Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eizo or NEC  (Read 8032 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
Eizo or NEC
« on: August 23, 2013, 06:10:49 am »

I'm relatively new to the world of printing, but now having realized the amount of color I'm leaving on the table, I'm going to spring and buy a second monitor. I've narrowed the choices to just a couple, the NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK 27" or the Eizo FlexScan SX2762W 27". The price difference is neglible so it comes down to performance. Being as two weeks ago I'd say Apple monitors are amazing, I could use a little guidance. I know some people are very brand specific but any thoughts or feedback would be helpful. Thanks all!

JB

Steve House

Re: Eizo or NEC
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 09:07:24 am »

Can't comment on a comparison for you but just FYI, NEC has announced the impending release of an updated PA272 model due shortly.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 06:03:20 pm »

I'm relatively new to the world of printing, but now having realized the amount of color I'm leaving on the table, I'm going to spring and buy a second monitor. I've narrowed the choices to just a couple, the NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK 27" or the Eizo FlexScan SX2762W 27". The price difference is neglible so it comes down to performance. Being as two weeks ago I'd say Apple monitors are amazing, I could use a little guidance. I know some people are very brand specific but any thoughts or feedback would be helpful. Thanks all!

JB

I have the older NEC 2690, which I thought was about as good at it got until I bought a second, a NEC 271.  Just an amazing monitor and if you are serious about color, some of the best money you will ever spend.

Spectraview works great and being able to go from a pre-press calibration to a srgb web calibration with a button push is superb.

Warranty, if you need it is also very good, I had a problem develop with my 2690 after a few years and the replacement monitor was here within days.

Craig Lamson Photo

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 07:32:10 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guys. After mapping the color space of my Apple monitor, I'm astonished I'm only seeing roughly 70% of the Adobe RGB color space. I now feel like I'm taking stabs in the dark when doing color correction. I'm going to chew on the options for a while and then decide which way to go. Thanks again for the feedback.

JB

Rob Whitehead

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:35:01 pm »

I just bought the nec 27 inch a couple of weeks back. Very happy so far. Sure the eizo is great too.
Carpe lucem

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:55:32 pm »

There is actually very little to choose between the late models of either brand.
The actual panels are manufactured by the same company.
It all comes down to price, guarantees etc.

Tony Jay

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 08:38:52 am »

There is actually very little to choose between the late models of either brand.
The actual panels are manufactured by the same company.
It all comes down to price, guarantees etc.

Tony Jay

I don't know how well the Eizo compares in this regard but Spectraview is pretty dang good. 
Craig Lamson Photo

D Fosse

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 02:49:37 pm »

The Eizo SX is a fantastic, professional-grade monitor in itself. But the calibration solution for the FlexScan models is a lot simpler than the one that comes with the ColorEdge models. It's perfectly functional, but with limited options.

So if you really want to compare apples to apples, it's NEC PA vs. Eizo ColorEdge. And between those there is a price difference, which is not dramatic in Europe, but as I understand it quite substantial in the U.S.

IOW, you'll probably get more value for your money with the NEC.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 04:26:31 pm »

At this point I'm leaning toward the NEC, but I may just wait until I upgrade computers this fall. I'm moving to a permanent desktop solution for heavy work. You guys and girls can probably guess which machine I'm buying this fall :) But it will give me a little more time to look and weigh the options. Also the added expansion of a desktop won't make attaching a second monitor a nightmare. With a laptop, two monitors, an external SSD and RAID array....that's a ton of cables. Desktop...plug everything into the back and forget about it. Thanks again for the feedback all! Very helpful!

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 07:43:54 am »

I'd wait for new PA272W - it should be more uniform, with a bit larger gamut, and nice satin diffuser.

With SX2762W there's no real hardware calibration solution, EasyPIX2 is only a substitute and it comes with poor quality sensor (Spyder 3). ColorEdge CX270 with optional ColorNavigator license is a better option, but it has old type WG CCFL p-IPS panel, like SX2762W, PA271W. So the new PA272W with its satin GBr LED AH-IPS is more tempting...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 07:50:06 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 12:21:41 pm »

That's a good call Czornyj. I use an XRite i1 Display Pro calibrator, so I'm not too worried about overall calibration, but waiting for the update NEC sounds like a good option.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 05:08:41 am »

I have a really good deal on a used Eizo ColorEdge 240W (24") monitor. Paid new $1,500, letting go for $500 + shipping and insurance in USA. It's in excellent shape.

I replaced my 2007 MacPro with a new iMac i7 27", so the Eizo monitor is sitting unused. I already sold the MacPro.

Cheers.
Bud James
Philly burbs, PA
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

D Fosse

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 07:33:13 am »

I replaced my 2007 MacPro with a new iMac i7 27", so the Eizo monitor is sitting unused.

:o

The iMac display isn't even in the same league as the Eizo. Bigger isn't better!

:o

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 08:34:45 am »

I realize that Eizo is high-end, but the new Apple displays are excellent and calibrate well with my EyeOne.

Many top-notch (i.e. income producing) photographers have done well for years with Apple Cinema Displays.

Good enough for me.

Cheers.
Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Rob Whitehead

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 01:48:39 pm »

Since my last comment I've got the NEC calibration device with the spectraview software (from B&H). Effortless calibration, so much better than the early-gen Spyder/software I'd been using until now.
Carpe lucem
Pages: [1]   Go Up