Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rudesheim Vineyard  (Read 1557 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Rudesheim Vineyard
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:41:00 pm »

Marvelous light that afternoon. CC welcome.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Rudesheim Vineyard
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:57:25 pm »

Certainly was! What's the statue?

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 02:00:34 pm »

Very nice, David. The clouds were performing for you.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Harald L

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 02:36:51 pm »

Great picture, Rüdesheimer Berg Rottland - one of my favorite vineyard where a very good Riesling grows. Regarding the statue: This is Germania, a German goddess, which guards the German river Rhine... : "Lieb Vaterland magst ruhig sein, fest steht und treu, die Wacht am Rhein." (Beloved Fatherland don't fear, firmly and faithfully stands the guard at river Rhine."

Glad to be an amateur

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:00:21 pm »

Overprocessed a bit? Too much contrast/clarity?

amolitor

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 03:22:57 pm »

I'm going to go against the crowd here and say that I quite dislike this one.

It's a lovely scene. The light was marvelous, the clouds were great, the curve of the horizon is beautiful.

But there's too much stuff in here. The sky is clearly the dominant element in terms of visual interest, yet it's the smaller part of the frame. Is this a picture of the sky, or the vineyard? The statue is incongruous, and by rendering it small and as a silhouette, you push it into the background, and yet it anchors the end of the horizon line. Is it important or irrelevant?

There's tremendous amounts of wonderful stuff in here, but there's no organization. This is a tourist snapshot that is blessed by being OF something supremely beautiful.

And it feels a bit overcooked, as well. But that might just be "print ready".

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 05:48:24 pm »

Great potential, but I see a bit too much foreground and the image is IMHO a bit too dark/contrasty in the foreground.

Cheers,
Bernard

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:07:11 pm »

Very nice shot...and agree with previous poster..
Great potential
...but it needs work (or undoing?) in color/contrast....there is a "harshness" here in both those aspects that doesn't help the overall image...similar to what was going on in the castle image. And I would look at version with a little of bottom/foreground cropped off as well.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:38:05 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Peter Stacey

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 09:14:20 pm »

Agree on the potential of this image.

It appears to me that processing has concentrated on the detail in the sky, but the image is dominated by the foreground, which draws the eye more.
Unfortunately, as a result of the processing for the sky, the shadows are blocked and the landscape is very contrasty.

Could do with two different processes blended together (one for the sky and one for the land), or a gradient filter on the sky prior to processing. Either way, less contrast in the land with more shadow detail would help the image.
[img width=80 height=11]http://peterstac

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 09:19:17 pm »

I stand by my original evaluation, David. The way the light skims the tops of the vegetation is very unusual and very beautiful. It's not "harsh," it's specific. Slightly unblocking the shadows in the heights might improve the picture, but I'm not even sure of that. I think the picture is a winner just the way it is. There's a lot there, and it takes a minute to scan the picture, but that's part of its beauty.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 01:56:21 pm »

Thanks, I appreciate ALL of the comments and would like to respond. I don't feel I need to be defensive, but I consider this part of the learning process. It was a high contrast scene, but I was hanging from a gondola and couldn't get a useful two part exposure to process in HDR. As Slobodan mentioned, I did have concerns as I was trying to lower the sky exposure in LR using ND, yet bring some contrast to the clouds. I kept getting those halos that you and I have talked about so I was painting out clarity right at the line between sky and horizon. I processed this image several ways and this was the best compromise. You're right, the shadows in the foreground are blocked when looked at in LR, but that didn't bother me as the interest to my eye was the backlit grape leaves in the foreground. Russ, surprisingly, in LR the upper right area is not blocked though it is close, must be something about the jpg conversion or sharpening. So other than usual LR NDF adjustments to compensate for sky and land differences, I did very little. In PS I simply duplicated the background and used a soft light blend followed by final sharpening. The light really was performing for me! Andrew, I kept the statue in only because it identified the place; thank you for taking a contrarian view. As for the harshness, that's the way I saw it as I glared into the sun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up