Field
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:56:19 am »

Field and path

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Field
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 02:41:53 pm »

Interesting concept but dull light, sadly.

Jeremy

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 02:46:11 pm »

The soft light adds a pensive tranquility for me.

Does all the world need to be mid-summer high-noon, I wonder?

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 03:29:43 pm »

I like the light, the flowers, and the path that leads-off to the right.

I don't like the fact the whole image tilts to the right ... nor do I like (what appears to be) the road in the background, nor that row of trees in the back. Snaps me out of whatever tranquil state the former was trying to evoke.

I'm thinking if you straighten the horizon, crop-out the top inch of this photo, and omit the row of trees and whatever's behind it, that you could create the appearance of a "never-ending field of flowers" with a trail that tantalizingly leads-off to ... (let your imagination go where it wants)

Jack
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:24:49 am by John Koerner »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:45:21 am »

Interesting concept but dull light, sadly.

Jeremy
Understand the tone is important, but I would play with adding a little contrast to either the field or the path or perhaps some selective sharpening, IMHO. The trees in the background don't bother me so much, but the "tilt to the right" throws me off a bit.

amolitor

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 11:02:04 am »

As with most photographs I don't like, this one strikes me as betwixt and between.

• The greyish, flat light and the simplicity of the scene seem to be trying to make a sense of mild desolation or loss or something.
  • The little yellow flowers and more or less vibrant green grass seem to be distracting from that sense.

Have you considered it in black&white? I think it might read as desolation, some sort of symbol of a path to nowhere, or some similarly artsy-fartsy stuff. Of which, let me be clear, I approve despite my dismissive tone!

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:08:50 am »

Field and path

Now your avatar makes sense to me!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:00:02 pm by Rob C »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 02:39:03 pm »

I realize that it looks tilted but it's not, if you look carefully the path is going up. I attached the ooc jpeg (only resized)to see how it was shot initially and a new slightly reprocessed version which should take the tilt feeling away.
I have a version without the trees in the background but I kind of like the framing (and there is no road in the back, just more or less the same thing).

I definitely didn't try to create a feeling of desolation, the area was quite vibrant.

Thought remotely about bw but didn't think it would work, I attached a bw version also.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 05:08:21 pm »

And here what it was on the other side of the trees where somebody thought it might be a road
Pages: [1]   Go Up