Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Basilica  (Read 4457 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Basilica
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:10:13 am »

Going up the Danube (thanks Slobodan!) somewhere near the Hungarian border. I will try to find the name. CC welcome.
Update: Esztergom
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:14:03 am by David Eckels »

Rob C

Re: Basilica
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:21:56 am »

Going up the Danube (thanks Slobodan!) somewhere near the Hungarian border. I will try to find the name. CC welcome.
Update: Esztergom

Assuming you didn't crop - wonderful choice of focal length; fits the shapes perfectly to give a great balance.

Rob C

Harald L

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 03:12:29 pm »

Perfect. I like it. Hope the very best for your journey. How long are you going to stay in Europe?

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 03:54:17 pm »

Rob, thanks, no cropping (I did it, Russ!) and the afternoon light was, again, amazing. That means a lot coming from you.
Harald, thanks. We came home July 31. Still processing and culling 2700 images! Had a great time and will return soon.

francois

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:38:07 am »

Very nice photo! Everything is cooperating, clouds/sky, vegetation and buildingsā€¦

Did you shoot from a boat?
Francois

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 08:55:15 am »

Did you shoot from a boat?
Yes. Came around a bend and there she was!

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:56:55 am »

This is a nice travel shot that will be a great memory in a travel log or album. It isn't anywhere near as interesting or artistic as your graffiti doorway.  Looks a little soft to me--maybe noise reduction, I don't know.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:08:17 am »

This is a nice travel shot that will be a great memory in a travel log or album. It isn't anywhere near as interesting or artistic as your graffiti doorway.  Looks a little soft to me--maybe noise reduction, I don't know.
Understand. No, it's not soft, ISO 200 BTW. I haven't quite figured it out. Angle of the sun, haze from humidity, though it's not a tremendously long telephoto? It actually looked that way by eye, at least as far as I remember and I do because I found it so striking. I saw this effect a few times in the late afternoon and morning, well after sunrise and before sunset. Maybe some of the others that have shot in this area have seen something similar.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:12:01 am by David Eckels »

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 09:12:10 am »

Sometime a large diameter unsharp mask (with low percentage) helps increase local contrast and cuts haze a bit. (you would definitely want to mask the effect because you don't want to increase local contrast in the sky or trees)  I am guessing haze and ozone is the culprit.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 09:15:18 am »

Sometime a large diameter unsharp mask (with low percentage) helps increase local contrast and cuts haze a bit. (you would definitely want to mask the effect because you don't want to increase local contrast in the sky or trees)  I am guessing haze and ozone is the culprit.
Interesting nonetheless to me. BTW, I did apply USM as a final step.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 10:11:04 am »

This might be a tiny bit better.  That high-in-the-sky sun isn't helping much. 

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 10:17:52 am »

Wow, very nice! You have managed to capture some drama without making it look over-processed. I might have aimed the camera a little lower to get more foreground - but then of course I don't know what was there.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 10:23:10 am »

As Fike has pointed out with his edit, my feeling is the haze is more due to processing than atmospheric condition. There's almost (sorta-kinda) a feel of light tone mapping to several of your images and its causing details to glom where what you really need is pop.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 10:24:17 am »

...  Looks a little soft to me...

Enabling terrorists, aren't we? :(

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 10:26:02 am »

This might be a tiny bit better...

Progressing to aiding and abetting them now?

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 10:28:44 am »

This might be a tiny bit better.  That high-in-the-sky sun isn't helping much. 
Thanks for re-posting, Mark. Honestly, I cannot see a difference even zooming in using Windows Photo Viewer. Maybe I am biologically limited! Which would explain why I sometimes have issues with subtlety  :D
Wow, very nice! You have managed to capture some drama without making it look over-processed. I might have aimed the camera a little lower to get more foreground - but then of course I don't know what was there.
I took several Peter and will look to see if I have what you suggest to see how it hits my eye. Thank you.
As Fike has pointed out with his edit, my feeling is the haze is more due to processing than atmospheric condition. There's almost (sorta-kinda) a feel of light tone mapping to several of your images and its causing details to glom where what you really need is pop.
Actually this is one of my least processed shots, except for the sky, which was masked in PS. I appreciate the comments and the exhortation to attention to detail!
Enabling terrorists, aren't we? :(
I think that's a complement, Slobodan?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 12:14:22 pm »

... Actually this is one of my least processed shots, except for the sky, which was masked in PS... I think that's a complement, Slobodan?

Yes, it was a compliment to you on the "least processed" ... and a warning to Fike not to provoke you  ;)

As another Dave (Isle of Sky) asked in another thread, are we really that obsessed with processing that we have to improve Mother Nature EVERY time? I mean, I am as guilty of that as the next guy, but my workflow of periodically returning to the image to view it with fresh eyes enables me to keep that temptation in check. I find that, more often than not, my further processing actually scales back the excess and returns it closer to the more "natural," original stage.

It was July, people! Hot and humid. David was on the river, on top of that. A lot of natural haze there. If we "normalize" every aspect of life and nature, producing equally sharp and crispy images (read: maximum sharp and crispy) then we are going to end up with that dreaded digital "plastic" look. All the perfection, all the time.

Just say NO! Keep those little imperfections, those telltale signs of real life. Not every sky has to be tornado-dramatic, or kitchen pot-blue.

If, however, in a hypothetical scenario, a magazine editor or stock agency asks David for a super crispy, bleedingly sharp shot of that basilica and he has only that hazy one, then, by all means, go ahead and process it until you get the last drop of crispness out of it.

Other than that scenario, if we process all our images to the same clinical perfection, removing all the signs of real life from it, how are we going to remember, ten or twenty years from now, that European vacation moment as hazy, hot, and humid?

Imagine David, talking to his sweetheart twenty years from now and looking at that basilica picture: "Ah, honey, sweet memories... remember that European vacation when... I applied that super-duper, secret recipe mask* in Photoshop to make the sky above Germany look like a Tornado Alley one?

* A telltale sign of that mask (the dark halo around the basilica's dome):

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 12:35:24 pm »

It was fine as shot, David. It doesn't need any cropping, extra sharpening (or less sharpening), or color changes. Yes, it's a tourist picture, but it's a damned good tourist picture.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 02:02:21 pm »

Post Processing is like makeup:

Quote from: Calvin Klein
The best thing is to look natural, but it takes makeup to look natural.
Quote from: Mae West
Kiss and make up--but too much makeup has ruined many a kiss.

My example was only one possibility for that image. I will leave it to David to decide what the day looked like and how he might process the pixels to best represent his vision.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 02:04:41 pm »

Thanks Russ. It means a lot coming from you 'cause I like your straight shootin'.
And from you too, Slobodan! After that nice rant, you point out the deficiencies in my mask ;) How can I get that better? Over and over refining the edge in Refine Mask? Pixel by pixel touch up? And maybe I should incorporate a similar "pause" in my workflow, perhaps at least between LR and PS steps. I guess I am using these discussions to do the same thing...not entirely fair to you guys, but useful to me :)
Mark, did you see my reply earlier? I can't see any difference and would like to be able to see what you were getting at.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up