have a point, Seamus. I removed my post.

It was meant as an inside joke, among a small community here. I would not have done it on Facebook or any other site with a potential to go "viral" instantly. However, given the possibility, however unlikely, that someone might take it from here,  I removed it.

jjj

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2013, 10:04:27 am »

I think you're on thin ice there, jjj.  Like it or not, the phrase is associated with your picture. Anyway, I'm done with this now. Cheers.
Quoting selectively and out of context. You seem to have misread original post and both subsequent times I've explained it. Well done.
Are you leaving conversation because you realised you were taking offence at nothing?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:16:57 am by jjj »

Isaac

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2013, 11:58:26 am »

Worth persevering with though?

This one -- "Quick, run!"

seamus finn

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2013, 12:06:18 pm »

Well done, Slobodan.

I have from time to time done the same with street shots I posted. Having looked at them in the context of a site like this, I've removed them fairly quickly. In the street, I'm constantly conflicted by the dilemma of people's right to privacy and the photographer's right to take the shot.

Are you leaving conversation because you realised you were taking offence at nothing? -jjj

No, I'm leaving because there is no more conversation to be had and I've given too much time to it already.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:30:15 pm by seamus finn »

Isaac

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2013, 12:16:56 pm »

No, it's physics [which determines the chemistry and in turn the biology] that is the truth of the matter,...

As I said - "True..."

...not sociology/economics/slow metabolism and so on, which people hide behind to excuse the fact their being overweight is simply due to their eating too much.

But useless as an explanation -- their being overweight is simplistically due to their eating too much.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2013, 12:25:44 pm »

... their being overweight is simplistically due to their eating too much.

Occam's razor to the rescue?

Isaac

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »

Occam's razor to the rescue?

Cut away the assumption that "too much" is the same for different people and different groups of people.

Cut away the assumption that "eating too much" is independent of what is eaten.

Cut away the assumption that what is eaten is independent of upbringing and education and income.

Cut away...

Hence simplistic and useless as an explanation.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2013, 12:56:02 pm »

Jesus, Isaac,

I often wondered if there is a chance that you finally reached a pinnacle of hairsplitting, the point even you couldn't outdo? And every time I think you did, you manage to surprise me.

"Eating too much" is "eating too much," for god's sake, however you slice it and dice it (pardon the pun).

jjj

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2013, 02:15:31 pm »

Jesus, Isaac,

I often wondered if there is a chance that you finally reached a pinnacle of hairsplitting, the point even you couldn't outdo? And every time I think you did, you manage to surprise me.

"Eating too much" is "eating too much," for god's sake, however you slice it and dice it (pardon the pun).
Made me laugh out loud.

jjj

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2013, 02:20:25 pm »

But useless as an explanation -- their being overweight is simplistically due to their eating too much.
But that is the only reason [bar rare medical issues]. There are however lots of excuses, which are used by people to pretend/hide that they have not in fact eaten too much.

As a break from splitting hairs Issac, please inform us of other ways of putting on weight other than eating too much. Exercising too little does not count - as it's the same thing.

Isaac

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2013, 02:20:47 pm »

"Eating too much" is "eating too much," for god's sake

You don't need to eat very much burger-joint $1 fast-food before that's "eating too much".

You can eat sack-fulls $5 raw baby spinach before that's "eating too much".

You don't need to consume much super-sized soda before that's "eating too much".

You can consume maybe a gallon of tap-water before that's "eating too much".
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:22:31 pm by Isaac »

jjj

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2013, 02:22:50 pm »

You don't need to eat very much burger-joint $1 fast-food before that's "eating too much".

You can eat sack-fulls $5 raw baby spinach before that's "eating too much".

You don't need to consume much super-sized soda before that's "eating too much".

You can consume maybe a gallon of tap-water before that's "eating too much".
Eating too much is still eating too much regardless of whatever you are eating. It's just...tooo much.

Also water isn't food.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:50:12 pm by jjj »

jjj

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2013, 02:53:09 pm »

To get back to something vaguely photographic here are some other shots from same series as the photo that some people got in a silly tizz about.

Isaac

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2013, 10:40:12 am »

Eating too much is still eating too much regardless of whatever you are eating. It's just...tooo much.

Being simplistic is just... being simplistic.

Also water isn't food.

Soda is.

jjj

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2013, 03:19:29 pm »

Being simplistic is just... being simplistic.
No that is not being simplistic. It is exactly what the problem is - there is nothing to add or remove from the equation.
Too much food=Excess weight.

I see you still haven't offered any other alternative reasons for gaining weight - oh yes, because there aren't any.

Also water isn't food.
Soda is.
...not water. And water is still not food, so not something you can overeat particularly as it has zero calories.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up