Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer Differences Between PS and Lr4  (Read 2223 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Printer Differences Between PS and Lr4
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:28:10 pm »

I have a nice image I've been working on in Lr4 for an 11x14 print. In 5.5x8.5 test prints the foreground of the print was lacking contrast (it has shade) and using the adjustment brush was not fully correcting the problem. I moved the image to PS where I used the curve tool in only the shady area and was able to correct the defect I was seeing. However, I'm now seeing some strange differences between the image printed in PS and in Lr4.

In the PS image I ran Schewe multipass sharpening but toned it down to only 25% as the image had been well sharpened in Lr4. I re-sized the image then ran Schewe output sharpening, which I toned back to 25%. I printed the image and was disappointed to find that blue of the sky had taken on a greenish cast and several spots in the image had picked up a purple tone that is not in the screen image or in any of the test images from Lr4.

I discarded the sharpening layers and moved the .tif file back to Lr4. I then printed our of Lr4 using 360dpi and standard sharpening. This print is perfect.

Both images were printed on the same paper, same settings, same size and same .icc. Can anyone explain why the two images would print differently; fairly significantly so? Could the slight change is sharpening strategy cause this?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Printer Differences Between PS and Lr4
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:15:35 am »

Could the slight change is sharpening strategy cause this?

Not likely...sharpening "may have" and impact on tonality but not color...I suspect there's something else going on...

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:56:48 am »

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for commenting. I just finished reading The Digital Print this morning, enjoyed it and picked up some new ideas. Thanks for publishing it.

I'm thinking I have something in the PS pipeline wrong, though I don't know what; I don't mess with that area and leave it alone. I have a custom .icc I am using for this paper and ink and I know that not using the .icc does cause greenish casts to the sky - similar to what printed.

I'm 99% sure I had the settings right for PS with the .icc, this isn't my first print, but it does make we wonder if somehow the .icc did not get registered properly. Don't know how much paper and ink I want to waste trying to figure this out, but it is a puzzle to me.

Homer
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:57:31 am »

What printer, OS?
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 10:14:18 am »

Epson 1430 / Win7 64-bit.

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 04:51:40 pm »

Remo, given that you have a choice between Lr and Ps for printing, is there a particular reason you are wanting to print from Ps given how easy it is to set up and print from Lr?

Tony Jay

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 06:27:31 pm »

Well, no good reason. I was already in PS and I like using the Schewe mulitpass sharpening and output sharpening. So figuring why not go ahead a print from there?

In the two printed images, the difference in the sharpening is negligible, though the one from PS has no halos, the Lr image has teeny-tiny, totally acceptable, halos right along some of the bright/dark transitions.

BTW, I went back this evening and double checked my settings in both programs, just to see if I'd had "duh" moment and used the wrong .icc. I had not and the settings in PS were correct for PS control of the printer. Color settings in PS were normal as well.

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 10:59:04 pm »

Thanks for the info Remo.
Personally, I would just re-import the image back into Lr and print from there.

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up