Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Budapest Door  (Read 1686 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Budapest Door
« on: August 25, 2013, 07:04:56 pm »

I've seen many interesting "Door" photos here. Please help with this one from the Jewish Quarter in Budapest. I am in a quandary trying to choose. The B&W rendering reminds me of some of cjogo's and others, which I admire.

Harald L

Re: Budapest Door
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 07:17:06 pm »

The graffiti makes it kind of trash. I would use b/w and give the contrast-lever a decent push.
Glad to be an amateur

cjogo

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 07:51:38 pm »

I would had walked a few more yards down ..maybe up an alley...The architecture is there in the surrounding neighborhood ~ just another spot would had maybe been better.  

From a guy who shoots lots of doors -- especially in Central Europe .

francois

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 03:43:54 am »

I'd choose B&W over color in this situation but I'm not particularly fond of graffitis…
Francois

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:16:21 am »

The graffiti makes it kind of trash.
Interesting. For me the graffiti make the image. How things are in Budapest now rather than just another pretty picture.
Ken Cameron

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:44:11 am »

The graffiti makes it kind of trash. I would use b/w and give the contrast-lever a decent push.

My thoughts exactly. I like off-centre framing but I think it's a shame that the right of the doorframe has been cut off.

Jeremy

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:51:27 am »

I go a different way here.  I think the graffiti IS the subject in the image, and it shows better in the color image.  The black and white image is incongruent because it looks like you are trying to process the photo to appear archaic while the modern graffiti keeps pulling the viewer's mind back to the modern world.  I think you need to process the image to reinforce its strength--colorful, modern graffiti juxtaposed against old world stone.

I would also consider straightening the image out a bit--possibly using a warp, skew or distort.  By doing this you could straighten the window ledge at the top of the image (make it parallel to the top of the frame) and the bottom of the door. 
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:01:38 am »

I would had walked a few more yards down ..maybe up an alley...The architecture is there in the surrounding neighborhood ~ just another spot would had maybe been better.  

From a guy who shoots lots of doors -- especially in Central Europe .
I did and just haven't gotten to them, yet. I found the setting very intriguing. A different and somewhat difficult venue for me. And I've seen your doors. Terrific. As I think about, the subject really was the graffiti, the door and surrounds just context.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 09:10:36 am »

I like the image a lot; it's a shame that the whole surrounding of the doorway isn't shown, but I do agree that in this case, the graffiti is the message. There! I said it! An image with a message, could I but understand the graffiti!

;-)

Rob C

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 11:13:35 am »

Final. Thanks for the comments!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 11:34:18 am »

It's a good shot, David. Like Rob, I wish you'd expanded a bit and shown more of the area around the door. Like several others, I prefer the B&W version.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 02:12:55 pm »

I have a couple frames, though this was the sharpest. I will have to look at the others, maybe I can make a silk purse ;) I will keep looking to shoot these sorts of shots.

cjogo

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 04:18:03 pm »

Never had the freedom to just "roam" with my camera > without a tripod and pockets of film. A vest full of heavy gear.    I used to "work" an image for 10-25 minutes a shot. This looks like fun  ;)  A great grab shot of street graffiti ~!
Pages: [1]   Go Up