Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK, last stylized abstract of my pool, I promise.  (Read 1199 times)

Mjollnir

OK, last stylized abstract of my pool, I promise.
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:50:31 am »

Interesting study in color and form, or just multi-hued self-puffery?

Hollywood August Morning, Stylized #5a by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Rob C

Re: OK, last stylized abstract of my pool, I promise.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:55:06 am »

With a little grain, you're on the right track to symbolic mysticism.

No, I hold no beef with you because you can access a pool; I can access a sea and that makes me neither better nor worse a person than I was when I couldn't.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:56:40 am »

... multi-hued self-puffery?

MRI of your soul (searching)? ;)

Mjollnir

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:08:32 pm »

With a little grain, you're on the right track to symbolic mysticism.

No, I hold no beef with you because you can access a pool; I can access a sea and that makes me neither better nor worse a person than I was when I couldn't.

Rob C

Oh, hell, I wasn't bragging about having a pool; I'd rather live w/out one actually, but it's part of the complex where I live.

I grew up on the coast, and miss it a lot.  Living in Hollywood, I'm now near the coast, but it's just not the same thing as the Central Coast.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 01:34:53 pm »

Oh, hell, I wasn't bragging about having a pool; I'd rather live w/out one actually, but it's part of the complex where I live.

I grew up on the coast, and miss it a lot.  Living in Hollywood, I'm now near the coast, but it's just not the same thing as the Central Coast.

Hey, relax! I wasn’t intending to imply that at all.

To tell you a secret: when we were buying, we decided to look for places without pools. Pool, as in private villa, is wonderful; in a complex it means noise, thousands of additional kids from everywhere else, loud other-people’s music (only mine is good) and filth and additional expense for a thing one would inevitably find oneself shunning.

With time, many aspects of sunshine living that initially seemed attractive cease to be that remarkably easily. Beaches, for example, soon became a curse of sand in the car, in the house and everywhere else. Homes on the prima linea – front line - are the worst, especially off-season when the various stronger Mediterranean winds blow. The promenades look like desert scenes out of a spaghetti western with local varieties of tumbleweed and broken flowers from shattered pots racing across the desert/new beach that was the former, expensively paved summer walkway. As for the buildings, here, a click inland, we can get seven or so years between paint jobs; sand and salty gales strip paint and what it does to marine varnish on woodwork isn’t pretty either.

And yes, I appreciate that you miss the ocean; I would too, and that’s a factor that always raises itself whenever I think seriously about selling this place, something that for inheritance purposes would make a lot of sense. Then I ask myself, back in Britain, where would I find good ten-euro del dia lunches five days a week, followed by exhilarating if exhausting strolls down through the glamour world of yachts? Problems, always problems; ain’t nuttin’ perfect.

Rob C

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:50:01 pm by Rob C »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 02:29:22 pm »

To tell you a secret...
Rob, your prose is right out of something by F Scott Fitzgerald! Truly.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 04:43:48 pm »

Rob, your prose is right out of something by F Scott Fitzgerald! Truly.

I hope that's good; my mother would have known, but she's long gone, poor soul.

She loved the Bloomsbury Set stuff with a vengeance; Virginia Woolf was her favourite. I owe her a lot - my mother; Virginia I'm too young to have met. Do you realise: that's one of the very rare occasions when I have recently had opportunity to think of myself as too young!

There's hope yet.

;-)

Rob C

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 09:46:56 am »

I hope that's good; my mother would have known, but she's long gone, poor soul.

She loved the Bloomsbury Set stuff with a vengeance; Virginia Woolf was her favourite. I owe her a lot - my mother; Virginia I'm too young to have met. Do you realise: that's one of the very rare occasions when I have recently had opportunity to think of myself as too young!

There's hope yet.

;-)

Rob C
I like your stories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up