Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper recomendation needed  (Read 2399 times)

huguito

Paper recomendation needed
« on: August 22, 2013, 03:48:14 pm »

Hello
I need two paper recommendations, I don't print much so trying lots of different ones takes me forever.

I want to find one baryta paper to use with Photo black in my 9600 to replace Ilford Gold silk, I want something with less of a warm tone for black and white and color.

I want to find also one more paper to use with matte ink in the same printer. I would like a paper that can hold a lot of detail, not too much texture, for use with color and black and white.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Hugo

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
Re: Paper recomendation needed
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:53:29 pm »

I'm using this, based on Michael's recommendation Canson Infinity - Baryta Photographique 310
Works great with my Canon IPF8400 and Canson's stock icc profile.

It has a nice thickness and luster finish, not too shiny. 

I also use Breathing color products, I inquired about their Vibrance Rag but their salesperson told me to wait for their new version instead. 

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 05:11:42 pm »

I think Hugo will find the warmth of the Canson BP pretty much identical to Ilford's Gold Fibre Silk, which if I understand correctly, he's looking to replace with something less warm.  

Hugo, you might wat to take a look at Ilford's newer Gold Mono Silk.  Slightly whiter base, and though advertised as primarily for B&W, it does well with color too IMO.  Thinner than GFS, but a nice paper.  And, for matte, I've been generally pleased with Epson Hot Press Bright (though I understand it has OBAs).

Rand
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:06:05 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 06:11:12 pm »

My go to matte paper is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth.  Great for both color and B/W

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 09:31:53 pm »

A great resource is Ernst Dinkla's web page:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

You'll need to download and run the Java app to get at it, but once you do you'll see that he lists among other things the LAB colour values for each of many dozens of inkjet paper types. If a paper you're interested in shows a LAB colour of, for example, 98 0.2 -1, simply plug those numbers into the colour picker tool in Photoshop to see a swatch. Using this, you can see objectively what colour a paper that someone recommends is and how it compares to GFS. (Of course, the main thrust of his analysis is OBA content, which you may also want to take into account.)

From what I've read Canson Platine Rag is cooler than GFS and well regarded. The obvious matte paper that meets your description is Epson Enhanced Matte, unless it's been radically changed in the five or more years since I last used it. Pure OBA-to-the-max white, practically zero texture, great blacks and gamut, but far from being a fine art product.

hugowolf

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:56:30 pm »

I want to find one baryta paper to use with Photo black in my 9600 to replace Ilford Gold silk, I want something with less of a warm tone for black and white and color.

You have had a few good suggestions so far. You probably need to make a decision on whether you want to go for cotton or wood pulp based papers, the former being more expensive.

I want to find also one more paper to use with matte ink in the same printer. I would like a paper that can hold a lot of detail, not too much texture, for use with color and black and white.

You have lots of choices here, including the two most popular rag based papers: Canson Rag Photographique and Hahnemühle Photo Rag. I have a slight preference for the Hahnemühle paper for black and white, but a much stronger preference for the Canson paper if it is to be used for both B&W and color.

For papers with a light to medium texture, Hahnemühle German Etching holds detail amazingly well.

Brian A
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:58:03 pm by hugowolf »

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 12:47:34 am »

My go to matte paper is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth.  Great for both color and B/W
Alan,

Do you have a problem with the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth paper curling?

Rob

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 01:34:47 pm »

Hello

The problem with moving away from the warm tones is the papers will then most likely include some optical brighteners, which affects the image longevity.  They still will look fine for many decades (according to most tests) but certainly will not stand up to any long term fading tests as well as other papers.  This is more important to some than others. I personally don't see anyone caring much about my work for that long, and believe that is pretty much true of most photographers and their work unless a photographer can gain some significant status (ie famous...Mike Johnston wrote a nice piece about this).

So the preceding paragraph is a little bit of a disclaimer for me because one of my favorite papers is Exhibition Fiber which is cooler than most and looks really nice for both black and white and color.  I wouldn't use it if producing a print for a museum to have for their archive, (and none have ever called me), but other than that I think it has sufficient longevity for what I'm doing and customers expectations, and indeed has a better outlook over time than traditional photographic papers (which are still accepted by museums ... go figure).

mshea

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 05:21:06 pm »

+1 for Alan's Hahnemuhle Ultra Smooth recommendation. Lots of detail, though it is slightly warmish.

My favorite PK is Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta. Quite neutral.

Merrill

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 02:28:54 pm »

The problem with moving away from the warm tones is the papers will then most likely include some optical brighteners, which affects the image longevity.  They still will look fine for many decades (according to most tests) but certainly will not stand up to any long term fading tests as well as other papers. 

So the preceding paragraph is a little bit of a disclaimer for me because one of my favorite papers is Exhibition Fiber which is cooler than most and looks really nice for both black and white and color.  I wouldn't use it if producing a print for a museum to have for their archive, (and none have ever called me), but other than that I think it has sufficient longevity for what I'm doing and customers expectations, and indeed has a better outlook over time than traditional photographic papers (which are still accepted by museums ... go figure).

There are some neutral to cool papers that contain OBAs but do not show a fast paper white shift in time. See Aardenburg-Imaging tests. For example the (now sadly discontinued) Canon Heavyweight Satin Photographique Paper 300gsm with medium OBA content has a Lab b -4.6 and a Conservation Display Rating of 104-136 Megalux Hours after 260 Mlux testing. About three other ones, neutral, with low OBA content that have a rating above 100 CDR after at least 140 Mlux testing. Among them the Epson Hot Press Bright White.

What could be interesting is the Breathing Color Pura Smooth paper that has a coating technology they call "Chromata White". It is neutral without the use of OBAs. http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/224/

You already know that EEF tested horribly on paper white constancy in time, the worst actually in A-I test results. A shift of Lab b -5 to b 4 seems to be normal for that paper.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2013, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.
Pages: [1]   Go Up