Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographing the Icons #2  (Read 1454 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Photographing the Icons #2
« on: August 26, 2013, 07:15:18 am »

Mono lake.

Dave

francois

Re: Photographing the Icons #2
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 07:23:20 am »

Love it. The very soft colors and mirror like water offer a good contrast vs the rough textures of the rock formation.
Francois

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:43:01 am »

The very soft colors and mirror like water offer a good contrast vs the rough textures of the rock formation.
+1. Lovely composition and colour. The only problem as I view the image on my monitor is that the texture of the rock formation looks a little bit unpleasant.
Ken Cameron

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:06:19 am »

When I see an image like this I just groan. Not because I don't like it, but because I wish I could produce something with such beautiful tonal qualities, iconic or not. I would have pushed the texture (micro-contrast?) in the rocks and most likely ruined it and received comments about too much clarity!  :D Very nice touch and I have to say that the contrast between the soft colors throughout AND the roughness of the rock is what gives the photo drama, IMHO.

amolitor

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:22:06 am »

Very nice! I assume you've noticed that this is very very much the same as your Tetons picture?

I like it quite a lot more, though.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 10:34:04 am »

... the texture ... looks a little bit unpleasant.

This is the first time I heard someone describing a texture as "unpleasant" (unless, of course, they would be talking about a sitting experience). You do not plan on sitting on that rock formation, Ken, do you? ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 10:36:26 am »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 01:37:24 pm »

That's the nicest Mono Lake photo I've seen, and I've seen many.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 01:46:41 pm »

The only problem as I view the image on my monitor is that the texture of the rock formation looks a little bit unpleasant.

Ken, You might want to consider looking for a new monitor.

Good shooting, Dave.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Mjollnir

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 03:24:54 pm »

Mono lake.

Dave

You got really tame conditions, all things considered, so well done in using what was offered.

Mono is known for getting pretty wild upper atmospheric conditions and really vivid colors both at dawn and dusk.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 05:06:24 pm »

Thanks everyone, it's good to know I am no longer plumbing the depths of this forum  ;D

Has anyone else noticed how it sort of looks like a digital stereo sound file displayed on your monitor, or is just me?

A similar idea was used for the Kate Bush Aerial album cover, which wasn't the idea behind the shot BTW, I just happened to buy the album some time after I took this shot. The album is actually very good, it sort of grows on you and I highly recommend it, we play it gently in the background for our guests when they are working their way through one of our full Scottish breakfasts.

Very nice! I assume you've noticed that this is very very much the same as your Tetons picture?

No Andrew I hadn't noticed that, but now you point it out, I agree, but I have always been a sucker for a nice reflection you know, it's a bit like getting two pictures for the price of one I think.

+1. Lovely composition and colour. The only problem as I view the image on my monitor is that the texture of the rock formation looks a little bit unpleasant.

Hi Ken, well what can I say, other than those are the textures nature decided to use when it created these Tufas (haven't I been here before, or at least somewhere similar?) so that's the only way I could I take it, sorry  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:08:40 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 05:24:46 pm »

This is the first time I heard someone describing a texture as "unpleasant" (unless, of course, they would be talking about a sitting experience). You do not plan on sitting on that rock formation, Ken, do you? ;)
The sensation is a little akin to a nail on a blackboard in its unpleasantness, and I get it from certain high frequency visual textures, particularly rocks. But only in photographs - I have no problem with the rocks themselves. Your recent shot of the dinosaur head was another case in point, Russ, and because you chose to point out that it wasn't actually oversharpened, I wondered if you had the same sensation.  I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with my monitor, which is quality and calibrated, as I get it with all the monitors I have ever owned. I mention it in part to find out if anyone else responds in the same way. As they apparently don't, I will keep quiet about it in future. Some peculiarity of my visual system I guess.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:34:10 pm by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 05:37:17 pm »

Hi, Ken, Here's a 100% segment from the center of that "dinosaur." It's really coarse sandstone, which is why at first glance it looks over-sharpened. I understand what you're saying. It doesn't bother me the way a nail on a blackboard would, but it certainly is gritty. Tufa's a lot like that, though it's limestone.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up